Byond Account: Noble Row

Character Name(s):

Broadsword

Eliza Trin

Castile

Faraday Ja'Hadem

Auk'lin Vihnmess

AI Name(s): N/A

Discord username + tag: Noble Row (noblerow)

Timezone: Eastern-Standard Time (EST)

When are you on Aurora?:

Typically after work and/or on the weekend. My workday ends sporadically from 3pm-5pm EST. I'm on for a few rounds before having to go to bed, unless it's the weekend, where I can afford to stay online longer.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?:

I started playing this game when I was 12, back around 2012. But after a hiatus, starting around 2014, I was long absent from the game until recently.

How long have you played on Aurora:

Since around mid-april I believe.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?:

I still need to refamiliarize myself with the new medical system, but I feel comfortable with most of Baystation's mechanics. It's what I used back in the day, and a lot of it is still very similar.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?:

None recently, but I got to mess around with the moderator systems back when I started playing this game, and a bit more when doing tests in a test server for when I playtest sprites I make.

Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?:

I believe so. I hope to do my best.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:

I was banned one time by I think Roostercat as a joke. The incident went them saying in OOC: "The next person who ahelps me gets banned." and I ahelped "Put me out of my misery." To which I was prompted with a one second ban. It took me longer to load in past the byond non-member loading screen than it did for the ban to actually have any effect.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?:

I enjoy SS13 and the roleplay servers I have played on in my time here as a fun creative outlet. I get to work with a number of other people to forge stories and make memories in an interesting sci-fi setting that we all get to influence to a degree. The variety of activities in SS13, and viewing how it's a funnily cobbled together mess that thousands of people have contributed to over the years makes it very endearing.

Why do you play on Aurora?:

Honestly I started playing on Aurora because of the servers I tried, this one had a lot of systems that were still familiar to me after such a long break. And after spending time here, I have come to make friends and enjoy the community. In particular a good amount of members of the lore teams have been a thrill to work with, and it is just refreshing to see the passion that goes in to the lore projects and the energy the community has for adding more to the cobbled-yet fun mess that is Space Station 13.

What do moderators do?:

Moderators are a frontline staff member. While they do not hold the same level of power that Admins have, they make excellent use of their abilities to make sure rules are being followed and that the community is having fun. Moderators settle lower-level disputes, often ones that can be handled quickly and swiftly, with familiar adherence to the established rules. Moderators also coordinate with relevant admins when a situation might have gotten a little deeper than was initially anticipated. On this server, moderators help with player issues both in game, and on the forums, helping handle player complaints and other similar issues.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?:

Here, moderators hold a responsibility similar to all staff members. You are to ensure that the game is fun, and that everyone is treating each other fairly and with respect. It is a video game after all, we are not here to work a 9-5 (even though this game ironically, we're doing just that), we're here to unwind from a day of work or school or somesuch, and to enjoy making a story together on this roleplay environment. It is a moderator's responsibility to help where they can. Whether that is enforcing the rules to ensure everyone is having fun, or that is lending a knowledgeable hand where others might not know how to do something. To ensure everyone, at the end of the day, enjoys themselves. To be a moderator you need to be adaptable, knowledgeable, and most importantly personable. You need to be mature as you wield power few others have, and to be responsible with a clear mind when intervening. You need to know when to step in to help, and you need to know when you need to step back to let someone else take over. Having power means knowing yourself, knowing when you can do good, or when you should let someone else handle something as you might make the situation worse, and having a firm grip over your emotions. All of this, to make sure that people have fun in a video game.

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

I have been suggested to try for the position by friends. Initially I was hesitant, but I hope to bring my experience in leadership roles to this community. I have held staff positions in several communities in the past, both in real life, and digitally, and I do find myself enjoying organizing ways to make sure everyone is enjoying themselves. It is very important to me that people are being treated fairly, like adults, with a level of maturity that they deserve, and I believe I can lend myself to help here on Aurora.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:

I try my best to be an understanding individual and to extend kindness and courtesy to those who would extend it in return. I believe I am patient, and I always strive to be fair and to give solutions to problems and not fester in them. I like to explain honestly my reasonings behind my actions, whether judgements or other decisions, I want whoever I am working with to know why I did something, why I chose a course of action. I want whoever I am working with to feel heard, and to know why, if anything, something is happening. Otherwise I also love helping people, to help foster ideas, to help people who do not know certain elements as well as I. For instance, helping people learn the game we play. I want to help people have fun.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:

Space Station 13 is a video game, at the end of the day there is not really a good reason to hold grudges or be upset at a video game, or let it get to you. I pride myself in my professionalism under duress. And the only way I am going to develop that skill even further is to expose myself to situations that could possibly add more duress. Insults have never really bothered me, and while I can be annoyed or stressed like any human, you just have to keep in mind that this is just a fun hobby, and not let it get to you. It is not the end of the world if anything were to go wrong. You just have to try your best to help where you can.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

I would like to thank the people who have convinced me to sign up for this. This could very well be a blessing, or a curse. So here we go.

To you, the reader, I thank you for your time and consideration. Hope you consider me in taking the next steps here on Aurora. I will try my best.

Edited by Noble Row
  • Like 8

I've known Noble for 10+ years now and can safely say he puts in his best effort at trying and learning new things, also I've seen him help manage other communities such as in ARMA 3 (some of you know what that's like I imagine). I think becoming moderator is something he is perfectly capable of. He has also demonstrated his ability to work with and help others on the server over the months since he joined. I think he'd be great to join the staff team

+1

also a dingus

• Thanks 1

Howdy.

I have known Noble Row since his moniker was “Captain East”. Which is to say a long, long time. I was one of the administrators of Sertani Station back in the 10s who was responsible for community members including Noble. I am happy to add whatever credence I can to Noble’s history with the game.

Aside from being a more than capable role player on Sertani, Noble has managed numerous different volunteer posts that give him the maturity and story telling abilities to support a team like Aurora’s. From being a Dungeon Master to coordinating Arma OPs, Noble is not at all inexperienced with juggling the realism, fun, and most importantly people, a moderator role would require.

Communities like these can only work if the people involved are passionate and dedicated. Noble would be a credit to your community, and undoubtedly himself in the role.

Also bro is mad robust

+1

• Thanks 1

While I am friends with Noble, my support isn't solely grounded in that. If my past experience as a moderator is any indicator, I believe that Noble would work well with the team culture and server expectations at large.

Noble is an emotionally and cognitively intelligent person who takes criticism and feedback into account without immediately becoming defensive. In heated exchanges, he keeps a cool head to resolve any dispute. With how certain rounds can be emotionally charged, his temperament is solid for conveying his points and diffusing it smoothly.

Noble is a dungeon master and hosts ops for Arma. He understands the need to act as a behind-the-scene force. He's accustomed to adapting to situations that require sound judgement in fast paced environments, critical aspects for minimizing interruptions to the round.

Generally speaking, if I'm looking for an opinion on something Aurora/SS13 related, Noble is someone I trust to have an objective, level-headed conversation with - and he's one of the first people I go to. He's got a lot of good ideas about things in-universe and out, and is generally someone who is productive to brainstorm with.

Noble has gradually contributed to the community since his start, his latest project being the voidsuit sprites. He's demonstrated an ability to quickly meet the expectations of what he's working on without resistance to any needed changes, and in a timely submission. The fact that this app is here means that he has weighed his options, his availability, and his desire before putting himself out there.

tl;dr Noble Row is well suited candidate for this position in the character he is, his adaptability to any given situation, and willingess to work in a team environment. As long as he continues to put his mind towards it, he'll be a great addition to the modmin team.

• Thanks 1

I have little to add that hasn't already been said. I haven't known Noble for the length of time many of the others above have, but I have interacted with them a fair bit since they joined Aurora. In the time I have known Noble and watched them interact with the community, I have seen them strive to be a positive, helpful force for those around them. If someone has a question and Noble is around, I have noticed that they are quick to offer help in an approachable manner, free of condescension. They way they interact with others is agreeable and generally friendly, and I don't think I've ever seen them even brush against rule-breaking behavior. They certainly seem socially intelligent and mature enough for the position, and none of this is to mention their activity on the server and willingness to contribute to the community outside of the game, both of which are important qualities for a staff member to have.

I would trust Noble Row with the position more than most, probably including myself. +1

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...