How does antag lore work?

What I mean by that, is, I just put up my wizard lore for canonization, but, how does that work? Generally, things that are considered canon exist 100% of the time, but wizards are antags, so them and their actions be considered canon, right? So, does antag lore only exist IN antag rounds, or would stuff like wizards just become part of the normal lore in all rounds?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

All types of antagonists exist in our universe. But here's how it works.

Antagonist rounds are not canon. They are only canon for their specific round.

Every cult round has the cult infiltrate the Aurora for the first time. The cult exists in our universe, but no cultists can be on the station in anything other than cult rounds.

"Wizards" exist, but they are only known once they arrive on the station.

Traitors exist, and due to the antag contest, their actions are canon for the universe, but not Aurora itself.

This is to allow these organizations to exist but not be canon on the Aurora's continued development. This is to avoid having the lampshade the fact the Aurora is the target of wizards, aliens, doomsday cults, and mercenaries every 4 hours.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Marlon Phoenix
I generally take it to mean that the organizations exist, but they have yet to act outright to NT. Each round is supposed to be a "first contact" with said antag, Aurora being the first station ever targeted by them. It allows those groups to RP on the forums and the like.

Yes and no. It's very loosey goosey. Our universe is filled with intrigue and plots in a sort of meta-Game of Thrones: In Space. The Aurora can have low-key incidents kept canon every now and then, since Tau Ceti is the center of a lot of focus from all the major factions. It's just mandatory that these incidents are alluded to or kept vague, as in "A security incident that caused damage to the port solars..." or "A security incident claimed the lives of a researcher today, after an armed group attempted to storm the Nanotrasen research station."

But these aren't supposed to be every round, and only really count where it's required by meta-narrative. For some characters it's even required; usually the ones with perma-death rules that were killed off by antag actions. The closed-off and secretive nature of all parties involved means information about these things would be sporadic and inconsistent, so it's consistent for the universe.

Basically:

Antag lore is only canon if it evolves from a round itself in a very abstract way, and it has to be underwhelming enough that it's reasonable to have crew return to work after a clean up crew fixed up the Aurora. We're not blowing it up until we move to the ground map anyway.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
I generally take it to mean that the organizations exist, but they have yet to act outright to NT. Each round is supposed to be a "first contact" with said antag, Aurora being the first station ever targeted by them. It allows those groups to RP on the forums and the like.

Yes and no. It's very loosey goosey. Our universe is filled with intrigue and plots in a sort of meta-Game of Thrones: In Space. The Aurora can have low-key incidents kept canon every now and then, since Tau Ceti is the center of a lot of focus from all the major factions. It's just mandatory that these incidents are alluded to or kept vague, as in "A security incident that caused damage to the port solars..." or "A security incident claimed the lives of a researcher today, after an armed group attempted to storm the Nanotrasen research station."

But these aren't supposed to be every round, and only really count where it's required by meta-narrative. For some characters it's even required; usually the ones with perma-death rules that were killed off by antag actions. The closed-off and secretive nature of all parties involved means information about these things would be sporadic and inconsistent, so it's consistent for the universe.

Basically:

Antag lore is only canon if it evolves from a round itself in a very abstract way, and it has to be underwhelming enough that it's reasonable to have crew return to work after a clean up crew fixed up the Aurora. We're not blowing it up until we move to the ground map anyway.

Allow Skull to find his rocking chair, drag it onto Aurora's front porch, light his pipe and tell you a story.

Basically, I'll explain how canon-antags used to work about a year and some months ago. First off, every character involved adhered to a very simple set of ground rules (which I refer to as the gentlemen's rules, or the rules to the gentlemen's game):

• everything that happens is kept canon, unless it's the result of a griefer/grief (and no off-station deus ex machina);
    • Note though, if you get captured and properly held by a rando, then you keep it canon. Seriously. Because your defeat was underwhelming isn't an excuse to not canonize it. The only excuse is grief.

[*]large scale antag operations require your character to be a traitor ingame (contact an admin to set yourself up, seriously, do it);

[*]small scale antag operations, such as communications, recruitment, etcetera, can be conducted without a traitor status (however, the character is still susceptible to punishment, which, as per the first rule, is to be kept canon and recorded).

The first rule is a showcase of a difference in mindset, perhaps something I miss? Basically, all of the antag-shenanigans-goodness happened on our station and it was kept as a part of the station's canon. I imagine it worked because of two reasons. First, the targets were people, and not the station. So there wasn't a need to explain how the station was rebuilt after everyone died in holy hellfire. The second was the fact that everyone was kind of on the same par, as far as the "snowflake meter" went. It was completely fine to be captured by a terrorist, tortured and then spat out as the ERT rolled in and saved you (obviously, as per the first rule, you did have to RP out the wounds, both mental and physical).

There were a few mechanics used by antagonists to get onto the station, and to move around more freely:

• undercover identities, acquired off-screen;
  • spawning of the character on the nuke-ops base, and usage of the resources there (again, contact an admin to set yourself up. We were helped greatly by the fact that myself and Chris, Head Dev and Head Admin, were both involved with the storyline, so we were rather warm to the idea. You may need to conduct a bit of planning and communicating with the current admins to help this).

I was one of the folks who used an undercover identities to play an antagonist character on station with relative frequency, but I kept myself to a few guidelines, as to stop a deus ex machina approach. Namely, all of them had fleshed out records which, upon better inspection, would lead one to suspect my character. Further, I limited the amount of flexibility my character had when it came to his appearance and behaviour. Obviously, an act is required, but the underlying persona was still there and detectable. Things could also get very hilarious whenever the identity did not match his training, and he was forced to figure shit out on the fly. Also, bonus points if you can destroy the blackbox recorder (securityfeeds).

That's basically how it worked. Emphasis on the three rules to the gentlemen's game that I outlined.

Allow Skull to find his rocking chair, drag it onto Aurora's front porch, light his pipe and tell you a story.

Basically, I'll explain how canon-antags used to work about a year and some months ago. First off, every character involved adhered to a very simple set of ground rules (which I refer to as the gentlemen's rules, or the rules to the gentlemen's game):

• everything that happens is kept canon, unless it's the result of a griefer/grief (and no off-station deus ex machina);
    • Note though, if you get captured and properly held by a rando, then you keep it canon. Seriously. Because your defeat was underwhelming isn't an excuse to not canonize it. The only excuse is grief.

[*]large scale antag operations require your character to be a traitor ingame (contact an admin to set yourself up, seriously, do it);

[*]small scale antag operations, such as communications, recruitment, etcetera, can be conducted without a traitor status (however, the character is still susceptible to punishment, which, as per the first rule, is to be kept canon and recorded).

The first rule is a showcase of a difference in mindset, perhaps something I miss? Basically, all of the antag-shenanigans-goodness happened on our station and it was kept as a part of the station's canon. I imagine it worked because of two reasons. First, the targets were people, and not the station. So there wasn't a need to explain how the station was rebuilt after everyone died in holy hellfire. The second was the fact that everyone was kind of on the same par, as far as the "snowflake meter" went. It was completely fine to be captured by a terrorist, tortured and then spat out as the ERT rolled in and saved you (obviously, as per the first rule, you did have to RP out the wounds, both mental and physical).

There were a few mechanics used by antagonists to get onto the station, and to move around more freely:

• undercover identities, acquired off-screen;
  • spawning of the character on the nuke-ops base, and usage of the resources there (again, contact an admin to set yourself up. We were helped greatly by the fact that myself and Chris, Head Dev and Head Admin, were both involved with the storyline, so we were rather warm to the idea. You may need to conduct a bit of planning and communicating with the current admins to help this).

I was one of the folks who used an undercover identities to play an antagonist character on station with relative frequency, but I kept myself to a few guidelines, as to stop a deus ex machina approach. Namely, all of them had fleshed out records which, upon better inspection, would lead one to suspect my character. Further, I limited the amount of flexibility my character had when it came to his appearance and behaviour. Obviously, an act is required, but the underlying persona was still there and detectable. Things could also get very hilarious whenever the identity did not match his training, and he was forced to figure shit out on the fly. Also, bonus points if you can destroy the blackbox recorder (securityfeeds).

That's basically how it worked. Emphasis on the three rules to the gentlemen's game that I outlined.

• 2 months later...