AbandonedScholar's Mod Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: AbandonedScholar

Character Name(s): Alexander Lecter, Artyom Vetochkin(Not on Aurora for RP reasons), and a few lesser known characters.

AI Name(s): I don't generally play AI.

Preferred means of contact: I can be contacted on the BYOND client, Skype, or e-mail if necessary.

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time

When are you on Aurora?: I've always had a passion for serious role-play, and I like making connections.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: A little over three years.

How long have you played on Aurora: A little over a year, on and off.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I've been playing for a long time. I have general knowledge of most of the mechanics.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: On and off. However, never for an extended period of time, as in the past, I didn't have much free time.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: The only times I've ever been banned were for mis-understandings, and they were usually sorted out rather quickly.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I enjoy making friends, and I've always enjoyed role-playing.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I like heavy RP, and the characters you meet on the server are very appealing.

What do moderators do?: They deal with simple incidents within the server, and refer more complex ones to the admins. They try to keep the peace, whilst remaining friendly and unbiased.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: To be diligent, observant, and kind. To be able to assist the populace in maintaining an enjoyable role-playing experience.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I enjoy making new friends, and I like to have a seamless role-playing experience. I want a peaceful and enjoyable atmosphere, and I want to help make things nice for everyone.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I am personable, friendly, and diligent. I can be kind, but I can also perform more serious tasks if necessary. I am good at being unbiased when it comes to troubling situations.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: It's generally very difficult to make me uncomfortable. I am not easily insulted, and am not a very angry person. I handle stress well, and can work well while under pressure.

Anything else you want to add:

I am up very late in to the night! I sometimes find myself on servers where I am the only person, or am only accompanied by less than five people.

That's a hard question for me to answer. I don't really have any serious negative feelings towards the community or game mechanics. I don't, as of this point, harbor any ill will towards any part of the community. Regardless of any qualms I may have, I like to think that once the round ends, it's over, so it's best not to dwell on anything like that. If I were to consider any feelings I have towards any part of the community as negative, I would have to refer to the fact that there seems to be some underlying hostilities among some players. However, although these problems could be considered serious, I think that they are a minority among the very pleasant community that exists on the server. So, with that being said, I suppose I'll try to answer your question with an alter to game mechanics. I hope you don't mind.

I've noticed a few times while playing that during the processing session for criminals, both minor and major, there comes a tendency for the security staff to be overwhelmed, leaving the accused alone for extended periods of time. As I feel that this causes the player's role-play to suffer greatly, where in some cases, even I have found myself strapped down in a straight jacket for exceedingly long amounts of time, with no real contact to the rest of the crew, I find this to be somewhat of an important problem. Security can not always be blamed for this situation, regardless of whether or not they should be held accountable. So, I suppose, if there was a way to make this problem less prominent, and therefore make the role-play a bit more fluid, I'd push for that.

This brings up the somewhat unrelated topic that I've always wanted straight jackets to be escapable, even if it took 10+ minutes, as I have had situations where it would be possible to escape, even with a 10 minute time-frame for getting out.

TLDR; I'm a big nerd.

Well, an addition to the brig that would provide more prisoner RP is a communal brig. (Basically, all the little cells lead into one big room. Bay made it work.) Since we're currently reworking our brig, maybe you could speak to Witt and Jamini about that?

((Also, straight jackets exist by design so you can lock someone up and throw away the key. They shouldn't really be used for extended periods of time on a Heavy-RP server, except for the rare occasions where a character goes crazy for a legitimate reason, and ends the round being put in the insanity ward. (Like, they keep trying to escape or break everything). I don't think they should be escapable, because in situations where you would need to use one you gain nothing good ICly or OOCly by the person escaping on their own.))

This was really long to write something unrelated on a mod app, but I figured it was something you'd probably like to talk about anyway, so oh well.

Well, an addition to the brig that would provide more prisoner RP is a communal brig. (Basically, all the little cells lead into one big room. Bay made it work.) Since we're currently reworking our brig, maybe you could speak to Witt and Jamini about that?

I apologize, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was ignoring you. I've been a bit busy, and when I originally viewed your reply, I wasn't sure how to respond, as simple as the suggestion was.

I would certainly be willing to join the discussion on reworking of the brig. Is there currently a thread designated for these discussions? If so, please do point me in the right direction.

• 1 month later...