Engineering: The Mappening

As per usual, got bored, and decided to see if there was an area I could improve the mapping of, turns out there might be.

First:

The nacelles for the SCCV Horizon were a bit compact/misused some space, even having the phoron line go to both the omni-mixer and the input line that the omni-mixer connects to, was pointless. Additionally, engineering players have been running tests and just enjoying the mechanics of atmospherics, so I thought it might be nice for them to have more workspace and thus the potential for bigger/better projects. Lastly, there was a suggestion to have a dedicated Hydrogen line brought to each nacelle, so that engineers could also experiment with such in the burn chamber.

Spoiler

691530fe37141ea014659ad938f5baf6.thumb.png.14b8a5317acd001dddade1c1ba5e95b6.png

With that, I decided to look around and personally thought the atmospherics storage/lockerroom was a bit obtuse, poor use of space, and in general might need polishing. The remapping of the lockerroom changed nothing about the resources/equipment atmospheric technicians have, but it did extend/expand the portable pump and scrubber area to now hold four each instead of two. To compensate for that, I removed two of each from the hallways of engineering, since you would fill them before use anyways or return such to a scrubber line.

Spoiler

42cb85b580806c21a86242cd7a30db6b.png.e8021f63b64c668391c8d14a2dec32d2.png

I do not play engineering as much as others so I refrained from touching anything else, however, if there are any requests/desires from engineering players or players in general for QOL improvements to the area, I would be more than happy to implement them. I plan on putting up a PR for this about three days, feedback is always appreciated.

Not an engineering player so I won't say much.. Just that this ladder in the second pic scares me. I'm remembering the death-hole from the Aurora's warehouse, and I can already imagine a good lot of engineers plumetting through by stepping in the wrong direction. I don't know how it's doable, but I'd either:

- Move it to the edges of the room, perhaps that lower right corner with the light tube.

- putting railings all around the ladder, except in one direction, most likely the bottom side.

11 hours ago, Hunt said:

I do not play engineering as much as others so I refrained from touching anything else, however, if there are any requests/desires from engineering players or players in general for QOL improvements to the area, I would be more than happy to implement them. I plan on putting up a PR for this about three days, feedback is always appreciated.

I like what you've got already, but as an addition: if you could make the phoron, hydrogen, and carbon dioxide tank outputs start off instead of on, that would be really helpful and allow us a lot more room to move things around without compromising any default functionality. Right now, phoron, hydrogen, CO2 etc have the console output set to where the vents will automatically fill any line they're connected to to at least 2000kpa, meaning any line that isn't already separated by a valve or something similar will already be full of gas by the time you get to it and therefore way harder to modify. If output started off instead, that would be ideal. Pretty much every engineer that knows how to do anything in atmos control knows to turn output up and on, so it wouldn't make anything harder for newbies either. A 100% benefit, imo. O2 and N2 can stay how they are since those affect the air mix tank as well.

Edited by Sneakyranger

I second what Sneaky said about having some of the tank inputs start as off. Especially for phoron, as if you want to modify one of those lines in any way you need to drain it somewhere or otherwise risk a (relatively) small phoron fire tearing the pipes up. It takes no time at all to toggle a tanks output open once you're ready, and due to the high pressures the tanks are kept at, lines will tend to fill very quickly once set.

As for the mapping side of the thrusters, more room is great. Only thing I'd change is to straighten out the phoron supply and mixer output lines, instead of having them bend to hug the wall. While that might seem a bit counter-intuitive for the purpose of more space for modifications, it would open up the option to overlap pipelines across each other which may be better for making the most of the given space.

Apologies for the late response,

I appreciate the feedback, I was unaware the Phoron/Hydro/and CO2 lines starting 'online' was a significant issue so I will see what changes I can make, it should be an easy fix. As for the ladder, you can walk upon the ladder tile without issue, the current placement of the ladder simply allows you to climb down into the actual atmospherics area instead of being behind a windoor. If there is any other feedback/changes people notice in the coming days that they would like done with engineering, please do let me know.

The PR/mapping of this may be delayed slightly, due to a PR that would involve changing pipe code/etc, it is easier to wait and implement my map changes once such is merged. I believe it should be done within the week so we will see.

Synopsis:

• You can not fall down the ladder-well, so it should be fine in the location it is, I picked such just so you would climb into atmospherics itself rather than the gas-tank area.
  • I will try and have Phoron, Hydrogen, and CO2 lines start off to give atmospherics/engineering players an easier time with modifications.
  • I will straighten out the phoron supply and mixer lines instead of having them follow the edge of the room. 

If there is anything else, once again, let me know! Should have progress pictures/updates tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Map/Progress update:

Thrusters

Spoiler

23d3e05cc9a53cfe00c078b5317b200e.png.7101c31a65937149820fd4e0679caeeb.png

Atmospherics Locker Room:

Spoiler

6a00481757ce8ef2914e1a28e7c8ec33.png.275ed5312e60613693ffb3e6b0690238.png

Hangar Fuel Bay:

Spoiler

fd88999ee53c7f076d1a52fa3b928e94.png.601c79a1bf247f040da0d709a387f88c.png

Atmospherics Tank Network:

Spoiler

1083adcd9baa83306be265fbf4425380.thumb.png.be6d8565f98d61a42f64ffc0b6d0b299.png

Meeting room update:

Spoiler

11443b0b8c5e6d9f1f045a14d28ae86f.thumb.png.1f5cb8313c10cd1fb44c52456641f9a7.png

Regarding the new hangar fuel bay, I expect that to be the area of most concern/opinion.

• Only atmospherics, hangar technicians, shaft miners, and xenoarcheologists can access this area to refuel the shuttles as needed; hangar technicians now can do what actual hangar staff do.
  • The pumps alongside the airlocks are access-restricted, ensuring potential issues are rarer.
  • The Phoron line to the fuel bay starts off, and an atmospheric technician will need to start it if the canister gets low, but the canister starts at 5000 kPa and should be more than enough to refuel shuttles throughout the shift.
  • In the event phoron-tanks are lost/misplaced for shuttles, spares have been put in the secure segment of EVA.
Edited by Hunt
  • Gem locked this topic