Dealing system dates and times.

I'm probably digging a little too deep, but assuming each system and their respective planets would have different cycles compared to Earth. Would their dating and time zones be a little different? Say, a planet only takes half an Earth year to have a full rotation around it's sun and what not, how would they date their years?

I'm probably digging a little too deep, but assuming each system and their respective planets would have different cycles compared to Earth. Would their dating and time zones be a little different? Say, a planet only takes half an Earth year to have a full rotation around it's sun and what not, how would they date their years?

I believe on the NSS Aurora we use Sol standard time and dates as Tau Ceti is a SA colony. Standardization and such.

Stations probably have an arbitrary time that would be consistent to the station, but wouldn't necessarily align to any other time. Ships and stations would need people manning certain systems at all hours, so you wouldn't have 'day' or 'night' shifts, you'd just have arbitrary shifts.

You would have a work shift, then probably two shifts worth of time for leisure and sleep. Management would stagger shifts, so that they overlapped. Your shift is half way done when your counterparts shift starts, that way you wouldn't have security or maintenance vulnerabilities during shift changes.

The actual 'ship time' wouldn't really matter all that much, because there would always be people awake, and always be people asleep.

• 3 weeks later...

NSS Aurora is hardly a parasec away from the Odin itself, the latter of which orbits Biesel.

In addition, Aurora still uses Tau Ceti Standard, as Biesel does.

Since imagine we've developed further than the whole 8 hours of sleep and only at night style of waking, and the clocks in space are an inter galactic stardate, with a switch to local time when planetary orbit or when one lands on a planet.

Since the station is most likely orbitting the planet faster than the planet rotates, there isn't much point in using the planetary time. As it wouldn't make sense.