BYOND Key: jrphoenix303

Character Names: 

Chalk

Reinstatement of Nelle Aultimi

Eotiima (AI)

Chiara Raszam

Species you are applying to play: Vaurca

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Scay’s 71, 0, 31

Have you read our lore section's page on this species: I won’t say I’ve read EVERY page on EVERY queen, but I’ve read a large number of the important pages and plenty of the not so important ones. I will more than likely always have the wiki open anyway, as I do with any species.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I’ve been interested in the mechanics and general playstyle of a Vaurca for a time, but it wasn’t until recently that I sat down and really read the lore. I’ve found them to be a very complex but potentially very fun (if done right) species. A couple friends have recommended that I finally bite the bullet and apply, so I’ve elected to put time into understanding and chatting with people around the lore and observing players. I have an interest in playing because it feels like a very different way to play the game, and comes across as an entirely different way to view the lore coming from an outside position such as a Vaurca.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Vaurca seem like a fun species with a complex social structure, along with the discrimination and unique way of being that a Vaurca is affected by, that also change how they interact with both each other and other species. Outside of the obvious physical differences between a Vaurca and nearly every other species currently known, the way a Vaurca is raised differs greatly, with their VR capability as well as limited physical lifespan - paired with a limitless and very complex VR digital lifespan - gives them a very interesting view on what it is to be ‘alive’.

I find the hive class system (Worker, Warrior, Breeder, et cetera) to divide up into very specific directions how each class should pursue themselves, but even within a class, one could strive to look outside the box and expand upon what they know to be able to further benefit their primary purpose. It gives a depth of character to what could have been a very shallow type of system if it were extremely restricted (Warrior HAS to be an officer, worker HAS to be x, that sort of thing).

Character Name: Ka’Akaix’Graphe Zo’ra

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

Ka’Akaix’Graphe Zo’ra is a Vaurca hailing from the Lesser Queen Scay. Being born a couple hundred years ago, it has spent nearly all of its time alive in Scay’s VR, experimenting primarily with more sentient creatures (Diona in the case of the past while), and how their interactions take place with Vaurca and Sedantis creatures alike.

Upon the arrival of Titan Prime around seven years ago to Tau Ceti, Graphe spent an additional year inside VR, taking interest in the new human subjects. After this year passes, Graphe exits VR, and takes a short time to become accustomed to reality as well as to find work as a robotics assistant in an NT facility. Five years of this passed, and Graphe became very knowledgeable in both how robotics work in line with biological subjects, as well as continuing to function extremely well in the workplace (still as an assistant to a roboticist). Its curiosity about the human body and even being able to cut a real physical human or other species open from time to time (to install augments, of course) gives it a lot of valuable information that it regularly gives to its hive to bolster the accuracy of the VR experiments.

As Zeng-Hu opens hiring for Zo’ra Vaurca, they extend an offer to Graphe and a large handful of other promising Vaurca to work for them instead of NT on the promise of receiving an avowal if they continue to demonstrate a capability to function at or above its current level in a Zeng-Hu environment.

A month passes in this limbo state, and Graphe finally receives an avowal and is deployed to the NSS Aurora to begin full independent work as a roboticist, while still managing its secondary (really primary) goal of acquiring new information for Scay’s VR. Graphe is now about seven years old, excluding time in VR, and is looking up to continue working for Zeng-Hu for the foreseeable future.

What do you like about this character:

So, Graphe does not particularly care for other species, however it DOES attempt to be friendly in a “roundabout” way to get closer to and therefore be able to observe the mannerisms and behaviours of each species. This is to be able to gather any potentially new bit of information to increase the potential of it’s queen’s VR.

Graphe is a Worker and while obviously quite trained in the use of dangerous objects and sharp tools, usually avoids even being around a dangerous situation, and will more than often sit in its lab or hide somewhere if combat comes near. On the other hand, Graphe does see the informational value of actually physically observing combat and the effects it can have on one’s body, both in terms of being hurt as well as adrenaline exhaustion, et cetera. Its interest in learning can often fight with its interest in simply not being near a dangerous situation.

Another reason I like Graphe because they have such an odd view of other sentient species, seeing them more as potential experiments than truly ‘people’, while still having to balance out the scale of studying them and getting closer to them to be ABLE to study them, as being a passive observer can only get one so far.

How would you rate your role-playing ability:

I still give myself a 8/10 as with my previous applications. I do my best to not break immersion and create a fun experience for everyone.

Notes:

Graphe is initially friendly with other Zo’ra Hive Vaurca, and could be considered more or less indifferent to the other hives, except when they have information that Graphe could use to bolster Scay’s VR’s accuracy. That’s when Graphe does tend to try to get a little closer or just to specifically avoid being abrasive towards the other hives.

Graphe is a believer in the Modern Pantheon and follow the guidelines set by its Queens, occasionally deciding to visit a helper queen to speak about any number of faith related subjects.

Phoenix is honestly one of the best RPers I think we have. Chalk for instance is a wonderful and unique IPC that brings endless synthetic life to our station and the relay. I feel that phoenix could easily play a wonderful vaurca and their app character is already shaping up to be quite a neat one. A big plus one from me.

I've been thinking a while about the Dionae experimentation, and both the Vaurca and Diona teams have come to the conclusion that this would've probably happened only with individual nymphs, not a Gestalt. We have neglected the pests of the Titan Prime a bit, and it's partly my fault because I completely forgot to add it on my history rewrite, but they were not really seen as people for long, or probably even sentient. I'm still thinking how it could've happened when it comes to not just whacking them as pests, but everything else reads fine on the app.

• Roostercat changed the title to [Accepted] jrphoenix303 Vaurca Whitelist
  • Roostercat locked this topic