Make the Executive Officer the ship's second in command.

5 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Would there be renaming of the XO as came up in another thread as part of it?

The renames were being suggested because "XO" kind of implies it is 2IC, which it currently isn't, so a different name would be better instead that does not imply that. No need for a rename if XO actually becomes 2IC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
23 hours ago, Dreamix said:

image.png.a338e1966b938a7cdf16f7b37e582f57.png

Sorry, I'm late, I should've set up a reminder. This thread is now a year and three days old. Happy birthday!

How's the results of the poll and vote?

We should have the results available soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Originally, I wanted to post the results on the 1 year anniversary of the poll end.
But then something came up that I had to take care of instead, so I had to postpone that.

Within this topic there have been various views of how the 2IC XO should look like.
We (Headadmins, Headdevs, Lore Masters, CCIA Lead) have discussed these views for a while can came up with the following regulation that will be put into effect within the next days (once the PR to implement that is merged).

The Executive Officer's Authority

The Executive Officer plays a key function on the ship in the oversight of Bridge Crew, Flight Traffic of the SCCV Horizon, and assistance to the Captain in overseeing general functions. To oversee this, the Executive Officer has been granted a vast amount of privileges' on the ship in order to see these functions through. Additionally, training requirements are in place to ensure the Executive Officer has a general understanding of every department's basic functions despite not being able to preform them, themselves. As tasks are appointed by the Captain, it is the expectation of the Executive officer to see them through and thus it is expected that other command members assist the Executive Officer in seeing the Captain's appointed tasks through.

Executive Officer's may tune in to other department channels in order to collaborate and ensure better intradepartmental functionality, however, they only hold authority over the department's head of staff when carrying out tasks assinged by the (acting) captain. Additionally, the Executive Officer does not hold elevated authority in matters that are not designated by the Captain.

In the absence of a Captain, should a situation arrive, it is the duty of the Executive Officer to help establish a new Acting Captain and assist them in seeing it resolved.

This are the IC-recitals and our OOC-considerations for them:
(Recital as in: "Text at the start of an (EU) act that sets out the reasons for its operative provisions, while avoiding normative language and political argumentation." These recitals will be considered in the future when interpreting the above directive.)

Recital 1:

To ensure the efficient handling of non-standard situations the (acting) captain should delegate tasks to the XO to allow them to focus on the ongoing situation. The XO should coordinate closely with the (acting) captain and ensure that the (acting) captain is able to efficiently resolve an ongoing non-standard situation. As such the XO is expected to carry out any order given to them by the (acting) captain to the best of their abilities. The (acting) captain may also give broad orders to the XO, which the XO is expected to carry out with the interests of the (acting) captain in mind.

OOC Consideration: We want the executive officer to be the trusted right-hand person of the (acting) captain and enable the (acting) captain to delegate tasks, that would normally require them, to the XO.

Recital 2:

To ensure that the acting captain is informed about all relevant options in a non-standard situation, the XO should inform the acting captain about the existence and operation of restricted-knowledge-ship-systems that might be relevant to the current situation. If required, the XO should also advise the acting captain about the capabilities other departments might have that are relevant to the current situation.

OOC Consideration: The XO should enable the (acting) captain to implement their solution to a problem and ensure that whoever is the acting captain can use all the tools available.

Recital 3:

To ensure that the XO can carry out the delegated tasks, they require sufficient authority to see them carried out by the relevant departments and their heads of staff. As such the XO also receives the same radio channels and access levels as the captain.

OOC Consideration: The XO should avoid overriding other heads of staff, but may need to directly step in, when carrying out the orders/wishes of the (acting) captain.

Recital 4:

To ensure that the orders / wishes of the (acting) captain are carried out, the XO holds authority over the department heads. This authority only extends to the orders / wishes of the acting captain and not the personal ambitions/goals of the XO. If the XO informs a department head that they are carrying out orders/tasks by the (acting) captain, the department head is expected to comply fully without undue delay. Any questions about the validity of said orders should be brought up with the (acting) captain and possibly human resources after they have been carried out.

OOC Consideration: The XO should not step into / override the department heads when that is not absolutely required.

OOC Consideration: The department heads should by default comply with the orders given to them by the XO and only question them after the fact (if at all).

Recital 5:

Should a non-standard operation occur and the ship lacking a (acting) captain, the XO should ensure that the head of staff with the most knowledge about the situation is appointed as acting captain. (For example the Chief Medical officer in case of a disease outbreak) The XO should ensure that the appointed head of staff can focus on the situation at hand, by assisting the acting captain with tasks outside of their normal expertise. The XO should not become acting captain unless absolutely required.

OOC Consideration: The XO should assist the (acting) captain in carrying out their vision. That can include taking effective command of on-ship-operations while the (acting) captain goes on an away mission.

Recital 6:

To ensure that newly promoted captains have a sufficient understanding of all aspects involved in commanding their assigned installation, they are required to serve as XO. In order to gain that experience, they are encouraged to observe the day-to-day operations of all departments in their assigned installations. When observing the day-to-day operations of a department the XO should not interfere with the operation of the department. The XO is not expected to know how to perform the tasks in a department or even train in how to perform said tasks. However the XO is expected to know, what tasks a department is carrying out and the general capabilities of a department.

OOC Consideration: This is used to highlight the IC expectations of the XO and further clear up that the XO is expected to provide knowledge and advise to the (acting) captain.

Recital 7:

To ensure that XOs are prepared for their promotion to captain, the captain should assist the XO in gaining the knowledge and experience required to become a captain. They should delegate tasks to the XO and verify the correct execution of said tasks. Should the execution of said tasks be flawed, they are expected to instruct the XO on how to correctly perform them.

Recital 8:

Executive Officers have the same access levels and knowledge about restricted ship systems as SCC-appointed captains. As such the same hiring and vetting standards that apply to captains also apply to XOs.

Recital 9:

As the XO is a step up from head of staff and comes with additional responsibilities as well as access and restricted knowledge, shift-to-shift job swapping between XO and head of staff positions is not permitted. In addition, shift-to-shift job swapping between Captain and XO is not permitted.

F.A.Q.:

Q1: If the same hiring standards that are applied to the captain, are applied to the XO, what will happen to the existing xeno XOs?
A1: They can be reassigned to another head of staff role. For example, Operations Manager.

Q2: Will there be another poll about xeno XOs?
A2: No. If a change gives the XO additional capabilities, it is logical that the job qualifications/requirements will also be updated accordingly. (Especially if they are supposed to become the trusted advisor of the acting captain)

Edited by Arrow768
Added Question 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The proposed changes sound interesting, and I can't wait to see them in-game. I have but one question however:

Does the XO, as the person responsible for assisting the captain, know about the self-destruct and how to activate it (including access to the code that is, currently, ICly known only by the Captain)? Can they propose to an acting captain to utilize it?

Edited by GeneralCamo
16 minutes ago, GeneralCamo said:

The proposed changes sound interesting, and I can't wait to see them in-game. I have but one question however:

Does the XO, as the person responsible for assisting the captain, know about the self-destruct and how to activate it (including access to the code that is, currently, ICly known only by the Captain)? Can they propose to an acting captain to utilize it?

AFAIK, only the captain knows this code. 

17 minutes ago, GeneralCamo said:

The XO will know about the self destruct and how to activate it.

I am absolutely NOT a fan of new species restrictions being placed on XO whatsoever
and others were not too, when I asked that question last year, on page 2 of this thread.

I kind of feel this sways votes, with the fact that it's suddenly going "oh, and any tajara/unathi/diona/ipc xos are being kicked out of the position now"

Edited by greenjoe
  • Like 4
Just now, Nagito Komaeda said:

It's.. actually really a pity that the hiring standards are going to extend to the XO now. Is that going to be final? This, I feel, would really hurt a LOT of characters - existing and new.

I concur here. This will put half or more of the executive officer staff out of a job, I'd prefer not to see this change go through if the same species restrictions apply.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Shimmer said:

I concur here. This will put half or more of the executive officer staff out of a job, I'd prefer not to see this change go through if the same species restrictions apply.

I agree, I'd want a second vote of something like "do you want the XO changes to go through if this means alien XOs have to change their job?"

• Like 3

I’m very happy to see the hiring standards applied uniformly, as I was deeply concerned for a time that they’d be forgotten or left behind with such a change. As they’re not, I can actually say that I’m happy to see this change. Maybe with more time we can even see the return of Service Manager.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Arrow768 said:

To ensure that newly promoted captains have a sufficient understanding of all aspects involved in commanding their assigned installation, they are required to serve as XO.

How will this be implemented in-game? Are new captain characters expected to first play a period of time as an XO before getting promoted? (If so, that sounds like it could be very interesting). 

Just now, Owen said:

How will this be implemented in-game? Are new captain characters expected to first play a period of time as an XO before getting promoted? (If so, that sounds like it could be very interesting). 

This is something that we (headmins/devs + lore  + ccia) still need to discuss, so the following is only my opinion and might change.

There is no requirement that a captain on the Horizon has worked as XO on the Horizon, but it is strongly preferred.

• Like 1

Sucks to see something like half of the XO population getting fired/forced to change job, but I think I agree with Carver, it just makes sense for the Captain's second to have the same restrictions as the Captain themselves.

My question is more about Service. Since the XO truly gets in their role as, well, an XO and not just an HoP, do they carry the same expectations as before regarding Service and how they were meant to handle it? (Chances of getting back a Service Command Role?)

Edited by Captain Gecko
  • Like 1

Regarding Xeno XOs:
Yes, this is a final decision and we will not make another vote regarding Xeno XOs.
Xeno XOs will not happen, as this would open the door to xeno Captains, which is definitly not wanted.
-> It is not possible to explain why a Xeno XO is trusted with the self destruct code, the same access that a captain has and to advise other heads of staff in non-standard emergency situations but not trusted enough to be promoted to captain eventually from a role that is designed to train people to become captain.

• Thanks 1

As for the change overall? I am generally optimistic about this. I was not entirely sold on the XO being made 2IC back when the poll occurred, but this does seem well thought out. As a person who frequently plays captain characters, I look forward to seeing how a more defined "right-hand man" would work. 

About the XO position, this is a wholly beneficial change. I think this will lead to less turnover in XO characters with them being given more defined tasks and responsibilities on a day-to-day basis. It honestly makes me want to break out one of my XO characters more, just to try this all out. Seems very neat. 

With how this leaves the captain position though... I am somewhat concerned that this will leave even less to do for an already rather hands-off role. Although, I'm willing to give it a fair shot with this new dynamic. 

2 minutes ago, Arrow768 said:

Regarding Xeno XOs:
Yes, this is a final decision and we will not make another vote regarding Xeno XOs.
Xeno XOs will not happen, as this would open the door to xeno Captains, which is definitly not wanted.
-> It is not possible to explain why a Xeno XO is trusted with the self destruct code, the same access that a captain has and to advise other heads of staff in non-standard emergency situations but not trusted enough to be promoted to captain eventually from a role that is designed to train people to become captain.

In that case I want the 2ic XO to be scrapped. Removing xeno XOs is bad.

Edited by greenjoe
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, Captain Gecko said:

My question is more about Service. Since the XO truly gets in their role as, well, an XO and not just an HoP, do they carry the same expectations as before regarding Service and how they were meant to handle it? (Chances of getting back a Service Command Role?)

This is also a TBD, so that is my personal view:
Ultimately Service is a department that runs itself. Its rare that the XO needs to step in to actually manage something there.
So it could either remain as is or rolled into the OM.
I dont think that there is enough content at this time for a dedicated service manager role.