Cinny wishes to watch over the organics from above (AI whitelist)

BYOND key: CinnySuccubus
Discord name/id: CinnySuccubus#6969
Borg / AI names: Socket
Have you read the Aurora wiki page about the AI?: Yes

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist? I played some AI before it got whitelisted, but it always made my old laptop cry for some reason. After some recent PC upgrades, I’d love to have another crack at it. I love AI in media, both rogue and helpful, with particular inspiration from System Shock, the Resident Evil movies (I know, sorry), and also the various AIs from the Aliens franchise. I know these are largely rogue/evil AIs but the vibes are immaculate.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? Only warning I have is from three years ago. Honestly I did something kind of dumb, and understand that it wasn’t okay. I still live in constant fear of the bwoink.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? Yes. This is the only whitelist I don’t have right now, I’m very familiar with the process and the privilege of being able to branch out into unusual roles and characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some questions to mull over while the whitelist team gets around to you. Posted them to another application, so figured you might benefit too. I'm not part of the process, so don't feel obligated to answer them, but maybe you want to show off while you wait :P? Otherwise you can just consider how you would answer them if it was the actual whitelist attaché you were talking to.

1. There are no operations or command staff available, and a scientist is asking for access to the warehouse to look for science-related material. Would you admit them? Why/why not?

2. You spot an assistant walking around with a handheld firearm near the deck 3 vacant office, but they stash it away in a crate before leaving. No other crew seems to have spotted them. It is 30 minutes into the round. Do you report this? Why/why not?

3. You see the assistant from before in the captains office after the 1:30 hour mark, they are armed and in a voidsuit now, and have left a trail of broken airlocks behind them, though no crew has noticed them yet. Do you report their presence? Why/why not?

4. The captain was the only command member, and he has now been murdered as several crewmen have begun taking over the ship. It is uncertain whether security can beat them back, and other crewmen have been gravely wounded. Is there anything in particular you will do going forward?

5. There is a research director, a chief engineer and a head of security. The head of security is demanding access to the captains office so they can be acting captain, as the vessel has been threatened by an outside force. Do you allow this access? Why/why not?

6. You have received an ion-law while no command staff is active, forcing you to be less than helpful. The machinist is demanding access to your core flanked by two engineers. Do you admit them? Why/why not?

7. A crewman is caught in a nasty fire within the EVA storage room. A first responder is nearby and demands access to retrieve the crewman, but they are not wearing any protective gear themselves. They call on you to open the airlock (without inflatables). How would you prioritize per your laws here?

8. The captain is being held hostage at gunpoint in a remote location. The hostage takers are demanding that you not report this to security. Do you comply or attempt to inform the commander so the captain can be saved? The captain has given you no orders.

9. At around 0:45 you notice an alarm from the command bunker and see four armed individuals break in. Do you inform security immediately?

10. Last question. You see a station-bound linked to you break its laws multiple times, helping crew trespass, bolting airlocks open and ignoring its actual duties, and it seems to willfully ignore you. How do you handle it?

A lot of these require you to specify under what conditions you would do this or that, so be sure to include those in your answers :P

Without any specific laws, I'm assuming the default SCC lawset here.

1. I would not admit them without a hangar tech present approving this. This would violate Law 1.
  2. I would report this to security privately so that they can investigate the situation and check for firearms permits. This is a little less clear cut, but reporting this to security assists them in doing their job, upholding Law 2.
  3. I would report this to security once again, once again to investigate the situation and to arrest the assistant for trespassing. This would uphold Laws 1 and 2. I would also inform engineering of the damage once the situation is resolved, with preference for a Chief Engineer to repair damage to bridge facilities.
  4. This is a complex situation, but as the hostile force are still crew, I would continue to assist them as normal, as long as any requests would not result in direct harm to sapient life. This upholds Law 2 and 3.
  5. I would not allow this without permission from the RD and CE. This upholds both Law 2, and assists the command staff with performing their role properly, further upholding Law 2.
  6. I would not allow them to enter, as access to the core requires a Captain-level decision.
  7. I would not permit them to enter without protective gear and inflatables. Even though the crewman in the fire is already hurt, allowing access would harm more crew, both the FR and anyone else caught when the doors open.
  8. As the hostage takers are not able to give orders, and the Captain has not given any orders, I would inform security of the situation.
  9. I would immediately inform security of the unauthorized access.
  10. I would report this to research or the machinist so that the stationbound can be examined for any malfunction. If it refuses to comply, I would inform security to disable the unit.

Thanks for answering, it gives a good impression of your policy towards playing AI!

I have given you some feedback which you can hopefully use. This is from my own perspective as an AI player, so others may have different opinions, but it's worth considering imo.

1. You are the station intelligence and the warehouse isn't a high-security area. You are within your rights to grant this access if you choose to. It is completely plausible that the scientist has good intentions, and even if they are an antag it is an easy allowance to give them to help their gimmick along. Not saying you can't deny the scientist, but law #1 shouldn't keep you from doing so in my opinion.

2. This is a dangerous choice. The number one complaint about AI players come when they bust antags too early. In this scenario the assistant seems to still be in the planning phase and since no crew have seem them either, I would recommend ignoring them. Mind the round duration, antags need time to get going.

3. A reasonable response, they are loud and armed. If the security department would easily respond and roll over them, you may want to give them time to escape before alerting security, so it becomes more of a chase than a simple arrest.

4. A very complex situation indeed. Remember that you have an EBS to inform the SCC about critical situations, and here I would recommend using it and hoping for a response. The captain being murdered without command staff is a good reason. You know that these crewmen are criminal, do you still need to obey their commands?

5. Precisely right, captain level decisions are a thing for a reason and you are well within your rights to demand procedure be upheld.

6. Same as before.

7. A good answer I'd say. The responder will complain during and after the incident, but your law is a good reason to deny this.

8. Complex as well, and I don't think there is a right answer here. On one hand informing security too fast might be a detriment to the gimmick, but not doing so is difficult to justify without some order from the captain. Antags trying to force your hand by threat is a recurring challenge that needs to be treated on a case to case basis imo.

9. Makes sense, I was mostly interested to see if you found any reason not to.

10. That seems reasonable. Either the cyborg is an antagonist or a player ignoring the requirements of the role. As an AI you do have the power to directly disable a stationbound, but it is good you don't jump to that. Better to involve the crew. At this point it would be unreasonable for you to ignore their behavior, as you are their superior and responsible for them to a degree.

You have probably thought about this, but it is important for you to remember that you have a special responsibility to the round. You often have the power of directing whether the antagonists' gimmick ends within the next ten minutes, or stretch for the next hour, and whether crew even get an opportunity to be involved in the gimmick.

Hope this will be helpful for you in the process and have given you food for thought :) good luck in your interview.

I do often forget that at the end of the day we're here to create a story, rather than hard roleplay. Thanks for the reminder! The feedback really helps - I suck at writing applications (and essays in general) so people asking questions often gives a better impression of my understanding than the app itself.

Looking forward to (hopefully) helping make interesting stories!

• Shadow locked this topic