[Denied]Diona Lore

Type : Species back story.

Region of Space: Epsilon Ursae Minoris

Controlled by (if not a faction):

Other Snapshot information: The Diona lore is very crap and is stolen from bay. I'm not sure if anyone is working on anything, but I have periodically been working on one for a couple months now. Throwing in a paragraph here and there. It wouldn't change any of how the Diona are played now, just the back stories of the Diona. Also if you guys decide to use it, being the diona lore master would be cool.

Long Description: http://pastebin.com/uHT92cvN

Basically, the docile, curious Diona we have decend from blood thirsty, murderous giants. Granted the majority of them have been killed, there are still a few left on the home planet. (Could be an idea or a future event?) The Diona spore when placed in blood, bore huge Diona, standing taller than buildings. After a whole buncha stuff (in the pastebin) the skrell found that using their gel allowed the Diona spore to grow in water and deliver to us the wonderful Diona we have today.

I also am open to suggestions to changing certain things to make it work.

I'm pretty indifferent but I do note that this'd probably change the Skrell's Opinion (at least for the lore, we all know that racism is hard to pull off here) of the Dionae from casual fanaticism to wariness in the least, it'd probably effect the other races's opinions too, did they ever affect anyone else while they were slaughtering billions?

It's a new enemy in World of Warcraft, added in the most recent expansion, called the Botani, who control a good section of a planet, and attack animals and people to turn their bodies into mulch, sending raiding parties to different continents to seize captives to feed their trees.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

This fundamentally changes the concept and playstyle of dionae. It renders them a completely different species for all purposes; no longer would they be big space hippies.

They also aren't just walking trees; they're a bunch of nymphs and organic material joined together into a single consciousness. People seem to forget that, because calling them trees is funnier.

I'm unsure on the dionae and skrell having such a large scale war with one another, even in the context of this proposal. The dionae participate in the Jargon government, and one of the recurring little jokes in the lore is how ridiculously slow this makes the Skrellian government sometimes. 5 hour opening statements from dionae representatives, anyone?

I also liked the old bay lore of being a large dyson-plant. It's a concept I haven't really seen elsewhere in scifi; a giant mass of sentient dyson-spheres. In a less whimsical setting, it'd be an eldritch abomination. But since the dyson-sphere tree gives away little hippy nymphs to grow into hippy, tiny hive-minds, it was uniquely SS13.

Being a race of pacified, formerly hyper-aggressive variations on the Zerg or Tyranids, to repeat the point, takes away the entire aesthetic of the species. I just can't wrap my head around the species being so violent. I've already had a whitelist revoked on a player that played an aggressive and violent tree.

What changes do you think this brings the playstyle of the race, and what does this provide for players that want to play as a diona? Do you think the changes are worthwhile, for the scope of the change?

Why not create a 'new' tree like race with these characteristics which, though known, has only been given free reign after the skrells success in 'civilising' them?

Stronger, angrier yet just as slow as the Fiona. There may even be tension between the two due to common confusion of their species by other species.

This fundamentally changes the concept and playstyle of dionae. It renders them a completely different species for all purposes; no longer would they be big space hippies.

They also aren't just walking trees; they're a bunch of nymphs and organic material joined together into a single consciousness. People seem to forget that, because calling them trees is funnier.

I'm unsure on the dionae and skrell having such a large scale war with one another, even in the context of this proposal. The dionae participate in the Jargon government, and one of the recurring little jokes in the lore is how ridiculously slow this makes the Skrellian government sometimes. 5 hour opening statements from dionae representatives, anyone?

I also liked the old bay lore of being a large dyson-plant. It's a concept I haven't really seen elsewhere in scifi; a giant mass of sentient dyson-spheres. In a less whimsical setting, it'd be an eldritch abomination. But since the dyson-sphere tree gives away little hippy nymphs to grow into hippy, tiny hive-minds, it was uniquely SS13.

Being a race of pacified, formerly hyper-aggressive variations on the Zerg or Tyranids, to repeat the point, takes away the entire aesthetic of the species. I just can't wrap my head around the species being so violent. I've already had a whitelist revoked on a player that played an aggressive and violent tree.

What changes do you think this brings the playstyle of the race, and what does this provide for players that want to play as a diona? Do you think the changes are worthwhile, for the scope of the change?

I really don't see how it changes the play style, it only changes the back story. I think other than the fact that people might change how other species RP with a Diona, maybe a little hint of fear, but not sure why it would change Diona being a hippie.

I also have seen people RP'ing the diona as encased in bark. I wouldn't mind changing it, but people have been generally confused about it, so I was just opening up options for these people. The skrell having a war with basically a devolved version of the Diona they created on their own, I don't see how they couldn't apoint the improved peaceful version as a point in their government, especially after so many years since the war had ended. (I'm fairly certain my math was good on that, if not it can be changed.)

If you are meaning the gestalts, those would still be incorporated. Once the Diona have learned all they want to, seen all they want to, expirienced all they feel as they can, they take off and join their other evolved kind.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but the original lore seemed a bit vague to me and poorly written. Granted, I'm no wizard with words myself, but I had thought it was an improvement. I also hope by revising the lore, would hopefully bring more people to what I think is a great specie.

Wasn't there a skrell religion that worshipped the Diona as gods? I liked that. I'm with Jackboot on this one, I think the Diona lore from bay is pretty great, and this would involve throwing all of that away.

I've been playing Diona for a while, and have watched other people playing them, and 0 skrell have ever worshiped the Diona as gods. I also think that certain skrell wouldn't have a problem worshipping giant man eating tree's considering there are humans that worship spaghetti in the sky, and believe in scientology. Some extremists of the religion would despise the newer, smaller Diona, as being a bastardized version of the Diona gods they worship.

Honestly, I don't mind changing anything. I really enjoy writing as well as Dioneae. If you guys honestly enjoy the old lore, that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...