Offworlder Captains

ImmortalRedshirt

For as long as they've been in the game, Offworlder Humans have been barred from the Head of Security and Captain roles due to the physical requirements of both, according to the wiki. While this is true for the HoS, it makes little sense for Captains, a job that requires little of the strenuous activity that the average security role has. Most of a captain's responsibilities lie around their ability to lead and direct the crew under them, something any human with the proper training and experience could do, baseline or not.

• Like 1

Going to post to state that the restriction on Off-worlder Captains, was not created due to any physical limitations, but the IC justification that NT (at the time) had just allowed offworlders to take command positions, and it was stated it would be removed eventually:

Edited by GeneralCamo
  • Like 1

Offworlders aren't another species. Muscle atrophy is not genetic. They aren't "new", and have existed since the first day of space exploration, and there is no reason why they wouldn't be hireable by megacorps.

They can have the same skills and knowledge as "normal" humans, if not better, since they live on ships and stuff. An off-worlder ship captain with real life experience of long-term living on, and managing a spaceship with its crew and equipment, should be very desirable.

HoS restriction makes sense. Captain restriction does really not.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Dreamix said:

Muscle atrophy is not genetic

They do actually have some genetic traits reflective of them, vs a human that has mere muscle atrophy.

12 minutes ago, Dreamix said:

An off-worlder ship captain with real life experience of long-term living on, and managing a spaceship with its crew and equipment, should be very desirable

This is very true. We are also no longer on a station, but a vessel in long-term exploration.

NT has hired them for years, and it was stated the restrictions on them would be lifted eventually. We are now in a new setting, with a new head corporation. I believe the time to remove the restriction has long come, and this is an opportune moment to do so. It can even be an IC lift, as the initial heads hired three years finally get a promotion to Captain. 

Yes, I would like to see off-worlder captains. I think it would be nice to have.

I vaguely recall when these restrictions were a big discussion a few years back. If the IC reasoning remains that off-worlders are too new to NanoTrasen for them to climb their way up to being captain for them, it could be justified that the other member corporations were hiring off-worlders before NanoTrasen was. That way there would be off-worlders with enough working experience that the SCC would allow them to become captains on the Horizon. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gem locked this topic