Virology as an independent job.

Jboy2000000

We were discussing this in a recent game, that it doesn't really make sense that normal medical doctors would have access to virology. Someone also said it would be easy to make virology its own job in the code, but Meow mentioned that the mappers would need to put in a spawn point for them. So, does anyone have any reason for not wanting this to happen?

I was just fooling around with dah code, and I got Virology to be its own job, took away the Medical Doctors access to it, and the Map never had to be touched, since there was already a spawn point in there labelled virology.

So yeh, if people want it to be Independant from Medical Doctor (Since IRL, they are two completely different fields) , its literally just a bit of editing to the current code.

There's no point in this.

Virology is not indepth enough to merit its own job.

Well... The Chaplain, and Assistants dont have indepth jobs. Assistants could be completely be replaced by Interns, and the Chaplain is largely unneeded (Who has a church in a research facility?) But they are still in the game.

Virology may not be overly indepth, but still, realistically, a Doctor does not handle the study of viruses, or creating their cures, just distributing them. It's not like making them their own job would be difficult, nor make the server's quality go down.

Okay, you're making this too easy.

The Chaplain, and Assistants dont have indepth jobs.

The argument is invalid. This makes your first point topple over and collapse. Here's why: virologist would be a mechanically dependent job. There exists a dependency on the mechanics to be in depth enough to provide value to the job. For assistant and chaplain, the value does not come from the mechanics involved, but rather, from the roleplay and setting that can stem from it.

...and the Chaplain is largely unneeded (Who has a church in a research facility?).

I explained this point to Sue over TS. Basically, the role would be filled regardless of the paperwork involved. It's an individual unto whom trust is placed, and the Chaplain serves as that one person. Supposedly, NT considers it necessary to have a job on paper for it.

Assistants could be completely be replaced by Interns...

Assistant fills the blanket role in departments where interns aren't implemented. Easy as that.

Virology may not be overly indepth, but still, realistically, a Doctor does not handle the study of viruses, or creating their cures, just distributing them.

Then use the Virologist speciality? Also, since you feel inclined to argue semantics, a Virologist is technically, or can be, a Doctor. So can an engineer with a doctorate. So there.

It's not like making them their own job would be difficult, nor make the server's quality go down.

Accessibility, over-complication, effort for realistic merit of idea. All factors you have not listed, all factors on which I base my decision of, "No, I'd rather not."

Viro was actually originally its own job; that's why there are spawnpoints built into the map. It was a job no-one took and no-one liked that couldn't do anything on its own without viruses from cargo, chems from chem, etc.

I honestly don't see any benefit from putting it back in as its own separate job. In fact. I think xenobio should be reintegrated into science, but that's for another thread. anyway.