Bokaza's Mod App

Guest Bokaza

Basic Information

Byond Account: Bokaza

Character Name(s): Elena Raschnikova, Tony Adams, Aquites, Davis Wentzel, Berislav Tarik, other misc. characters.

AI Name(s): N/A

Preferred means of contact: Skype, Steam, Byond, Forum PM.

Timezone: UTC +1

When are you on Aurora?: UTC time: 15:30 - 23:00 on average, can extend to all nighters if it's interesting enough.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: First discovered the game more than a year ago, played for a month. Started playing continuously around 7 months ago.

How long have you played on Aurora: 6 months now, I think.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: More than a noob, but still far less than senior players. Otherwise, I have no idea how much there is to know, so I can't say.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Yes, once on another server I can't name, around 7 months ago. There was a weed infestation, no one did anything about it while I was trying to clean it. Got annoyed and decided to bludgen an assistant to death. I was new, so yeah.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: It's an almost perfect RP platform, which actually has graphics to speak of and has a multiplayer. Other than that, I generally enjoy Sci-Fi settings.

Why do you play on Aurora?: Because of the community and the fact it's the best HRP server around. I migrated from Hypatia, which was, in retrospect, a shit server. Rampant snowflakes, shitcurity and other crap that no one moderated. I think that Aurora has, at times, been able to hit that perfect mix of action and RP, which has kept me here from day one.

What do moderators do?: They ghost around, answer to PMs from players and help uphold the rules. They try to solve problems through dialog and act as a intermediaries between players and administrators, who are the big guns when it comes to solving them.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: I think it means to be OOC/IC police of the server, doing it according to the general concensus of the staff and rules.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I wish to contribute to the server and am generally annoyed by the treatment some players recive, especially the new ones, who have little knowledge of the unofficial server rules.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: Well, I can only say what people have told me and what I think I know about myself. I strive to be a diplomat, to solve issues through mutual understand and dialog, rather than direct application of force. I have stubborn levels of patience when it comes to arguments, unless I feel my own person is being criticised. I also have some levels of self-awareness, so, when people show hypocritical or bad behavior to me, I will attempt to fix my own behavior. In other words, I self-moderate.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Stress, I can pull through it. I've been under constant stress my whole life and I've found out it all depends on my mood. Anger, I get angry, sometimes too easily. I try not to act in anger, because those are usually bad decisions, so, instead, I take a step back, or go for a smoke to calm down, then continue to work the issue calmly. Insults, I deaf to them when they are not done publicly.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

There are currently two complaints against my behavior as a captain, which would under right light be granades in my chances of this getting through, but both are more of IC issues in which no one's round was directly damaged. If people in charge think it's an issue, I would like to discuss it privately.

Edited by Guest

I 100% agree with what Frances said. Not only that, but you play during dead hour, and that's sought after. I would have to say, though, try not to swear as much. It makes everyone think you're a lot more hostile than you are. I think you'd be a brilliant addition to the mod team.

Bokaza's an interesting person, probably because he has an approach to issues a bit like me. He focuses on solving them as efficiently as he possibly can, and any other obstacles that willingly get in the way are probably going to get trampled for it.

His ability to speak his mind without any real regret for what he's saying is admirable, as well. Some people frown on headstrong attitudes, because they often tell the nasty truth. I've seen people get shut down in OOC before by Bokaza just from a stupid assumption made by the former. Not only was it hilarious, but it looked like it felt pretty good to do.

And 'hostility'? Honestly, no, I've never seen it as that. The same people that cry hostility over and over again are the ones getting overtly defensive when a point is brought up against them and they have nothing to show for it.

We can never really have enough people who are progressive enough to understand what's right and wrong, and be able to voice that and call for change and have people rally behind it. I've always found that pretty cool and you're one of the few people here I really really respect.

Plus fucking one. I say add Bokaza to the team.

The qualities you bring to bare are all present and I have been able to take note of most of them in play. There's something else, though, that keeps nagging away at the back of my mind. It's somewhat difficult for me to word, but I'll try.

How do you feel you conduct yourself when your decisions are directly pressured or questioned? Basically, the concern is, at some point you have shown rather aggressively defensive of decisions you believe to be right. Would you consider this observation to be false, or not?

The qualities you bring to bare are all present and I have been able to take note of most of them in play. There's something else, though, that keeps nagging away at the back of my mind. It's somewhat difficult for me to word, but I'll try.

How do you feel you conduct yourself when your decisions are directly pressured or questioned? Basically, the concern is, at some point you have shown rather aggressively defensive of decisions you believe to be right. Would you consider this observation to be false, or not?

I consider it true, I'm a very agressive debater. I don't do it because I want everyone to think as I do, but because I either feel my points aren't getting through to people or my own 'rights' are being trampled on. However, I feel no ill will towards the people I debate with, and am able to drop the argument when it escalates to the point I'm not comfortable with. That said, I accept the will of superiors or majority when it is apparent.

I consider it true, I'm a very agressive debater. I don't do it because I want everyone to think as I do, but because I either feel my points aren't getting through to people or my own 'rights' are being trampled on. However, I feel no ill will towards the people I debate with, and am able to drop the argument when it escalates to the point I'm not comfortable with. That said, I accept the will of superiors or majority when it is apparent.

There is a big difference between being an aggressive debater, which implies heavy use of rhetoric and constantly exploiting holes in your opponent's argument, and just getting worked up about it and letting it turn into a game of who can type faster and include more expletives.

I've seen you, on several accounts, been very abrasive or downright dismissive towards other members of the community when flaws in your opinion and/or your opinion is challenged. I have also witnessed you continuing a 'debate' even after told to stand down by staff. I think you have an extreme case of needing to have the last word, or needing to shout people down in order to be heard. I understand that nobody wants to feel like their opinion is worthless, but I denounce your strategy of 'aggressive debating' and see it as a quality not befitting of a moderator.

There is a big difference between being an aggressive debater, which implies heavy use of rhetoric and constantly exploiting holes in your opponent's argument, and just getting worked up about it and letting it turn into a game of who can type faster and include more expletives.

I've seen you, on several accounts, been very abrasive or downright dismissive towards other members of the community when flaws in your opinion and/or your opinion is challenged. I have also witnessed you continuing a 'debate' even after told to stand down by staff. I think you have an extreme case of needing to have the last word, or needing to shout people down in order to be heard. I understand that nobody wants to feel like their opinion is worthless, but I denounce your strategy of 'aggressive debating' and see it as a quality not befitting of a moderator.

Tl;dr: Bokaza, you can get pretty heated with your arguements because you feel a personal investment in them. It would be unprofessional if this trend carried over to your actions as a moderator.

Is it really fair to jump to conclusions because you've witnessed behavior in the past without any actual context behind it?

Perhaps it's just bias because I'm a friend of Bokaza and I share quite a bit of opinions with him, but, I dunno. I say give him a shot. Everyone deserves at least one, right?

Yes, I understood what the issues lie and there was really no need to bring me down like that. Rethorics are not fully considered a valid debating technique and even if they were, these forums have nothing to do with debate anyway. It is a lot of people shouting at each other, at least from my perspective.

I know what cases Icognito's refering to and I really won't try to explain them, but it takes a bit more than personal investment to get me to act like that. In those cases the passive agressiveness is aparent and I usually can't do much but vent it out and regret it later. If you're not refering to that, then I'm sorry that what I consider directness and honesty are making people feel opressed, and I don't mean that in a passive agressive maner. I'll stop doing it, regardless of your decision about my moderatorship.

Edited by Guest

I have seen Bokaza conduct himself well in this community. For some time, I have considered his input and opinions to be ones generally worth respecting and listening to.

Even though Bokaza is not a member of staff yet, I trust him as much as I trust current mods and general staff. This is because I know he will always be straight forward and honest. He won't sugar coat an issue. He will say exactly what is wrong in a situation. I've never had a single moment where I thought he was being unreasonable, simply because he explains his views so well.

To top it off, he is even in a timezone which allows for him to help at times in which many mods are offline. He is the moderator this server needs.

Bokaza is the exact sort of person that should be a moderator. In my mind, he is already a trustworthy, upstanding, and otherwise ideal member of the community. It's time to recognize that and allow him the opportunity to moderate our fine server.

I support Bokaza for Mod.

+1.

• 1 month later...