Fortport's Head-Whitelist Application.

BYOND key: Fortport

Character names: Clayton Hall, Morgan Pycroft

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Around a week, I think.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Accessing all the lined-out jobs and roleplaying them, with the necessary characters.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I came to Aurora because of a friend's recommendation. I was fed up with Hypatia's staff, but loved the roleplay.. hated the lack of antagonists. Aurora was just what I wanted.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Long time ago, yeah. I know how they work, what they're allowed to do.. but re-reading them again is always beneficial.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: I think roleplay's about playing roles, and acting out how they would feel in their different world/situation. It's about making your characters believable, so that the others you do this with aren't irked out of immersion in their experience; more importantly, pulling yourself into a different universe until you fit right in and experimenting around in it with other people doing the same thing. Not sure if I'm explaining this right, but that's how I'm answering this question.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: To keep all the underlings in check, more-or-less making sure everything under their department's ICly correct, and that everything's the way it should be. A RD making sure nobody raids the toxins storage to leak plasma, ruining the game for everyone.. a CMO keeping tabs on their doctors, so that they don't mistreat patients or dead bodies, etc.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: Setting a good example, I think, is looked for in upstanding whitelisted people by the staff. I think their responsibilities are: follow all of the rules, and roleplay correctly regardless of more jobs/races/benefits.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Morgan Pycroft

Character age: 37

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs): ( I know I don't go too much into his personality, but this is a biography. If you want to know his character, you'll have to roleplay with him. )

Morgan's just a typically educated, home-grown man. But we all have our beginnings, and his is a humble one. He was born in 2419, during October, the son of two middle-class citizens. Morgan received standard education until his adulthood in 2436. Seventeen years old and graduated, the young Morgan decided his direction for life was in security.

Having prepared for the day he was legal and educated, he enrolls in an Internal Security Duties training program just a couple months later, passing and graduating from that in 2438. Ready and knowing, he quickly sends in his application to the space-station he planned on being hired into.. and he was accepted not long afterwards.

Becoming a cadet, he proved a quick and perceptive learner. Morgan was easily promoted to officer within a couple of months, and from thereon he did his duties efficiently. Years went under his belt, but eventually it was time to test his mettle for real.

In late 2444, Morgan's on duty during an on-board revolution. All the pieces were in place, and the chef was the head honcho. Confronting him proved easy enough, but the young officer was surrounded by him and his accomplice in the bar. Overpowering the two criminals, and cuffing them after they ignored his demand for surrender.. he was surprised by their calmness after the cuffs went on their wrists. He was just about to call in another officer, when a close explosion interrupted him.

A bomb had been hidden in a corner of the bar, and he was at the edge of the blast. It cost him his arm and leg, but he was able to yell out what had happened on the security channel. Morgan was able to testify after his recovery from critical status, in the medbay..his colleagues vouching for him. Commended for his efforts, Morgan was rewarded with a raise in pay. He'd cuffed two revolutionaries, both of them surviving and being taken into custody before they could writhe out of their restraints in maintenance!

The man was given mechanical limbs, free of charge, and a badge for sustaining a lethal injury on duty. He's back in action by 2445. For the next six years he continues his service, when again he must prove himself in a dire situation.

2451, syndicates are boarding the station in their space suits.. armed with energy swords and guns. They're going in for the massacre, and its just Morgan's luck that he runs into two of them separated from their squad on a tactical mission. Before the man's able to draw his stun gun and baton, they're charging him.. and in an adrenaline-pumped, lengthy struggle, he's able to dispatch them both single-handedly. They're stunned, cuffed, and then the syndicate's presence is announced.

Because of Morgan, security's able to bump up their defense, and they track down the others, those being either arrested or killed in action. But this triumph is not short of costs; in the firefight, the officer had again taken a bad injury. A laser had grazed his eyeball, rendering it blind. Instead of doubling over in agony, he somehow redoubled his efforts, and caught the syndicates by surprise.

Once again, he's commended with a promotion.. but this time, he's fully realized as the upstanding, responsible member of security that he really is, remembered by others for his willpower. Three years later, he's offered a promotion.

Present day, 2456. As a professional head of security, he's the manager and leader of the security department. He's proven himself a talented security member, though flawed by his handicaps and lack of depth perception.

What do you like about this character?: Rugged and tough, but still majorly flawed in the physical department.

What do you dislike about this character?: Is it safe to say that I don't hate anything about him that I can think of, off hand? Not to say that he's perfect in every way, just that I don't have any irks about what I created.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff? (Please note that Head characters must be over 30, unless given special clearance): I think so.

Why?: He's old enough, talented, and knows the regulations like the back of his hand. Proven by his backstory. He's done his job as he's expected to all those years, and has managed to remain steadfast during situations that normal officers may have died, or failed in.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: My opinion would be biased. I've roleplayed for a few years, at least, so I can say I've done it before.

Extra notes: Nothing I can think of.

Played with him today during the Raider event. Definite +1

Did the raider event with him as well. Very competent officer. Made my job of managing the situation much easier. Was a very capable officer.

As for leadership, I'm unsure of Pycroft's potential, as I haven't really seen him take charge of a situation. I'll patiently wait until there's a situation in which he can prove this, and will do what I can ICly to ensure he gets these opportunities. My advice? Roleplay/train with cadets. Working with those as an officer is a good way to display command worthiness, and it can help the community that's trying to learn how to play security here. Until then, withholding my full support.

In late 2444, Morgan's on duty during an on-board revolution. All the pieces were in place, and the chef was the head honcho. Confronting him proved easy enough, but the young officer was surrounded by him and his accomplice in the bar. Overpowering the two criminals, and cuffing them after they ignored his demand for surrender.. he was surprised by their calmness after the cuffs went on their wrists. He was just about to call in another officer, when a close explosion interrupted him.

A bomb had been hidden in a corner of the bar, and he was at the edge of the blast. It cost him his arm and leg, but he was able to yell out what had happened on the security channel. Morgan was able to testify after his recovery from critical status, in the medbay..his colleagues vouching for him. Commended for his efforts, Morgan was rewarded with a raise in pay. He'd cuffed two revolutionaries, both of them surviving and being taken into custody before they could writhe out of their restraints in maintenance!

The man was given mechanical limbs, free of charge, and a badge for sustaining a lethal injury on duty. He's back in action by 2445. For the next six years he continues his service, when again he must prove himself in a dire situation.

2451, syndicates are boarding the station in their space suits.. armed with energy swords and guns. They're going in for the massacre, and its just Morgan's luck that he runs into two of them separated from their squad on a tactical mission. Before the man's able to draw his stun gun and baton, they're charging him.. and in an adrenaline-pumped, lengthy struggle, he's able to dispatch them both single-handedly. They're stunned, cuffed, and then the syndicate's presence is announced.

I'm just here to comment on these bits of the backstory. I'm mildly worried by this, as this basically gives him knowledge about antagonists, which you are not supposed to have.

I would also like to point you towards this.

http://aurorastation.org/wiki/index.php?title=Misconceptions

Most antag actions are not canon on this server.

Morgan doesn't recognize the suits or symbols of the syndicate, however he has seen a bomb and energy sword. Aside from that, he didn't know they were syndicates. Only that they were armed, bad, and ran into him with those things out. I guess that is knowledge though, given that if he saw the same exact thing again it would immediately throw up red flags - at least he thinks red space suits are normal!

I can edit the backstory, but ICly I wouldn't want him knowin' what kind of things make a traitor/syndicate. Would spoil it all for everyone if he could just shout "THAT GUY'S A SYNDICATE" from just seeing the jumpsuit they wear..

Regardless, I'm new here, and getting used to the whole "antagonists aren't canon" thing. I can adjust, but please bear with me.

Canon antagonist actions are fairly easy to fix - simply retcon them to not be syndicate.

As long as your character isn't a hero that's had 100+ victorious encounters with space pirates, it should all be fine.

That's good to know, thanks a lot. I'm still looking forward to his acceptance.

• 2 weeks later...