Shajo Skrell App

BYOND Key: (byond key) Shajo

Character Names: (character name) Marin O'Neill, Paladin, Task

Species you are applying to play: (species name) Skrell

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: (Color of your character; Dionaea & IPCs exempt) Dark Red

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Every single one! Which is why we're here!

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

(One paragraph minimum)

After seeing Skrell about on the station, I grew curious about what they were and really what made them unique. After reading more about them, I've become incredibly interested in this psionic capable people and how they interact with the world about them, triple so considering synthetics and their history with them. Just like when I play my IPC, I want to be able to expand into something truly unique and put myself into an alien mindset that comes with its own unique culture and mentality and enjoy being something non-human and amazingly unique compared to many alien races in other settings!

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

(One Paragraph minimum)

I could probably write a novel on this. The largest difference is the Nlom, which should be taken into consideration when around other Skrell. The thought field that influences the thoughts of one skrell and others as well and their culture that has pushed them into a specific manner of acting and adhering to their own cultural norms that make it difficult to sway a Skrell away from that which they've been taught and influenced through said Nlom. You also have, for Federation Skrell, consideration of their employment and actions because it influences their credit score back home and the very lives they get to live (being non-zeng hu and away from the Federation is a HUGE thing, where as its not really for a human). They also have a dedication to learning as a people which is not ingrained into humanity.

Though I said the largest difference is the thought bubble that influence Skrell, we can't forget their mannerisms as well. Humor is painful to them and they have a wide range of mannerisms that express their joy, pain, sorrow, and so on that are different than with humans. They lack strong facial muscles so their conveyance of emotion comes through tone of voice, body language, head tail movements, and psionics. 

Character Name:(Character name)  Hiyin Qwll     

Please provide a short backstory for this character

(Approximately two paragraphs)

Hiyin was born to a rather sizable Quya of nearly ten individuals, each bright of mind and with a heart the size of a star. Kurall, their Qrri'Myaq, was an individual of exceptional determination and thoughtfulness in their work, a quality passed on to the young Hiyin that served them well through their scuttle schooling and has remained with them the entirety of their life. A quiet, reserved entity, Hiyin preferred to engross themselves in reading and study rather than associating with others. Though they made the occasional friend in their reefgarden, these were few and far between. But those they did form a kinship to were held dear and given all the care and consideration that the young Skrell could offer. Eventually these friendships opened them to the idea of group research and they found joy in experiencing learning with others rather than by themself. This lead to an opening of their view of others as 'distractions' and turned them towards 'potential research companion', which served them well in their studies. 

Hiyin grew into a well educated young Skrell and eventually was accepted into Aliose University of Medical Sciences to study Xenobiology. This was due to a fascination with alien species that the Federation was encountering and wanting to understand them and how they worked in order to further their own knowledge until they learned about the existence of Slimes. Sympathy for the creatures and a desire to learn all they knew drove them forward through their first round of college life while their second cycle in the college served to educate them further in medical technology and scientific theory. They took some time to explore alternative courses as well, such as Archaeology, to give them a well rounded education. They did not graduate top of their class, but they were close enough that it was not long before Zeng-Hu reached out upon the day of their second graduation to offer them employment.

Given their interest in foreign species, especially after reading the articles wrote by Weashbi Jrugl, they happily accepted the contract offer and set out to their new life amongst, for the brief fifty years they planned to be there, amongst Zeng-Hu as a budding medical researcher.

What do you like about this character?

(Describe what you like about this character)

What I like is that it feeds into two aspects of greater Skrell society: Medical and science. It allows me to play a few select roles aboard the Aurora while exploring Skrell life and society with other Skrell players and figuring out, since they are very new to being outside of Federation space, where they belong and fit in along with the unique nature of encountering other species for the first time and watching how they grow amongst these other species. I also relish in the challenge of properly expressing Skrell behavior and mannerisms amongst others and truly finding out what it means to be Space Froog.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I'd like to think I'm a very competent role-player. I don't get to truly express myself through emotes all that often with the length and detail that I would like, due to the fast paced nature of Aurora, but believe I have more than a firm grasp on proper roleplay, etiquette, and consideration of others in all that I do when we interact through our shared story writing experience.

Notes:

Nothing to add other than I welcome all feedback to truly make sure I'm up to snuff!

This is nearly a perfect application, so it already largely has my support.

I do have some questions, however. 

1. You do not mention faith in your application. How does this impact your Skrell? Do they follow a state-sanctioned belief, or one of the few that are banned? 

2. Where was your Skrell born? How does this impact them today?

3. What is your Skrell's social credit score? 

4. How does your Skrell view the Refugee Crisis of 2463? 

Goodluck. There are no wrong answers. 

Thanks for the questions!

1. They follow Weishii, which is one part of why they were eager to accept Zeng-Hu's contract. It was a hope that they would get to observe, meditate, and try to commune with new celestial bodies and divine meaning from them.

2.  They were born on Qerrbalak, in the Ash'Alq region. Being at one of the larger centers for tourism and the Archives meant that their Qrri'Myaq ensured they ALWAYS kept far away from the dreaded 'toeing the line' and engaged them in various community efforts such as volunteering to care for the reef and various skrellitarian efforts (Humanitarian? Skrellitarian?). This volunteer effort has lead to Hiyin being a very active individual in their workplace, taking up chances to better their environment. A clean home, city, and workplace leads to a happy Skrell!

3. She currently boasts a credit score of 8/10. They have full intention to return to the Federation with all knowledge gained from their time with Zeng-Hu and try to use it, with all care and consideration for how how foreign ideas can impact the federation and how they must be carefully examined over time, to better their home and people. The only reason they are outside of Federation space is because Zeng-Hu's employment would not harm their credit score, otherwise they would have remained.

4. The Refugee Crisis alarmed them but also gave them hope. They are hoping that all these refugees will be able to integrate into Skrell society and use Skrell ways to better themselves while also viewing them as a source of potential manual labor to help stabilize the bottom line of the Skrellian workforce. However they hold a good amount of fear that the refugees could contain radical elements that could result in the return of AI to the Federation along with negative changes in philosophy. So one part hope, two parts suspicion and concern.

Hello and thank you for applying! I think Cael asked most of the questions I was planning on asking; however, I would just like to expand on question 4.

How would Hiyin feel about possibly working in close quarters with a refugee Skrell? Especially one that may be openly critical of Jargon and it’s citizens?

Thanks for asking!

Hiyin would feel quite uncomfortable working with one that was openly critical of Jargon and its citizens. A refugee skrell is a chance to help someone better themselves and join the federation in full and they views helping them adopt true Skrell values as their moral obligation. However, a vocal opponent would cause them to nearly crawl out of their skin. They would be distant and detached when talking to said outspoken individual, only communicating what was absolutely needed to get the job done before taking an opportunity to distance themselves when possible. A non-Federation loving Skrell would be a new experience for Hiyin and would be quite scary!