Allow for the removal of fingers/ears/eyes in character prefs.

Shadow7889

So hear me out, I know there are a few folks, your truly included that play characters with perma-injuries without augmentation due to various reasons (Religious, etc.) I'd like to have a means to remove certain parts of the body for races, in regards to said injuries, and an update to their IC sprites. For example one of my officers, a Dominion lost his right eye in an unfortunate event, however due to his faith, he cannot bring himself to augment the lost eye, and wears an eyepatch for the sake of appearances. 

Not sure if this has been talked about before, or if its even possible but yeah. 

I approve as well.

What I'd like to see is something that would also "adapt" clothes to crippled characters. If you are to, say, remove a character's arm, the jumpsuit's sleeve (taking jumpsuits for the sake of exemple, but it applies to most other clothes if not all as far as I know) would then still be present.

Having something that simply cuts off that part of the cloth sprite would be quite nice... I don't know how that could be implemented, but there it is.

2 minutes ago, Captain Gecko said:

I approve as well.

What I'd like to see is something that would also "adapt" clothes to crippled characters. If you are to, say, remove a character's arm, the jumpsuit's sleeve (taking jumpsuits for the sake of exemple, but it applies to most other clothes if not all as far as I know) would then still be present.

Having something that simply cuts off that part of the cloth sprite would be quite nice... I don't know how that could be implemented, but there it is.

This would also be a really cool idea!

• 2 months later...

So, my bartender lizard, Rire, is missing an eye, which I did by using the Heterochromia option like greenjoe said, and a few face markings to look like a scar, then I used the eyepatch. Colored right, it allows for the one eye look. In Rire's case, they have red scales, so the body markings were a really pale pinkish color, and the heterochromia option was the exact same color as those markings. You could also use the heterochromia marking to be your skin color if you're not going to use grievous scarring on the face like I did. As for having the other eye missing, you do it mostly the same; heterochromia, but change the actual eyes' color, and keep the heterochromia color to your eye color. Eyepatch only covers the right eye though, so unless there is a way to make it so you can have eyepatches on the left eye, you won't be able to cover it. Likewise with the i-patch, and all the HUDpatches. Considering the eyes act as one organ regardless rather than separate for a left and right eye, that's about the closest you can get I think. Its worked for me, at least, and that's the best I can say with minimal effort.

Missing an ear is harder, and I'd like to find a way to do that. Fingers is damn near impossible I believe without just using Flavor Text.

I love the idea of basically removing a sleeve or something for characters missing an arm... or for the 'cool' factor that someone will inevitably try. Like a single handed glove, which is another thing I want but is irrelevant right now.

More things to do for crippled characters is good in my opinion. Can add diversity, where you have people not quite in perfect condition all the time.

• Gem locked this topic