Jackboot

Character names:

Greg Ryan

Constantine Augustus

Muhammad Hamil

Mishka Tepes

Louis Deastoutex

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:

About ~7 months, I believe? I'm terrible with dates.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:

I've felt that my ability to play a Head as improved. I've experimented with several different methods of leadership and general Head behaviour, and feel that I can administer a department better and provide better RP.

Why did you come to Aurora?:

It's a super fun RP server. I immigrated her after Exogenesis puttered out, and have been enjoying it ever since.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:

Sure have!

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplaying is channeling a character that is not your own, and living through that character. It's like writing a novel, but it's in real time and there are 50 other writers and all of them are telling their own version of the story. Through the characters we create, we weave our own stories that can be enjoyable for everyone involved.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

They have to administer the department and ensure everything is running smoothly, and efficiently. Their primary task is delegation, with their secondary tasks being filling in for empty roles within their department and coordinate with other Heads of Staff.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Heads have to be an image of helpfulness and impartiality. Communication is important within your department, and you have to make sure that communication is a constant, both IC and OOC. Making sure everyone is having an enjoyable round. (Unless someone is being incompetent, in which case giving everyone else an enjoyable round in spite of the troublemaker). To uphold them, I'd be sure to carry out the duties I just described - making sure that I'm communicating, and keeping everyone understanding of their roles, and what they should be doing. I've experimented a lot with Heads while on probation on other servers.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Greg Ryan

Character age: 38

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Greg Ryan was born on [planet changed due to faction lore rewrite; one currently isn't available], which is owned by the [faction]. His mother died shortly after he was born giving birth to his brother, and they were both raised by their father on [pending planet]. He received decent grades, but wasn't very popular in his school. He had minor family issues at home, with a dislike of his brother in a mild Cersei Syndrome.

Once he graduated with a bachelors in chemistry at 22, he applied to and was accepted into a prestigious medical university. His father died while he was enrolled, and because of this he threw himself into his studies as a form of grieving, shutting himself away. By the time he graduated he was one of the top students in the college, passing the exams with flying colours. After medical school, he was a medical resident for three years, working in hospitals under the supervision of other doctors. This gave him insight into how the medical field functions, and his experiences as a resident and volunteer for the Stellar Aid Corps lead him to swear an oath of pacifism. Additionally, the doctors he worked under had the habit of being extremely strict regarding paperwork, which over time formed Greg's own obsession with it.

After his Residency was completed, he completed the final set of exams to get his license and officially became Greg Ryan, M.D, with specialization in Cardiac surgeries. Shortly after he was offered employment by Nanotrasen, and worked as a surgeon for them for an additional 4 years before he was put in to be a Chief Medical Officer.

What do you like about this character?:

Dr. Ryan is my favourite character to play. He's got a mix of positives and negatives that both mix together to form an interesting person. He's very dedicated to his job, and demands impartiality in both his professional life and the professional lives of other doctors - basically, taking their oaths extremely seriously. He's passionate about keeping medbay functioning efficiently so the patients can get in and out quickly and safely. He's proactive in making sure his staff are all working properly, and that any problems that threaten the cohesion of medbay are dealt with in a timely and fair manner. His drawbacks would have to be his stubbornness: he's very reluctant to break standard protocol, or allow things to 'slip by' without some sort of paper trail behind it. It can be a source of conflict for crew who are used to a more laid-back way of doing thing. His demand for professionalism can also be a source of conflict, as he is extremely quick to confront doctors who are hampering medbay in such a way that he perceives it as dangerous to the patients.

Nowadays he is less likely to do surgeries as CMO - like stated previously, I've learned how to be a better Head through observations of others and experimenting with different styles on other servers. The primary task in delegation, and Dr. Ryan was a born administrator.

What do you dislike about this character?:

Really, I don't have anything that I OOC'ly dislike as a character. Flaws are necessary in a character, and can be a source of enjoyment - for myself in portraying them or with others in having their own personality conflict with it. He's a stickler for paperwork, a hard-arse, and a bit self-congratulatory, but he's not got anything seriously wrong him with,

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff? (Please note that Head characters must be over 30, unless given special clearance):

Absolutely!

Why?:

He has a history of being CMO, and generally I've seen support for him. He's professional, dedicated to helping people, and does his best to ensure medbay is functioning smoothly both for the convenience of the medbay staff and the comfort and safety of the patients. Medbay is one of the most important parts of the station for ensuring people have a good round - you either get in and out quickly, or end up stuck in medbay begging for treatment because everyone is running around doing their own thing with no cohesion.

Please provide well articulated and well-argued answers to the following questions. argumented isn't a word.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

Pretty good; I've gotten better. I've got a plethora of different personalities to portray, am a writer IRL, and work on the Aurora lore team (which has hammered out more of any residual snowflakyness - Rusty is a harsh mistress.) Of course there is room for improvement, as we always improve ourselves through learning and new experiences. But I'm confident that I'm well enough to allow myself into a Head role once again.

Extra notes:

For full disclosure: This is an application after an initial white-list strip. from my talk with Frances, the majority of my notes were for behaviour as CE, HoS, and Captain. I'm not going to be playing CE or Captain, and will be very careful in the future as HoS. If you have issues with me as CE or Cap, rest assured any possible issues with those in the future will not even exist.

Not helped by the fact Aurora was the first time I really played CE and I just went nuts fiddling with everything to see what happened, what could be useful, and what should probably be left alone.Like those shield generators.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix

+1 Greg Ryan is a very dedicated medical professional, with a mind for records and administration. With a good level of preparedness. And generally bossy when the med team needs direction. However as I will continue my role of critic and devils advocate, he can lapse into over preparedness such as wanting the syringe gun stored loaded, or overly dedicated. Running into a hoard of heavily armed pirates that have already killed several people to save one dumb-ass they were dragging around in crit, to whit he somehow managed not get get cut down or become a hostage. It is important to remember medical professionals have a safety for themselves first standard, going into an area that would just wind them up as another critical in need of rescue or kidnapped is not the smartest move, and they should be smart people. But all in all Greg is a good character and leader, and probably needs chaining to a desk to mellow him out a little/turn him into a raging but functional alcoholic.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

First off: Thanks for the +1! Lemme address your concerns with him, even though you're already supportive.

Dr. Ryan has a sense of self-preservation. If the pirates had opened fire at him, he would have fled and avoided them like the plague while triaging crew. He was stationed at the primary tool storage and was treating security officers falling back with heavy damage (about five of them in total) without assistance because the emergency medics were cowering in medbay. (Which is fine; while it's a smiiiidge odd for a first responder to cave under pressure we don't have enough cowards so I'm not going to complain about it.)

As the matter stood, after he had slapped biogel on the wounded sec while they were falling back and put other people in bodybags/sending them to Phoebe for surgery, he approached the pirates with his hands up and requested several times to treat the wounded hostages. He then offered to treat the pirates as well. They were initially skittish, but eventually the pirates trusted Greg enough to let him tag along and keep the hostages healthy after their beatings. (Which 90% of the time were prompted by security being extremely silly in their responses.)

It's hard to tell how small, independent groups will react. If they're shooting absolutely everyone and taking no hostages, he's going to remain in medbay/the triage area and fall back if they get near. If they're not shooting you unless you get close, and they've got wounded hostages, he's going to make an attempt to approach them and offer medical aid. He takes his oath to be an impartial healer extremely seriously.

OF COURSE if he's CMO this will not happen, because a Head absolutely cannot approach dangerous hostiles - they're too important.

Personally I have not seen much of Jackboot, especially due to my inactivity during the weekdays, however from what i formerly saw he was never a BAD head, at least in my own standards,Vittorio hates all of his heads guts, then again the pot and the kettle. Over all Jackboot is a competent roleplayer and reaching German efficiency levels in Medical and thus so +1

Though Constantine is a dirty Xenophile and Greg is a suit hater, Muhammed is the finest ForTech I have seen.

Like Vittorio said, Jackboot is an exceptionally competent roleplayer. At times I'm shocked by how well he manages to delegate tasks between all of the medical personnel so that people aren't just standing around, bored. I've witnessed this every other day from his time in Exogenesis where he had a successful whitelist application, and never seemed to disappoint the usual medical staff there. Jackboot can take all my +1s, but I'm rather poor right now, so he can only have a single +1.

Greg Ryan gave my character surgery for a broken rib three times and still couldn't fix it. Also, after the first time, he left me in the recovery room still hooked up to anesthetic. He performed over ten surgeries in a short space of time, that round. And attempts to ghetto surgery on tables if/when medbay is bombed. Also, basing off what I've heard, he seems like a very neutral doctor in terms of who he chooses to heal; by that I mean he will do his damnedest to treat anyone and everyone who ends up on his table, and I like that quality in a potential CMO.

Good roleplayer, solid in the doctor role. I endorse.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
Greg Ryan gave my character surgery for a broken rib three times and still couldn't fix it. Also, after the first time, he left me in the recovery room still hooked up to anesthetic. He performed over ten surgeries in a short space of time, that round. And attempts to ghetto surgery on tables if/when medbay is bombed. Also, basing off what I've heard, he seems like a very neutral doctor in terms of who he chooses to heal; by that I mean he will do his damnedest to treat anyone and everyone who ends up on his table, and I like that quality in a potential CMO.

Good roleplayer, solid in the doctor role. I endorse.

I still feel bad about that. :( Super fried from all those surgeries, even alternating them all with nursie.