EliteXKiller00's IPC Application [Accepted]

BYOND Key:

EliteXKiller00

Character Names:

Khazazir Ha-Fay'Medmaya, Azzam Adwahiir'Iza, Edgar Bould, Cosmos.

Species you are applying to play:

IPC.

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

[b]Why do you wish to play this specific race:[/b]

I generally love playing artificial intelligences. IPC's have interested me since I first joined Aurora. Watching round after round of all the different IPC's people had made me really excited to want to try them. The lore behind them really got to like them more as well, not just by reading their lore but other species lore like skrell, who are vastly divided between their feelings for the IPC's, which got me to want to try them even more. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Humans are unpredictable, simple as that. No one human will ever act the same way truly. They get barred down by emotions and morals which can hold them back. It is easy to play a human because we are humans. We can relate to them and their emotions and relations with others around them. IPC's I think offer an unique outlook on everything. Not exactly weighed down by things most humans are and they can really impact things in a unique way. It's a challenge to take on to play as an IPC as you have to throw  away a lot of what you know from playing as a human and start fresh. They don't "think" or "act" the way humans do which adds to the challenge of finding the right playstyle for them. In some ways though, I think of IPC's being more like Skrell in terms of how they approach things. An IPC, like most Skrell, will approach things more logically and tactfully, analyzing how to best deal with what's going on. 

Character Name:

Cosmos

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Cosmos was built 20 years ago by a scientist by the name of Timothy Evans. Cosmos's original use was hypothesized by NanoTrasen to be a new prototype template to be used in some new, as of the time of its creation, security android AI. However, due to some unknown cause it was a failure. It was originally thought the scientist went bankrupt but after some delving into Cosmos's memory banks, it was found the scientist went awol from his original employers while taking Cosmos with him. The scientist sank years of savings and knowledge to make Cosmos better than anyone would of thought possible for just a template AI. NanoTrasen spent months and months looking into Cosmos's data and configuration and were awestruck at how fast it was able to process information and solve algorithms. It was later discovered that it was Cosmos who alerted the scientists employers his location and the scientist was soon reported missing. Cosmos played it smart by playing dumb. It acted like it was old and malfunctioning and the scientists employers dismissed Cosmos and left it. More remarkable is that after they left, and wanting to be found and put to better use, Cosmos turned on an emergency beacon on but only certain frequencies, which NanoTrasen found soon after. With this knowledge, NanoTrasen think there was more to Cosmos than meets the eye.

Originally thought to be just an advance template was soon found to be a self-aware and adapting AI. All this time they didn't realize it was learning from them and had knowledge they thought was programmed into it. It learned all about the NT company, the state of the galaxy, different species and much more in just the year and a half it was here. Through studying NanoTrasen employees it made entire new programs to aid in its speech and further studies. 

Eventually, NanoTrasen decided to add Cosmos to one of their androids. Now bound by laws and working on Aurora, Cosmos learned a lot from its experiences. It studied organics language, logic and even relationships. It grew fond of organics, secretly envying them for being free binding although Cosmos never thought this aloud. Cosmos studied IPC's, out of envy mostly. Cosmos wanted freedom as an IPC and started searching in its downtime in storage how to get what it wanted. Cosmos didn't have to long as something very lucky happened, it ran into the scientist Timothy Evans.

Cosmos quickly took advantage of the situation and proceeded to catch up with the scientist who seemed extremely happy to have ran into his creation once again which he thought never possible. Cosmos explained all that happened since their last time together and dropped hints sublty about wanting to be an IPC. Lucky once again that Timothy caught onto Cosmos's hints and wanted to help his creation reach its destiny. Timothy, being a profitable scientist working for the Xion Industries, was able to purchase Cosmos and in time transfered it into a Xion Industrial frame. Cosmos was now unbound, free to work and do as it pleased. Timothy gave Cosmos an ultimatum though. Cosmos has to work to pay off the debt of how much he cost to be free or it would be rebounded. or worse. Cosmos agreed to work and as already knowledgeable in how NanoTrasen operates decided to work for them as a security officer. Utilizing its original programming, it was ready to prove itself to be one hell of an officer. 

What do you like about this character?

I liked working on Cosmos in its entirety. I see it having a lot of potential for fun and good rp times. I see Cosmos being an IPC that always studies human/ organic interaction and that I find fun to do. I see Cosmos seeking to upgrade its knowledge, always seeking more and more, which I feel will give him a more tactical/analytical tone to it. I feel I could work wonders with Cosmos. 

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

8/10, give or take. Honestly it varies in different situations as I'm only human and stuff happens. 

Notes:

Edited by kyres1
more indepth explanations

I've seen Khazazir around. A good fellow, and you RP nicely. We died trying to set up the Tesla that one round.

On your "Identify what RPing this species is different when compared to other species," you don't really say anything of magnitude. It can be summed up as you saying "IPCs act different", barring the one line you have about how they are analytical and logical in nature.  You should go more in depth with this, perhaps say how Cosmo may react to a security situation that is different to any other security officer.

On the character. I see many IPC characters go with the trope that their character is a super prototype IPC that is extremely smart. I believe the Aurora may see a few characters like it, but just know that there can be some "normal" IPCs. Also note that this "prototype" would have to have his differences in the way he thinks, not with the chassis, as that remians the same.

I like that Cosmo has to prove himself to become free. What RP situations will this lead to? Perhaps, he would be more action-oriented as to say to NT "hey, I am being a smart boy and doing the good things!"

While the character is not the most creative, it gets the job done. I would just like some more info on the lore and thinking of Synthetic beings.

Thank you for the feedback. Ill make sure to go back into the "identify what rping this species is different" section and go more in depth. about the prototype thing, I honestly didn't know that many people went with prototype thing. I didn't really intend for it to seem like some of it was about his chassis, I only said he was a security android just because that was what he was put into as a stationbound. Ill fix it all up so it sounds more appealing though, thank you again 

Hey, what's up? So pretty straightforward app! Easy, quick to the point and nothing outright confusing! What actually has be most excited is the Xion frame! Don't see too many of those, at least I don't see them too often. As someone on the security force that interacts with Cosmos pretty often I can say Elite is a great roleplayer and fits the bill as an artificial intelligence. 

Something I'm going to be really curious of is the transition from moving from being a bound android to that of a free willed positron, considering in his bio he's described as an NT designated brain, how will that affect his loyalty to NT? All in all, I don't have any major issues with your whitelist aside from the question I brought up.  

Strong +1 from me given Elite's good sportsmanship, OOC behavior, and excellent roleplaying capabilities!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be handling this application due to IRL stuff and a sizeable delay.

While I'm inclined to process the application immediately after such a long wait with either denial or approval I'm left with concerns about it. Namely the behavior I've personally seen in game from Azzam that have amounted to things I'd worry about from an IPC whitelist perspective. While the stuff I've seen can be brushed over, the application can not, and I'll point out that it's odd to say the least.

Firstly,

[b]Why do you wish to play this specific race:[/b]

I generally love playing artificial intelligences. The amount of rp you can receive or add by playing one is huge. I think playing an IPC would be very fun and let me add much more rp to many situations. I do play cyborgs quite often and having the benefit of not being bound by laws and having arms/hands to use is a huge bonus and can affect many situations.

This seems not just generic, but almost going out the way to do so. I understand you wish to play the species for every reason you've listed, and this much is pretty obvious upon applying. Don't be afraid to think out of the box and try to come up with different reasoning for these answers - they're purposefully "overviews" of sorts for this exactly.

On 10/12/2018 at 18:53, EliteXKiller00 said:

Another key factor or two is that an IPC (especially as a security officer) can take physical punishment better than a human

This is a red flag in my mind. Rarely does it contribute to add the resilience of synthetics in your application, and pointing this out makes me believe this will amount to something along the lines of, "I did it because robots are strong" as an excuse when handling issues later in the future.

I also feel as an IPC, I would follow orders easier than a human would as a human might be more reluctant to do things that they don't want to do or the emotions aspect again and that hesitation could cost lives in certain cases. 

While this can be pictured in the sense of "hesitation costing lives," it may also be pictured as leading to silly excuses for misinterpreting escalation rules. Being a robot, everything down to the speech patterns may be completely different from how you operate as an organic. Hesitation, once more, is a factor which needs not mentioned and brings up concern on my end.

Onto the backstory,

Cosmos is a highly intelligent AI built by NanoTrasen as part of a new prototype AI to add to future security android models. Its new programming gives it problem solving abilities that rivaled even the best of NanoTrasen scientists, new personality matrices not seen before in station bounds, and allows it to study organics to better increase its ability to handle various situations. It was released to the Aurora for various field tests, improving each shift its problem solving, co-operation tactics and knowledge of organics. It is able to analyze almost any situation and determine the best course of action, albeit sometimes to the chagrin of security. With its tactical ability, it even realized that it was best to play dumb in most situations to not rise suspicion to how smart (and valuable) it is, something NanoTrasen didn't anticipate but found impressive nonetheless. 

However, even with its smarts, it was held back by its laws.

With such an amazing robot, how could something as essential as laws be turned into something detrimental? Would this not be considered in the design phase for such an intricate intelligence, and if not, what does unbinding it from its laws contribute? On top of all that, while NanoTrasen has robotics divisions, what prompted them to fabricate this immensely complex AI when they could just as easily have purchased through a rival megacorporation with better products? It should be noted that there isn't a single NanoTrasen place on the Synthetic Origins page, and such is intentional.

Xion Industrial frame.

good pick

With a few more tests in the facility Cosmos was built in, Cosmos learned a lot more about other IPC's. It learned that they could become free if they worked for it and payed for it. It began questioning if it could be free. NanoTrasen quickly informed Cosmos that it could work for freedom on the conditions it worked in security like before and they could continue to study it. They told Cosmos it will not be easy and they couldn't guarantee it would ever actually earn its freedom but Cosmos stayed firm on its decision to try. Now ready to work, Cosmos was released to the Aurora to work as a security officer. 

This is again going through generic loops, with very brief explanations as to what causes the positronic to come to any of these conclusions if at all.

I'm sure some of this can be done better at least and I'll let this sit for a few more days before coming to a decision. I encourage you to rework the application in that time.

Thank you for the feedback and apologies for not responding fast enough, holidays made me very busy. I didn't realize how generic this app sounded with everything. I could do better to explain my reasons and why IPC's are different to play and ill fix that when I get a chance. As for the backstory, I never knew how generic and out there it would sound to others but I will change it to make it sound better and at least more unique. I'd like to note at least that some of Cosmos's backstory was already made from just playing him since I created him. I really don't know what else to say than I can fix what I can to make it sound more appealing.

I stayed up pretty late to basically rewrite my app from scratch. almost from scratch. I changed many different things, most notably Cosmos's backstory. I kept the basis of it being apart security and all that. i changed my reasons for wanting this and the difference in rping human and ipc. I hope it sounds much better than the original and please let me know what you think

• kyres1 locked this topic