Rate your Gamemodes!

Warning: this post contains opinions. Written from best to worst.

secret

When creative juices are running low, the knowledge that some kind of conflict is going to happen is comforting and brings together players that might not normally interact. I, too, like the surprise and variety.

extended

The best for delicious homespun events and conflict. However, I personally find it hard to play without being cliquey. I like making friends in secret, then doing fantastic detailed things with said friends in extended.

cult

I'm personally terrible with the actual mechanics of cult, but I've seen good cultists involve very many crew members in a high-octane combination of action and arpee. Bonus points for insanity arpee and creepy ghosts who add to the atmosphere instead of fucking revealing who the cultists are.

nuclear

When done right, pretty fun. The first hour or whatever is hard; most people just sit there expecting things instead of passing the time with fun arpee. Hostage arpee is nice I am not a death-rager, please kidnap me and maim me and whatever you want. Bomb-spam is not nice.

heist

I shunned heist until I had some lovely arpee with it recently, as a non-birb. I should really try being one, though, before I can shriek KIKIKIKIKIKIKI with pride. Definitely needs to be a part of the secret selection!

changeling

Innately conflict-creating, as there's usually death. Usually lacks originality of execution, but death is a decent baseline for drama. Bonus points for being more plausible in the universe than, say, wizard or ninja. Powerlings are boring and annoying.

traitor

Shines when the tator targets in some way an existing connection among the crew, but it's hard to guarantee those. So usually ends up being a mad attempt to create conflict with the crew.

traitor-chan

uguu~~~

malfunction

Often made sour by powergamers and a lack of subtlety on the part of the AI. AI winning, or coming very close to victory, gives a desperate atmosphere which can yield very good fear-arpee. Loses points for me being bitter about not being smart enough to be a malf, or any synthetic at that.

vampire

“There can only be one.” - why it's common for a vamp round to go by without anyone realising it's vamp. I've had a nice round with vamp, but it was based around clique-drama and so hard to make happen repeatedly, and for the crew as a whole.

mutiny

Better than rp-rev because it's mechanised and provides marginally better reasons to revolt. However, I absolutely cannot stand 'fire all females/xenos'.

rp-revolution

Lame reasons to rev. Also, as a person I'm submissive and obedient – similar to my main – so I'm naturally predisposed not to go along with the revolution.

extend-a-traitormongous

The name is silly and unclear – I had to ask what it even entailed – and I once got assigned antag a few minutes before the shuttle docked. Thanks, game, for adding me to the antag list and letting me be the target of antag-shaming when I didn't have a chance to do anything. Planned antaggery is infinitely better, in my opinion.

wizard

It's... a wizard. In space. Why. And I once got staff-of-changed as soon as I stepped off the arrivals shuttle. This seems to happen pretty much every wizard round to different people. I personally want it off the secret list, so that people who want it will be more likely to come up with a proper plan before voting it in.

ninja

https://soundcloud.com/the-theme-song/fuck-this-shit-im-out