[Declined] Conspiir's Skrell Deputy App

Ckey/BYOND Username: Conspiir

Position Being Applied For: Skrell Lore Deputy

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I play a lot of Skrell. I’ve made some idea contributions (I throw out ideas a lot), some minor github things. I’ve edited the wiki slightly before, but not to any great extent.

Examples of Past Work: Most of my writing ability is in telling stories. There are some stories on this forum I’ve written. Admittedly, it’s what I enjoy most, which is why anything I write will likely come across in story/article form. My essay is an example of that.

Additional Comments: My ultimate goal is wanting to flesh out the unfinished calendar page. I want it to be something engaging, something with a story and lore (hah) attached to it. Something players can say “Yes, this is our history” and not have it be weird or unnatural to talk about—it would be talking about a story you read. Additionally, Skrell religions need some love. I’d like Weishii to have an identity other than “It’s Qeblak but with less stars and more... something, I guess.” I want to flesh both sides out (Qeblak’s horoscopes are unfinished) so perhaps one day a Skrell priest could have something to actually talk about. Plus there mayyy be some fun to be had with some Skrell conspiracy theorists, but I haven’t committed to that yet. I’m also rather interested in genetic defects and diseases that could be a result of the genetic bottlenecking of the species. But maybe that’s just the biologist in me and no one else is. Like I said, I throw out a lot of ideas and see what sticks.

You can find my essay Here (Boy I hope that works, I'm not extremely experienced with google docs).

Notes: I’m CST (GMT -5 when daylight savings isn’t active) and off for the summer before I start back another year in (a new) college. I can be reached any time I’m not sleeping.

Edited by Senpai Jackboot

The entire is well done and reads very well, I had no issue going through it even though it passed from "wiki material" to "in-game book material"-
You've picked perhaps the most boring topic you could have and I have to say I'm impressed you actually made me interested in reading about a calendar of a fictional species.

But I'd say the description of the holidays goes on a bit too long. While the short stories added to the holidays were well written they were a bit boring and didn't overall add much to the holidays besides a lot of names that almost made me skip the whole thing. I feel like the conscience parade could have been shortened considerably without any loss to the importance of the holiday or context of it.

The second-holiday example was more entertaining, but again the longwinded historical and contextual description felt a bit too much and could be shortened and shrunk.

Requirement said "The longer the better" so do keep in mind this is my personal opinion and I understand that as an author you could have struggled with something as boring as a skrell calendar and so I am quite impressed by what you've done with it.

In the past you've had issues with criticism, while I consider that mine was completely objective you've taken quite an affront to it. People change and time heals all wounds, so don't take this criticism as my request to accept everything I say but merely my opinion. However your reply and defense of your work would be highly valued.

Good luck with the application.

8 hours ago, Coalf said:

The entire is well done and reads very well, I had no issue going through it even though it passed from "wiki material" to "in-game book material"-
You've picked perhaps the most boring topic you could have and I have to say I'm impressed you actually made me interested in reading about a calendar of a fictional species.

But I'd say the description of the holidays goes on a bit too long. While the short stories added to the holidays were well written they were a bit boring and didn't overall add much to the holidays besides a lot of names that almost made me skip the whole thing. I feel like the conscience parade could have been shortened considerably without any loss to the importance of the holiday or context of it.

The second-holiday example was more entertaining, but again the longwinded historical and contextual description felt a bit too much and could be shortened and shrunk.

Requirement said "The longer the better" so do keep in mind this is my personal opinion and I understand that as an author you could have struggled with something as boring as a skrell calendar and so I am quite impressed by what you've done with it.

In the past you've had issues with criticism, while I consider that mine was completely objective you've taken quite an affront to it. People change and time heals all wounds, so don't take this criticism as my request to accept everything I say but merely my opinion. However your reply and defense of your work would be highly valued.

Good luck with the application.

I would never ask for the entire story to be put on the wiki. And one for each holiday? It's definitely overlong for something like that, I agree! My hope was to be able to make an entire story like that, and then chop it up and put in the important parts (mostly a remembered quote. Quotes hold power, in my eyes, and are a direct connection to history). Just enough to give every Skrell an understanding of why the holiday is important, while leaving out such minute details that no one but the most dedicated would ever read. Dominia has holidays centered around their religion and government, two things very important to them. I had to think about what Skrell believed were most important. History and Merit, with a spice of Good Federation Values™ came to mind.

I don't recall exactly what issue you refer to (I may have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to conflict), but I will explain myself and my philosophy as best I can. I really like when people come forth with thoughts about a pitched idea. A pooling of ideas or thoughts on changing them are what makes ideas better, far better than any one person could manage on their own. So I like debating with people that are willing to hear me out because I never aim to intentionally drag someone down. You don't progress that way. It gets difficult when people debate with a poor grasp of the baseline knowledge and the debate has to take a tangent to correct them, but I'm willing to do so as much as needed as long as the other person is willing to hear them. The best ideas come out of a conversation between several people with different beliefs on how something should be executed. (It's why I enjoy the Skrell discord so much. That's all it is: conversations between different people.) Whether the answer is convincing others to your side or finding a compromise, if as many ideas are heard and examined as possible, it's hard to accidentally leave something out or make critical mistakes.

Thanks for the input, Coalf, I do appreciate it.

Edited by Conspiir
Guest Marlon Phoenix

Thanks for your application. The Skrell Developer @VTCobaltblood has chosen another applicant, so this thread will be locked and archived. Feel free to reapply when a position opens in the future.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
  • Guest locked this topic