Making Psychiatrists Play A Bigger Role

So far the psychiatrist seems pretty much useless. And I play as one often enough to know. They can't know any real life saving skills like Surgery or Trauma Care. They don't fix the station. They don't take down criminals. They don't even cook food.

So I was thinking, why couldn't each person, or a few random people in a percentage of the population, start out with a random debuff curable by prescription medication they can get from the psychiatrist? It would add more importance of the job. It would also be nice to see new medications in the game targeting said debuffs. And rounds would be more exciting with people committing crimes because a voice in their head told them too.

Just a thought. Sorry if this came up before, I only skimmed the older topics.

Each and every job is only what you make out of it. Yes, engineers fix things, but they can do other things. Yes, doctors fix people and save lives, but they can also do other things. Yes, security officers robust those pesky antags and otherwise, but they can also do other things.

On a heavy roleplay server, the jobs aren't always about their in-game mechanic. Perhaps, a psychiatrist should try getting into medical's things more? When someone is cloned, try to jump in and say that they should receive a psychiatric evaluation, or something. Adding random debuffs to random characters without their own consent might prove to be just an annoyance, especially if there's no one to perscribe the antidote to their illness.

As a psychiatrist you need to go looking for work more than waiting for it to come to you. Check peoples medical records and if they have something iffy in it tell them to come in for a psychiatric evaluation. Same said for when people do strange crimes (like killing animals) and tell security they need a evaluation. What cake said about random debuffs without peoples consent would be a annoyance more than anything, especially when no one is there to fix it. Lots of people like to play the "crazy" person, you got to hunt them down and evaluate their asses.

The psych is one of two things. Either they're one of the most roleplay intensive characters who will pull apart your character and their history, feelings and motivation, and thus force your own characters to be more fully realized... or they're the dumping ground for the terminal idiots that Security doesn't want to deal with.

The psych is one of two things. Either they're one of the most roleplay intensive characters who will pull apart your character and their history, feelings and motivation, and thus force your own characters to be more fully realized... or they're the dumping ground for the terminal idiots that Security doesn't want to deal with.

It's almost always the second, and no one wants to deal with the second. It's draining on you, as you are usually speaking to a person who is thirteen and is going I NEED TO CUT MYSELF TO UNDERSTAND PAIN.

ONLY WHEN I CUT MYSELF DO I LEARN MYSELF.

these are actual things I had a bald chef inform me last time I was a psych. I sent him out the door because I couldn't even fucking-

It's unpleasant. Not as bad as Lawyers were, at least.