[Denied] Server Moderator Application - Naelynn

Basic Information
Byond Account: Naelynn
Character Name(s):  

Spoiler

image.png.8c9dcac25aa360cef824044e4d400f01.png

Discord username + tag: Naelynn#1337
Timezone: GMT +1 / Central Europe
When are you on Aurora?: Early mornings or late evenings, depending on my schedule. Often both.

Experience
How long have you played SS13?: My account was created in 2017 solely for the purpose of playing SS13.
How long have you played on Aurora: Ever since account creation. I don't like how other servers play out. 
How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I'd like to think I'm familiar with almost all of them, including obscure things. Primarily because of how long I was playing, and how often I jump to digging in the code to understand the details. Not to mention that I do not shy from reporting things or even fixing them myself when available, as seen with some of my PR's. 
Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: Yes, a trial that was running for a week in february.
Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: Yes. 
Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Full banned? No. Antag banned? One week, due to an over-the-line example of power gaming behavior. Unintentionally banned? Yes, I used to have to play over a VPN due to my university internet connection blocking BYOND - this sometimes lands me in a permabanned IP and I have to bug an admin to unban my account as I change the IP.

Personality
Why do you play SS13?: It's an amazing game in multiple aspects. The absolutely bonkers-insane depth of the mechanics, the fact that everyone in the community CARES about the game and their server (Because if you suffered through the learning curve, there is no way you don't).. And to have fun with other people. This point specifically is a big driving point for me - that *EVERYONE* should have fun in this game. Not just me, or just few other people. 
Why do you play on Aurora?: Because I despise how hectic and honestly lol-so-random other servers are. Aurora has dignity that other servers don't. Why should we have animations and mechanics for farting?! It's really not necessary... Aurora also has the right pace for someone like me who really likes reading - unlike other servers where it's act-then-talk, Aurora strives for talk-then-act approach by actually encouraging role play! 
What do moderators do?: Help players with whatever they need help with, handle OOC issues, make sure the round progresses smoothly, uphold the server's rules.
What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: It means that you should be even more responsible than a normal player and that you focus on primarily improving the experience for others.
Why do you want to be a moderator?: I'm convinced I can do a good job and I care /A LOT/ about this community.
What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: Patience, empathy, honesty, willingness to help in difficult scenarios.
How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I am capable of bottling things up and finishing my job without letting it affect me. If this bottling becomes too much, I know what my limits are and can request someone else to step in. However, this is rarely an issue.

Anything Else You Want to Add:
I have previously applied for a moderator position

Spoiler

here 

and here

Interview from the first app is here: https://pastebin.com/f1UHTVSG

Some of the replies have not been changed because I still agree with them. Same with the interview. I stand behind my answers. 

I have went out of my way in the past to invest time into players who were on a troublesome path. An example I can name during my trial was Kihatomai / James Praxton, whom I had a long discussion with and at least while I was there his behavior improved dramatically.

Because I know it will be brought up, I wish to address the fact that I had my previous trial declined.

Spoiler

The trial was denied due to an in game situation where I had acted out of line. 
Due to how heartbreaking it was for me to receive the denial, I have saved the ahelp in question, here it is in full: https://pastebin.com/ssuiENa0

Here is my memory of the situation:
It was a very tiring Malf round with round end being delayed by said malf. I have stepped out of bounds in dead chat and claimed to go into round with a purely validhunty reason, and then conducted in-round similarly to how I have described in dead chat. Those are the facts of what happened.

However, I would like to point several things out.

I have always cooperated with the admin team in ahelps to best of my ability, even when I disagreed. I respect the rules and never meant to break them. 

I have claimed, even in the dead chat screenshots themselves that RD or CE would be the only characters I would feel comfortable on doing the validhunt, and then went into round as a scientist instead.

I have claimed that the valid will be secured in about 20 minutes, when I have not taken any action against the ai until approximately ~45 minutes after I had joined. 

There were IC justifications for the character's behavior, included as printscreens and linked in the Ahelp.

Claiming that scientist building a KA when a miner joins a game as 'validhunty' is pushing it due to the mining meta at the time [this was before mining changes. Pickaxes were ridiculously slow, and there was no good starting KA]. At the time I often printed drills and plasma cutters for my miners as well in order to make them like me and deliver me resources more often. [Which is why the miner is mentioned in the Ahelp] I literally only happened to have the items on me when I was threathened for borging by the cyborgs [one of which was combat module]

I stayed within character knowledge limits and did not claim to have a scientist that could magically break into places. Most obvious example, the character didn't even know how to deconstruct a wall or a window. This would make any and all validhunting extremely painful and slow process.

The acting captain in the round said that the Ai is rogue. A scientist making something specific to help handle the current crisis with intent of handing it to security to help with the situation is fairly common, no? Sadly, I have no way to prove this intent due to literally being interupted by a cyborg ordering me to be cyborgified during the manufacturing process. However, as circumstantial evidence I submit the fact that I have delayed making the emp's to be the very last thing on my to-do list, even interrupting their manufacture in order to prepare tools for the miner to pick up and finishing the RnD research, despite not needing any levels to make emp grenades which are the only effective anti-ai/cyborg weapon I have made that round anyway. 

I would ask for you to consider all of my points in good faith before making your judgement, thank you - Naelynn.

The  very first round I saw with you back around was as your sec character, Odin, in a full sec cult. On deadhour. With lowpop. During this you:

- Crushered large parts of the armory despite already having a majority of security.
- Raided the accounts and bought tac armor + a bullup.
- Spam created nanopaste despite the fact there were zero credible threats.
- Ran around with the rest of cult, stealth converting people via gunpoint.
- After summoning, spent the round breaking into the back of the nuke centre to kill the two survivors whom you had previously force walled inside.

I feel like your attitude toward 'winning' is poor, and that ahelp you linked showcases that. Whilst none of the above is perhaps entirely against the rules, it, to my mind, shows a poor attitude toward the game at large - especially when this kind of thing is round after round, to the point where it's something of a meme. Likewise during your previous trial, near every interaction I had with you as a moderator was poor. It always felt like you came into ahelps firmly on one side of the other, were somewhat rude, and generally lacked people's skills.

Hey @Lemei thanks for the feedback!

I'd just like to comment on few of your points.

--------------------------------------
Facts:
 - "Ran around with the rest of cult, stealth converting people via gunpoint."
In that entire round I believe I had one conversion, which was a Janitor who wanted to keep his shotgun, so I had offered to let him keep it if he accepts a 'NanoTrasen bluespace gun license'. I had not even sought him out, he ran up to me and asked if he can keep the shotty, so I rolled with it. Hardly can be considered 'stealth converting'

- After summoning, spent the round breaking into the back of the nuke centre to kill the two survivors whom you had previously force walled inside.
Yes, because when Nar'Sie is summoned the round is essentially over and I did not want the two who were trapped there to have to wait until round end to be able to ghost.  Furthermore, I spent well over 20 minutes speaking with the captain [and later HoS who came into the office], trying to give them some good rp and give them a chance to be converted instead of slaughtered. After that time, the cult mob bursted into the office and instead of allowing the mob to murderize people with little reason, I had walled them in and gave them a little more time.
--------------------------------------
Personal opinions, comments and additions:

- Crushered large parts of the armory despite already having a majority of security. 
At round start we had entirety of cargo AND security as cult. Later on some other officers joined but they were almost instantly converted. So what you are saying is that I took weapons that only my side had access to [because they are in secure lockers] and destroyed them? And somehow that is... powergaming?

- Raided the accounts and bought tac armor + a bullup.
I had pm'd the cult cargo tech that they can buy w/e they want with the money, but they didn't seem to care. Felt like a waste to not use it since I put some effort into getting it. /shrug.

- Spam created nanopaste despite the fact there were zero credible threats.
I do not remember exactly if this is the case, but I'm willing to believe it. Neither do I remember if there was anyone in robotics. Either way, would you accuse an organic character of power gaming if they carry bandages + ointment on them in case they get shot? Short of broken bones, there is no difference between having bandages+ointment for organic and nanopaste for an ipc. [Nanopaste cannot repair internal ipc damage without a roboticist to perform the equivalent of surgery]

- "especially when this kind of thing is round after round, to the point where it's something of a meme"
Interesting, because in another recent cult as Narra round I spent most of the round in a closed room trying to do a non-violent see-ghosts gimmick. In yet another recent round as an antagonist. 

In another recent round, this time as Ninja Nomad I had coordinated with traitors and enabled their gimmicks by coordinating rp with them and acting as inciting incident to what caused them to go bonkers.  Round ended with me attacking people 0 times [Though I did use some leg actuator leaps to knock some people down for rp].  In this round I had even delayed my gimmick to try and save an officer who got screwed by the other ninja going mega-aggro and was bleeding out in a completely different part of station due to it being early into the round - it would be really shitty for him to die so early and miss most of the round. Later on in the round when medical was overwhelmed due to a disease, I wanted to have a person healed of their wounds, but medical simply didn't have time to even rp. Instead of making life even more hellish for the players, I just went and did the surgery myself. Sure, you could probably interpret this as power gaming if you wish, but I'd argue that my core reason is not to 'feel like a bad ass' [a.k.a power gaming] but rather 'Oh damn, the doctors are having a hard time, let's give them some space so they can enjoy the game a bit more'. [a.k.a focusing on making sure others enjoy the round more]

In ANOTHER recent round, this time as Rev. Leader Azski, we had screwed up the game mode balance in favor of fellows a bit too much, so I had came up with a plan to correct it - the bioweapon story. [Instead of going mega-commando with 50tc and doing exactly what you accuse me of] The admins even seem to have liked it and started posting server wide messages about how it was starting to affect people!   : D 

- Likewise during your previous trial, near every interaction I had with you as a moderator was poor. It always felt like you came into ahelps firmly on one side of the other, were somewhat rude, and generally lacked people's skills.
Ouch. I'm sorry I'm not sure what to do about what you said here except accept your criticism and keep trying to be cordial and professional? 

Though, I'm a little confused as to how you got this impression in the first place, can you please post some logs where I was rude? I'd like to know how I managed to put that impression across.   : ( 

As far as I remember, when I took an ahelp I was generally fairly slow in resolving it because I always went in and dug up logs for where relevant, or even went code digging on github to explain things that I didn't understand properly.

Edited by Naelynn
small edits - better readability