Mod Application take two: OneOneThreeEight

Guest 1138

Basic Information

Byond Account: OneOneThreeEight

Character Name(s): Vira De Santos, Hardin Stryker, Talia Varick, Bertor, Dima Ruslanovich, etc...

AI Name(s): J.A.U.N.T., pAI Lycium, etc.

Preferred means of contact: Skype, provided on request.

Timezone: EST

When are you on Aurora?: Sometimes daily. Most active during weekends.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: More than six months.

How long have you played on Aurora: Four months.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: Quite a bit.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: I've never been banned here for anything other than a dayban for maint drone grief (I was new, and I didn't know that siphoning the bar was a no-no), but I had a whitelist strip a few months old.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: For fun. I play a pretty open range of servers, mostly Aurora, Colonial Marines and a bit of Hippie, depending on how ornery I'm feeling.

Why do you play on Aurora?: For RP. And fun. And I love the community here. I really do.

What do moderators do?: They're generally just regulators over the basic concept of the rules and ensuring everyone has a fun experience. As a result, they nurture the good in the community and weed out the bad in people. If anything, they help people more than they actually ban.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: To be helpful. Relatively the same that is expected for any kind of supervisory position, it's to be expected. Above all else, you're there to help people become better than they are.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: As of recently, I've been feeling as though my general helpfulness has been waning, if I ever was helpful, for that matter. I want to help. I want the satisfaction of being someone to be there for someone when something goes horridly wrong.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I'm patient. I enjoy talking to people, whether the conversation is going well or not. I'm kind to most people, I generally make it a point to treat everyone well until they disappoint me. I imagine all of you have seen me just utter, "Fuck it, I'm going to bed," whenever things get too nuts for me, but otherwise I work well under pressure, if not downright enjoy it.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Most of you have seen me around long enough, know that it takes a lot before I get ticked. Even if I do, I still try to remain polite while also articulating expletives. Not really, though, I definitely try to respect the human in everyone.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

Personally? I'm not sure if I'm interested in the clause in the contract where it says I have to deal with people who make it a point to be difficult as they possibly can. And considering I'm more than likely to make a /really big mistake/ eventually, I'm not exactly confident that this application will get accepted. And given all of the drama lately? Sometimes a belt full of tools needs to make room for more efficient and ergonomic ones. When the going gets tough, I'm not sure if I'll be sticking around. I have my reasons for even filing this out, and I have reservations against even doing it. But it's worth a shot.

Boop.

Scrub this out. I'm not interested in the application anymore.

Edited by Guest

...Not to bump a two-day old thread out of impatience or anything, but should I be anticipating a long-winded rant addressing everything about me in the past few months I've been here, and an endorsement to not support this application?

Because you could just say "No," plainly, and I'd understand completely.

The first post for the selection process will kick in next week, whenever trials are picked. Until then, no applications are outright denied.

Now, let's see. You're unsure in your application, that much is clear. Sell yourself more, you should be applying with the mindset of, "I am here, I can do stuff, I can be useful!" Instead of, "I think I want to do this, uh, yes?" Figure out the mindest first, and we'll then proceed onto the next point.

That being your conduct. You are an individual noted for the silly thing of, "Backstea moderating". Basically, harping over people's actions in LOOC, without much constructive effort put into it. It looks as if you make a point of trying to show people that they're violating the rules, instead of simply hailing a member of staff to take care of an issue. I'm not interested in the "why," at this point. Instead, as a prospectful moderator, what are your thoughts on this sort of conduct? What effects can it have on the community, shoud it become widespread? Should it be curbed, or encouraged?

As it's been said before, rule lawyering is typically a bad idea not because the person is specifically rule lawyering, but because of how profound of an effect it can have on people witnessing the, uh, harping, perse. As a result, confusion starts sprouting up over what the rules actually are attempting to discourage or encourage, and so the wrong things are being done and none of the right things are being acknowledged.

So, I suppose to counter this from happening, if you get upset at something that's being done and you know it's wrong, but you don't know why it's wrong, then simply speak to staff about the issue.

Okay, you lost me with your last paragraph. That's something I want to talk to you about, actually. But later.

First, you didn't answer my initial criticism. Do you just think that you might make a decent moderator, or do you know that you will make a good member of staff?

The latter.

I work well with teams, I like everyone that is currently on the staff, I have no issues with them. I might need some training, but I'd definitely work for it.

Probably not the post you want to hear, nor from the player you'd like.

But since you seem to be eager for some feedback, here, observer's opinion.

You're good at talking. I think that's your strongest point, the fact that you don't mind being active, sharing your opinions, going out and having a conversation with people. It is definitely what I would capitalize on: develop your ability to talk, think about the way you interact with people and how it can serve you while bettering the community. (And you don't actually have to enforce the rules as a regular player to get promoted to a mod. Helping people is far more important than reminding them of the rules.)

However, here is my fear: the actions backing up your talk are not so good. I'm not the best placed to speak anymore due to my inactivity on the server (which is why I'm no longer an admin), but one thing I noticed, and saw other users point out is that while you're able to write damn good speeches about whatever events might currently be going on, your actions remain problematic. Staff has had to strip your whitelist for consistent powergaming & related issues, and your most recent reapplication, not too long ago, has equally been denied.

All of these events are far too fresh in my mind to make you deserving of a mod position. You speak of improved behavior, now is your chance to demonstrate it. People don't get responsibilities through promises, but through actions. If you can actually demonstrate improvement, you would have sizeable chances for the server's next mod application round, but I don't think you'll be making this one.

However, here is my fear: the actions backing up your talk are not so good.

This.

Delta is a good player relatively, his RP is gr8 and he's not terribly unpleasant to deal with. But he has an astounding amount of notes, most of which being simply going against common sense.

And as anyone on Staff can tell you, common sense is generally a great thing to have. A very important thing to have, as is willpower (As in having the self-control not to tell that griefing assistant who said something extremely unpleasant about you to go fuck himself). Honestly, if staff as a whole doesn't trust you to role-play as a head of staff without watching you constantly, I don't think we'd trust you to moderate Aurora possibly alone for hours at a time.

Your rhetoric here, and generally on all of your applications is rather great. But I'm afraid in this case, you'll need more than words.

Hello. Almost forgot about this thread, I was reminded today by someone.

Okay, hi Frances. I'm well aware of my speaking ability and cooperativeness with the community, and how important it is for me to capitalize on that strength. I honestly love the people here, old or new. There are some things I'm quite vocal about and people are aware of it.

However. So, my actions. Just about three months ago, my whitelist was stripped because I suddenly decided it would be a wonderful idea to aim my playstyle at playing to win rather than focusing on what was truly important for this server: better. That was stupid. I won't lie about it, the intent with which I was committing to those actions was not in the right place at all, and that's an understatement. Probably one for the entire year.

But. After consistent dwelling on the matter, observing others in action, specifically Bokaza's own captain gameplay, who I've come to admire for their focus and strategy, I've been taken aback and have made some mental notes and changes to my own focus. It may sound ridiculous to you all, but I feel changed. I feel stable and calm. I've made changes to my own gameplay to, ICly, think two steps ahead. OOCly, in favor of reinforcing the statute of RP, think several steps ahead of time. I've found that when doubt begins to cloud a decision, it's best to make that decision in the best interest of roleplay and the players themselves.

Maybe this sounds a little more ridiculous, but I've demonstrated improved behavior, but for the sake of all of the other candidates, I chose not to demonstrate it in a core role or position where the staff team is going to notice things. I chose to prioritize better roleplay over game-changing actions/decisions that could make or break the mold of RP. If anything, I just want a Trial period. I want to experience what it is like for the staff to be dealing with IC issues. I say that I can't improve myself if I don't have any experience to refer to. I'm tired of being known as the class hypocrite. I want to prove myself, and to prove to others that I have changed and that I have the will to do what it takes to better myself and other people for the greater good of the community, and the very definition of Heavy Roleplay as a whole.

Maybe these words are just empty to you all, but they aren't to me.

The thing is no new posts will actually bring you anything. Explanations and promises can actually go in your favor when you're not known (and people are willing to take a chance), but once you become a regular member of a community, people will judge you through your actions first and foremost, no matter who you are.

There's really no need to write anything else. You've changed? Just show it. People will take notice, easy as that.

Hi.

I've changed my mind.

You're right. And there's nothing I can do to even fix or repair any of the damage I've already wrought.

There's absolutely nothing good I can do to scrub away the bad. This is just... utterly fucking stupid and I don't even know why I try anymore.

That seems rather contradictory to the rest of what you've been posting.

I don't know what you see as the truth. However, I might suggest that you should not try to make up for actions with words, but rather look at the actions themselves, and what you can do about them. Otherwise, your words end up being a mere crutch which holds you back from your full potential. Don't rely on them as strongly, so you can focus on improving what's important.