Jakers Alium Applicatorium.

BYOND Key:Jakers457

Character Names: Micheal Forte, Peter Stone, Daniel Escher, James Brook

How long have you been playing on Aurora:A good couple of months or so?

Species you are applying to play:Tajaran

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Diona exempt):A grey colour?

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Oui

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:It's pretty much the first race I played on SS13. Though some may enjoy playing the Tajaran to live out their anthromorphic dreams, I kind of enjoy the cultural tensions and the hardships presented in the every day life of the Tajaran.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Humans have a completely different experience than Tajaran, nor have the limitations forced upon them. So I'd like to be able to play a character who has to overcome much more than the average white male in his thirties. And in that sense, to see a Tajaran in a head position would be rare and it would be more focused around the lower paid roles aboard the station.

Why does this species in particular hold your interest? As stated before, mainly the hardships presented to them. But it's also the culture that seems to be more indepth than most of the races, perhaps because the lore is more about the history and culture, opposed to war like tradition or scientific endeavours.

Character Name: Miko Du'Razhu

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

This might be a little snowflakey, but eh.

Miko Du'Razhu was a slave pretty much from birth and was sold to a group of researchers via the black market. The group of researchers wanted to explore the possibilities of creating a fully augmented worker, a potentially cheaper alternative to the cyborgs but lasts longer than the standard employee.

Miko's childhood mainly consisted of being chopped and changed with various mechanical parts, followed by stress testing to see how long he could go for without collapsing. When he was in his adoloscence, he was taught various trade skills that you might find in Engineering and other operations departments. With this, they were hoping to see whether employees in Engineering could work more efficiently if they weren't limited to a somewhat organic fatigue. Obviously, due to the tendency of electric magnetic pulse near the engine bay and near the solars, they found the augmentation process to be somewhat inpractical with the potentiallity of injury or death.

Cutting their losses, the researchers sold Miko to a shadey company to gain some profit from the failed project. Miko found himself being forced to enact henious crimes and dirty jobs to earn his keep within the company, leading a checkered past and a grim trail in his footstepts. Eventually the Company he worked for was assimilated by larger Corporations and had found himself working aboard stations owned by the likes of Nanotrasen.

Due to the lack of exposure to his own people until his twenties, he seems somewhat detached from his culture compared to most Tajaran but appears to have strong beliefs in the conflict between S'Randarr and Messa. Due to his exposure to the darker paths of life, he may seem to have more leaning towards that of Messa due to him closer to death more so than anything deemed as mercy.

It's probably an awful background but I thought I'd go for something different/not so different?

What do you like about this character? I like to think of him as a person trying to correct his past but isn't exactly a saint. I would like to think he's trying to become his own person, opposed to something constructed in a grotty lab in the outer colonies.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? A solid.... eight, and a smidge.

Notes:

Sorry if it is Snowflakey. Will answer questions about the character also.

Edited by Guest
I take it you aren't going into Engineering due to the risks of death. What will this character be doing, then, since he was actually trained for little else?

Mainly lower tier jobs like working in supply, custodial or civilian work. Though I may put him into internships so.that his skills develop during his employment.

I take it since the character is going to be grey, it is a Zhan-Khazan. Since they're the workhorse, I can see him being a cargo worker or something similar.

I'm hesitant about this Tajaran understanding Sol. If we go off the premise that this character was, in fact, used illegally for physical experimentation then it's unlikely any human would take the time or effort to teach him much of anything beyond what they needed to. I also see it as more likely the "researchers" got busted and destroyed any evidence it could. But then, of course, we wouldn't have this Tajaran before us.

Sorry about how harsh I must sound and I'm not really more helpful with suggestions. I just think each character should belong to the person, not what I tell you that you should put. You know?

I take it since the character is going to be grey, it is a Zhan-Khazan. Since they're the workhorse, I can see him being a cargo worker or something similar.

I'm hesitant about this Tajaran understanding Sol. If we go off the premise that this character was, in fact, used illegally for physical experimentation then it's unlikely any human would take the time or effort to teach him much of anything beyond what they needed to. I also see it as more likely the "researchers" got busted and destroyed any evidence it could. But then, of course, we wouldn't have this Tajaran before us.

Sorry about how harsh I must sound and I'm not really more helpful with suggestions. I just think each character should belong to the person, not what I tell you that you should put. You know?

No need to apologise, the back story was written in a matter of minutes so it'd undoubtedly need refining. Which is why I'm happy to answer queries, helps me.flesh out the.concept. I was doubtful about the language myself and may trash the idea. Though I must say the universe is a big place, so I can see people getting away with illegal activity

There was an issue with a unathi character whose backstory essentially made them 'a human with a different sprite'...they didn't really represent their actual species in any meaningful way. I see the same issue here. Additionally there's problems lore-wise and game mechanic wise with having aliens speaking Sol Common, a human specific language.

I'd recommend revising the backstory so it's less snowflakey.