Staff complaint - Arrow

Posted (edited)

BYOND Key: N/A, didn't happen in game
Staff BYOND Key: N/A, didn't happen in game
Game ID: N/A, didn't happen in game
Reason for complaint:
There are some issues I have with how the 2IC XO situation has been handled, which I will go over.

The first issue I have is that it was a unreasonable amount of time between the vote ending and the results being revealed, it has been a whole year, with almost radio silence in the meantime, outside of sometimes being told that the results will come soon. It feels like the same is happening again now, with more silence regarding when this will be happening.

The second issue I have is what is being proposed isn't actually second in command, so those who voted for it aren't getting what they voted for, while those who didn't vote for it are losing on Xeno XOs too, which feels like a net negative all around.

The third issue I have is how it has been handled, after the proposed implementation was revealed, there was a large amount of negative feedback, but that has not been listened to, and the thread was locked and it seems that the implementation will be going ahead despite all of this negative feedback.

Evidence/logs/etc: The thread on the forums, some discussions on discord too.
Additional remarks: Not much else to say here, except that I am not the only one with issues, as I have seen others also have grievances on this situation too.

Edited by greenjoe
  • Thanks 4

This complaint has been discussed and dismissed by the headmins/devs.

• The implementation that I communicated was discussed by the headmins/devs before it was communicated.
    • As such you would have to file a complaint against all of the headmins/devs which is not possible.

However, I will post my point of view on the concerns raised.

On 27/05/2024 at 18:05, greenjoe said:

The first issue I have is that it was a unreasonable amount of time between the vote ending and the results being revealed, it has been a whole year, with almost radio silence in the meantime, outside of sometimes being told that the results will come soon. It feels like the same is happening again now, with more silence regarding when this will be happening.

I am aware of this issue, and I consider it already rectified with the appointment of Matt as second headdev.
Matt has pretty much the same powers that I have as a headdev, however I still reserve a right to veto/override decisions on a case-by-case basis (primarily to be used when it concerns hosting questions).

Votes have always been non-binding and merely a way to gauge the general opinion of the playerbase on a larger scale.
As such the timeframe when or if the results of a vote are announced is not important in relation to a implementation of a specific feature.

The second issue I have is what is being proposed isn't actually second in command, so those who voted for it aren't getting what they voted for, while those who didn't vote for it are losing on Xeno XOs too, which feels like a net negative all around.

As mentioned above. Votes are only a way to evaluate the opinion of the larger player base and not a promise to implement something in a specific way if a vote passes.

I believe it is also important to point out (again) that the vote did not mention Xenos becoming the second in command of the ship.

The third issue I have is how it has been handled, after the proposed implementation was revealed, there was a large amount of negative feedback, but that has not been listened to, and the thread was locked and it seems that the implementation will be going ahead despite all of this negative feedback.

The thread was locked after certain people were unable to have a civil debate in a public setting.

In the closing post (I encourage you to actually read it), i have made the following statements:

On 06/04/2024 at 03:22, Arrow768 said:

There were two things that have been shot down when that claim was made: (see this post)

• Xeno XOs with any sort of elevated power
  • Another vote regarding the 2IC XO.

Everything else was up for (a reasonable) debate.

as well as 

On 06/04/2024 at 03:22, Arrow768 said:

If someone has questions (about the planned implementation) or is interested in a reasonable discussion, I am available via Discord DM.
(If I do not reply, there is a good chance I just didn't see the message / forgot about it; Feel free to just message me again after a while.)

Not a single person has contacted me so far regarding the 2IC XO (to the best of my knowledge).