MALWARE - Information Technology Capabilities & Job

This idea dating back to early 2016 was a high in demand, I'm very sure new players would love this idea.

Since, Arrow is no longer able to work on it. I plan on starting this project over from scratch so that way, I am able to understand Baycode more better and have experience in the development process. This means, I'm going to try to do my best to create my two year old suggestion into a reality. If you have any ideas or wish to work on it with me. Feel free to contact me here. I will not be able bring forth my full attention to this project. To ensure that I am able to my job efficiently and keep eyes on this. I have forked from AuroraStation/Aurora.3. The complexity of it would be extremely high due to my first time ever coding for a Space Station 13 server, I've never coded for any servers. Currently at the moment, I'm taking a quick refresher to get my mind off holiday festive laziness. Again, I will be working on and off due to college.

URL: https://github.com/UnknownMurders/Aurora.3/projects/1?add_cards_query=is%3Aopen

I decided to start with visualization to demonstrate how I envision this project to be. I dug back to my old works that was left unfinished and finished it. The original idea that Arrow and I had thought together was better to have IT Juniors and IT Seniors in a different job titles. "IT Administration", "IT Tech Support", "IT Junior", "IT Senior" and so on. It would resemble the same chain of command that Quartermaster has with their own department. CT and Shaft Miners listens to QM while QM listens to Head of Personnel. In this scenario, I was hoping for... IT Junior listens to IT Senior while IT Senior listens to Research Director. 

IT Clothing

ce67343df7dc32f6c53108254a467670.png

442f3a931aa73f9bb3ba13e0f6921def.png

2943dffe86d01637ff62e8e80d8e9d4b.png

IT Server/Switching/Router I haven't decided how I want them to look like. It's barebones as it is. Additionally, server wiring is a mess. I intend on having three colors: red, blue, and yellow. These colors are better to start with because they are primary colors of the color wheel. Although, I often see yellow and blue being used server/routing but not often red. 

fa390266c3342a9577d487b60592f0d0.png

Image result for server wiring color code

I intend on trying to follow this color sheet and use Green to connect from one machine to another machine. 

Thoughts?

Creating an entire department just to do IT stuff is extreme overkill unless you rework computers and how they currently work entirely to be way more relevant to the round. I'm also afraid you're going to run into the same issue as virology, where nobody plays the role because it's only interesting when you're an antag. 

Suggestions to rework said computers/making the role actually worth playing as a non-antag:

- Make all consoles wired to the network. The reason for this being that wired connections are generally much safer than wireless connections. This would also mean that any explosions/damage to station structure would disconnect associated computers from the network. Add several redundant connections to highly important devices. Make the wires resistant to standard wirecutters, requiring a special tool from IT to cut. This would give IT something to do in the case of repair/maintenance. Maybe add a network controller similar to APCs?

- Add various random events (malfunctioning consoles, bad wires, network breaches, I dunno maybe have them prevent DDoS attempts from a bunch of furries or something)

- Remove R&D, Messaging Server from R&D/AI Upload, move them to IT Department. Put limits on how much memory servers can hold, make them upgradable. I.e., building additional servers, adding memory banks, etc.

19 hours ago, Bsmiffy78 said:

Suggestion, should have some sort of antagging ways to fuck with crew. Like maybe malf AI can route buttons on consoles to do different things, like ya know, blow up or something.

I somewhat plan on this. 

11 hours ago, VTCobaltblood said:

Creating an entire department just to do IT stuff is extreme overkill unless you rework computers and how they currently work entirely to be way more relevant to the round. I'm also afraid you're going to run into the same issue as virology, where nobody plays the role because it's only interesting when you're an antag. 

How dare you compare this to Virology! There's nothing with seeing how far you can get. I intend on having some machines "breaking down" over time. This is just my idea at the moment: I could have a security processing machine somehow breaking down and security needing to call up an I.T. Or even a vending machine breaking down and a clueless person has no idea whether it's internal problem or external problem. Unlike Virology, I plan on expanding IT. Damn it, admins! We're in space age but this doesn't mean that our information technology security is robust! Anywhere, someone can pull off DROP DATABASE

1 hour ago, Bsmiffy78 said:

- Make all consoles wired to the network. The reason for this being that wired connections are generally much safer than wireless connections. This would also mean that any explosions/damage to station structure would disconnect associated computers from the network. Add several redundant connections to highly important devices. Make the wires resistant to standard wirecutters, requiring a special tool from IT to cut. This would give IT something to do in the case of repair/maintenance. Maybe add a network controller similar to APCs?

This was originally our goals. It's my goal now. You are correct in wired connections that are safer than wireless connections but do be wary that someone can plug into the wired system anywhere on this technological station. I haven't thought far for the wire resistant to standard wirecutters. For now, I need to focus on ensuring that a server works with a computer somehow and sprite machines so that I have a picture of what I want them to look like before I go into code. 

- Add various random events (malfunctioning consoles, bad wires, network breaches, I dunno maybe have them prevent DDoS attempts from a bunch of furries or something)

Somewhat I have in mind except furries. We, otakus will never acknowledge them.

- Remove R&D, Messaging Server from R&D/AI Upload, move them to IT Department. Put limits on how much memory servers can hold, make them upgradable. I.e., building additional servers, adding memory banks, etc.

The first piece of what you said sounds a bad idea to immediately start with but I do like the idea of limits to how much memory server can hold and upgradable. 

15 hours ago, UnknownMurder said:

How dare you compare this to Virology! There's nothing with seeing how far you can get. I intend on having some machines "breaking down" over time. This is just my idea at the moment: I could have a security processing machine somehow breaking down and security needing to call up an I.T. Or even a vending machine breaking down and a clueless person has no idea whether it's internal problem or external problem. 

Then you're making a role tedious instead of actually interesting, and perhaps even worse than virology in its current state because you're also screwing people over when an IT tech is not around. I don't think people play Engineering just because they like to fix vendors or explosion aftermaths. 

• 5 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic