Replace Morgue with Cold Storage; Putting dead bodies to use

Erik Tiber

Hello Aurorans. Since we can now remove organs and since I have recently suggested instituting organ failure, I came up with an idea. Why not put dead bodies to use?

My idea is as follows; replace the morgue trays with pseudo-sleepers designed for holding dead bodies and preserving them at low temperature. This is where the recently deceased go. Now, given how pesky organ replacement can become, we should make use of a new untapped resource to balance it out; corpses. The cold storage preserves them at low temperatures, ensuring that the organs do not go gamey and that the brain does not degrade further. This cold storage also prevents the blood from coagulating.

Basically, it's a pseudo-sleeper that holds a large beaker and preserves bodies. The large beaker can be used to drain the blood from the corpse, allowing it to be used in blood transfusions. The organs can be removed on the morgue table and placed into organ jars, which preserve them for eventual use in transplants. If the recipient has the same bloodtype, they can get their very own slightly used organs. However, if the corpse's organs have taken too much damage, rather than spawning a normal organ object (IE liver, heart, lungs, etc), it spawns an unhealthy organ object which is useless for anything but an exotic ingredient for the chef.

These corpses can also be harvested for any artificial organs or limbs they may have. Simply perform surgery on them as normal, cut them out or cut them off and stitch them onto the recipient.

I have a better idea to build upon yours. Instead of changing the Morgue, use this for the freezer room next to Surgery. I assume organs don't die over time because at one point Phoebe tore out somebody's still beating heart from a dead patient. We can just put a different looking morgue tray, rename it, place it in the freezer room, and we can just assume IC'ly that the room/tray is made for exactly this (assuming that organs don't die over time mechanically). This will give surgeons a reason to actually use that room, and the freezers in it. If the person is an organ donor, then hack them up like that, and then put them in the morgue. If they're not, stick them in the morgue. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that the morgue trays are made (from an IC standpoint) to keep the bodies preserved.

This way, we have an unused room to actually use, and we don't have to change the morgue that already has its own use (which is an autopsy of somebody that died in a way that isn't linked to a criminal investigation [like a workplace accident] because then that's the Forensic Technician's job, and you shouldn't do their job like that).

\I assume organs don't die over time because at one point Phoebe tore out somebody's still beating heart from a dead patient. We can just put a different looking morgue tray, rename it, place it in the freezer room, and we can just assume IC'ly that the room/tray is made for exactly this (assuming that organs don't die over time mechanically). This will give surgeons a reason to actually use that room, and the freezers in it.

The patient was not dead until their heart was removed. It should also be noted that the heart did stop beating after a little bit.

I haven't experimented with it extensively, but I did hear that organs do die after a small amount of time, but being stored in the freezers stops that.

Edit: Confirmed. Organs do die after a little while.

Edited by Guest