Reyjakai's Head Whitelist Application (AKA TOO SOON)

BYOND key:Reyjakai

Character names:Katelynn McMullen, Vebjorn Skoglund, Reyjakai Friedman.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:A few months.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:To serve glorious NanoTrasen and its interests. Also because in general, I feel that I could better help out the station and all greenies they keep sending us.

Why did you come to Aurora?:I joined a random server one day, liked the people and the staff and decided to stay. I never anticipated that I would end up spending this much time here, but I do.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:Of course. Who doesn't read all of the details of what they're supposed to do as their role. Oh wait...

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:Roleplay is all about immersing yourself in your surroundings through the interactions with other players and through your own actions. Trying to imagine what the person you have created is going to do, as well as what their expectations are from other players in various scenarios is what makes or breaks the experience for everyone.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:Trying to guide other players to accept the glory of NanoTrasen in a productive way. That, and to help other people to have a more fulfilling experience, as well as explain procedures, explain why things are done (from the wiki, etc), and to help make the server more fun to play on. Accidentally stabbing robots is only fun for so long.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:In general, I suppose you stand as a person who is expected to know how the server runs, and how to help people have issues. I wouldn't want to say that it's to keep things professional, but at the very least, all staff members should strive to help out all members of the server.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:Katelynn McMullen

Character age:31

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):Katelynn was born in the Sol system. Her father, Gregory McMullen was the head researcher on one of Earth's NanoTrasen research bases, which is where Katelynn gained a respect for science and scientific research at an early age. Throughout Katelynn's Teenage years, she excelled at all things science based, and was quickly hired to work at her father's research base at the age of 17. When Katelynn was 19, the outpost she and her father worked suffered a bad leak when a plasma experiment went wrong, causing the station to explode, severely injuring Katelynn and killing many of the employees, her father included. When the Emergency Response Team arrived to help salvage what they could, they found Katelynn barely clinging to life, with severe plasma burns all throughout her body. They managed to rescue Katelynn and several other employees. Katelynn was then transported to a medical research center where she was ultimately deemed an asset that was worth saving. After patching up her body, replacing much of her burnt skin with synthskin, she was set back to work.

A year after that, Katelynn was transferred to another NanoTrasen facility to perform scientific experiments. Katelynn excelled at testing practical applications of bluespace technology, explosive ordinance application, and the generation of Mechatronic fabrication that she was transferred to the NSS Aurora after a short period of time to further test NanoTrasen's more dangerous endeavors.

What do you like about this character?:She may seem a bit childlike at first, but she's deeply loyal to her friends and NanoTrasen. Katelynn has evolved a lot since I first imagined her, and she's more an extension of myself than anything else.

What do you dislike about this character?:That goddamn pink hair. At least I made it purple. Also, her general lack of regard for standard protocol for the earlier parts of her career. She was allowed to get away with quite a lot because she was a valuable asset to NanoTrasen, but she's got to be more responsible in the future.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff? (Please note that Head characters must be over 30, unless given special clearance):If you asked me a month ago, I would have said the answer to that is never. However, I've been getting more amd more comfortable with the idea of Katelynn being a head of staff. I've been getting better at acting based on what my character would do, and thus have been turning Katelynn into a talented and responsible character that would fit well into a command role.

Why?:I listed why in the area above, mostly. I think Katelynn is experienced and knowledgeable enough to be a good Research Director.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:I am definitely better than I was when I first came to this server. I think the admins would all agree on that, and in general, their conversations have helped me learn to roleplay better and actually decide the direction that I wanted to take Katelynn in.

Extra notes:Keep doing what you do, admins. It helps more than you think it does.

Edited by Guest

Hello! I'm here to express a concern about this specific part about your character.

When Katelynn was 19, the outpost she and her father worked at was attacked by syndicate agents. Katelynn and her father escaped the station alive, but not before code delta was ordered and the station exploded, killing all who were left inside. Katelynn survived because her father saved her from the blast of the station. When the ERT arrived, they managed to rebuild Katelynn with mostly robotic parts.

Dea, FFrances, and I agree that this specific part of Katelynn's back story seems pretty snowflake-y, but that your back story was very well up to the point that Katelynn McMullen was pretty much remade into a robot. Could I ask you to please look over this part of your backstory, and see how else that could've ended? Along with this, I hope Katelynn didn't have direct contact with one of the syndicate agents because if she did, then I will also have to also express the concern of having knowledge about antags. Due to the fact that traumatic events are normally recalled in a snap, of course.

I would wish to say "No" on granting Reyjakai a whitelisted position.

He has been caught numerous times with weaponry as a scientist when there was no need for it. Even today, on an extended round, with temporary RD access, McMullen is armed with an Advanced Protopistol and a Laser Pointer. Both of with are OOCly considered, at least for me, weapons. If this is behavior that we wish to cull, then granting a person who seems indulging in this constantly a whitelist, would be counter productive towards this goal. It also leaves me a feeling that they're in it for the cool access, and the ability to bypass questioning, instead of actually taking up a a role of authority to teach and guide.

To counter that, I try not to carry weaponry on me as a scientist anymore. I have certainly been a lot better about that as of recent. I have an advanced protopistol on me at present because I was charging it in the conference room, since R&D doesn't have one. Should I have returned it to R&D? Certainly. Should I have removed the charger? Probaby. I appreciate your rebuke, however.

I couldn't care less about the 'cool' factor of being whitelisted. If you're trying to judge how I play on a rather lax day during dead hour on an extended round, perhaps that's not the best judge of character for a whitelist application. I'm not trying to say that down time extended isn't meant for a place to RP, but it's certainly a place to be less stringent than normal.