StewardsCap Posted September 9 Posted September 9 BYOND key: unionguy Discord Username: unioncap Character names: Bishiop Sterling Tuiru Juiqii'Juukxu Zuir Isiak Limpopo Greophnadah Eternal Knowledge Birthed Through Blood Rite Husso Szs'Koask, Josh Zachery, Sezi Orgesk, Josiah Oved, Qadir Aranan, are some others that I think are notable but retired. How long have you been playing on Aurora? Ever since 2023, roughly in the earlier months. Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? I have received three major administrative actions, the first was about me murder-boning when I first started and DC'ing, The second was me using troubling language, and the third was the accusation of being a nazi dog-whistler. However, the last was sorted out, evident by my ability to play the server. Please provide well-articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each. What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame? My answer hasn't changed much from my last application, that being a mentor and voice of the department. While it is easy to understand as a new player that the HoS is supposed to be a leadership role. It is harder to grasp the influence on the atmosphere and theme of a round that a HoS has. When another crewmember has an opposing theme or tone to their character, the player can just ignore them, but the same cannot be said for the player's boss. For example, my former OM Ooruex'Yutiex Lish-Xoio was big on paperwork and attentive to the mission. This contrasted with another OM, who did not care about either. While the crew stayed the same, how they interacted depended on the OM that round. This is why in my original application, I say that " For the player, a HoS gives them the relief that a true patriot is in control, someone they can go to if things trouble them." and that the HoS has to strike a gimmick if they wish to enjoy the role or have others consider them noteworthy. The HoS is a banner, and one who is able to put things in motion for his underlings. What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them? Relatively unchanged; to set a standard. You have a lot of power and can use this power to turn an event around or ruin a character's life. It is the reason for the strictness and low tolerance, the WL is for veterans who are mature enough to make good decisions in the round and for the horizon’s story. However, you also have to understand that this is just a game, and that realism does not equal fun, immersion does. Explain how the recent events in the Spur changed your character and how they came to be employed on the SCCV Horizon. Josha Sloan is around 48 by the present day and has spent half that time within some form of enforcement position. Born in the heart of the republic, Sloan got to enjoy the Selene countryside for much of his younger life, deeply contrasting with the tumultuous period that was the early 20’s and 30’s. The most frightening would be the Contact war, an event that would mold his fear of nuclear Armageddon and his anti-solarian sentiment because of the actions of the APP. Sloan was mostly a bully in school and wouldn’t deviate from that. He worked a few service jobs before landing on security, enjoying the routine and kitted work of standing around public centers. He had considered military service, but was too afraid and discouraged by his peers, settling on acquiring a criminology degree at Tripneck university in northern Selene. He would complete his bachelor's by 2446, naturally entering law enforcement. He would also complete his academy training with very little hiccups and enter the service just a year later. Stationed closer to Belle Côte, he would begin to mingle with the more corporate aligned, shifting further from his alliance roots like the rest of the planet. His track record would be just serviceable, and much of it was overshadowed by the independence about a half a decade later. The new government had come with new regulations, which the then Corporal Sloan disagreed with. After a fallout with his superiors, he would retire from public law enforcement. Rather entering into private security in the year 2455, and surprisingly playing very little part in the 1st Solarian Invasion, which would only cement his abandonment of solarian identity. He would work for various small private security firms, before working under Nexus as a lead security officer in 2459. He would have a very mediocre service, before seeing action in 2461 with the SLF attacks. He would get into about four or so gunfights, all successful, and showing very little regard for the synthetic life he fought against. Regardless, he would land himself in Asset Protection Management aboard major nanotrasen facilities. He wouldn’t get comfortable though; the 2nd Solarian Invasion, D6 riots, and the Solarian collapse would only further strain the company line. By the modern calamities of Moghes, Qerrballak, and the Great Scarcity, Sloan could only wonder if he would retire in a largely stable world. The dream would only dim with his new assignment, getting aboard the notorious capital ship of the SCC. What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted? Pretty much all the command roles at some point, barring CMO. Have you familiarized yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles? Yes Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking: Josha Sloan, Head of Security Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? Yeah Have you linked your BYOND account to the Forums? Yes Extra notes: Applying for Command again was no easy decision, but I firmly believe in its requirement and hope to use it wisely. My hope with Sloan is to push my leadership ability to the limit and see how well I can do under more, quick-paced, on-the-fly situations.
Lordnesh Posted September 9 Posted September 9 A core component of command is leadership. Specifically, the kind of leadership where you, the player, are meant to be an example to others. An example of the kind of quality we expect of our players. You are not that guy. Not right now. Between the OOC issues, and my own personal experience with your characters, I do not believe you would be a good fit for command. Maybe in a few months you could be, but not right on the heels of two different complaints, and my own personal experience with a couple of your characters. If in a few months I've seen a couple serious characters from you, and there's no new behavioral issues, then maybe. Right now though? It's a no from me. 2
dessysalta Posted September 9 Posted September 9 I have to agree with Lordnesh in that you seem to struggle with level-headed characters and interpretations of reasonable actions. While I'm never against letting someone trial to see how they do—seeing as command is a different beast and I struggled quite a bit myself—I would like to see a professional, well-rounded pillar of corporate security, one that treats their job with respect and is cognizant of how they can influence the workforce (both IC and OOC). You need to be very careful with how you choose to involve yourself (and others) in conflict and cannot overstep established corporate or legal regulations; you're going to be the example for everyone who comes after you. That all said, you've demonstrated a great amount of growth since your first arrival and I, personally, would love to shadow your character during your trial.
StewardsCap Posted September 9 Author Posted September 9 8 hours ago, Lordnesh said: You are not that guy. Not right now. Between the OOC issues, and my own personal experience with your characters, I do not believe you would be a good fit for command. Maybe in a few months you could be, but not right on the heels of two different complaints, and my own personal experience with a couple of your characters. Yeah pretty understandable critique, I tend to play the game differently depending on which character I choose, and the character I assume you are referring to is one I do not take very seriously. I can understand your distaste towards me, and if accepted or not, I hope I can spin that around.
Fyni Posted September 12 Posted September 12 The team had a chat about this, and we're going to give you a trial as a chance to impress. On trial until 20 SEP. Be sure to post this app once per round for feedback. 1
NerdyVampire Posted September 15 Posted September 15 (edited) I played two shifts with your head of security and I felt you took it seriously and dealt with the issues at hand properly, I believe you led your departments well, though it would need a sec player to vouch for. But from my view-point your HoS is a reasonable addition to the command team. Please, keep it up Edited September 15 by NerdyVampire 1
Warbidon Posted September 15 Posted September 15 I've interacted with your head of security across two rounds as of me writing this comment. There is a rhythm to playing a command character, and it's one that takes time to settle into it well. I don't think you've quite settled into it a hundred percent, working more as a fellow co-worker than a position of authority, but that's a personal preference of mine over a rule to abide by. Outside of that perception, I think you had a good sense of giving orders, talking to people to get aware of situation and all the other things from my perception. 1
StewardsCap Posted September 15 Author Posted September 15 (edited) 27 minutes ago, Warbidon said: There is a rhythm to playing a command character, and it's one that takes time to settle into it well. I don't think you've quite settled into it a hundred percent, working more as a fellow co-worker than a position of authority, but that's a personal preference of mine over a rule to abide by. Yeah, this is something I noticed myself on the merc round. I was thinking "I feel like a glorified Security Officer", I think I improved in the ops round, but I am definitely being a little more laid back than I should be. I'll start getting into that leadership role, and making my voice heard for the public as well. Edited September 15 by StewardsCap minor errors from typing too fast ;(
NerdyVampire Posted September 17 Posted September 17 I had another round with Sloan, where I had left a slanderous note to be found. I think you handled it well, especially letting me argue against it instead of shutting me down. It gave much more breadth to do roleplay, and the spill-off led to more down the line. Listening in on the command and security channel, I also feel you treated me fairly as an antag, without being stupidly blind to my possible antagonism. 1
Floppafloppafloppa Posted September 17 Posted September 17 Ive been having good rounds with Sloan, you know how to organize the team while giving antag the proper leeway to act and theres been some good bits like the powerpoint presentation and the office talks, which I find very fun. Youve been playing him with proper believability aswell and that changed what I thought of you because of how you played Stirling, so I'm all in and looking forward for rounds with you and Sloan if your WL gets accepted. +1 1
ASmallCuteCat Posted September 17 Posted September 17 I like that Sloan comes around to the bar to get a drink and chat - socializing outside the department may be small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but even small potatoes add up. I don't play security so I can't really give feedback on that, it's just good to see Command hanging out with the rest of the crew. 1
StewardsCap Posted September 18 Author Posted September 18 12 hours ago, ASmallCuteCat said: I like that Sloan comes around to the bar to get a drink and chat - socializing outside the department may be small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but even small potatoes add up. I don't play security so I can't really give feedback on that, it's just good to see Command hanging out with the rest of the crew. Thank you! I'm hoping to make it a routine to go to the bar, like the olden days. Also looking forward to write more memos/interdepartmental communications!
Fyni Posted September 22 Posted September 22 (edited) Sorry about the delay. The team chatted this over, and this is approved. Edited September 22 by Fyni
Recommended Posts