Character Complaint - Osisra Devorask

BYOND Key: Dessysalta
Game ID: ctt-cQyV
Player Byond Key/Character name: Osisra Devorask
Staff involved: ReadThisNamePlz (She told me to make a complaint since this was ~5 mins til roundend and didn't want to delay it.)
Reason for complaint: Osisra Devorask, on an autotraitor round, got a report that the Intrepid had been fired upon while 3 security members (2 of which were investigators) were present on the Horizon. This led to the XO calling for all 3 of the only security on board to the Intrepid (or Canary), gearing them up for an assault and then sending them to the ship in question. As a note, I think this was later into the round when they confirmed the ship was "drifting" and didn't respond to attempts to hail (come to find out, the reactor had detonated and the captain on the freebooter vessel cryo'd).

This was bizarre and I've been ahelped/talked to for doing roughly the same thing previously. Given all I saw when I got there was all of our security gone and 5 greimorians about, I tried to ask ICly what occurred and then ahelped to see if we could get some further info. My thought process is, with only 3 security present and the ship having been assumed to be vented/a derelict and thus not worth checking out, why send anyone at all, especially when there had previously been a threat on board and we were so understaffed? Doesn't this just needlessly risk life and limb?

Apologies if all of this is a bit jumbled or disorganized. It wasn't at all expected from my perspective, and I barely had time to adjust.
Did you attempt to adminhelp the issue at the time? If so, what was the known action taken by administration/moderation? 
Yeah. Here's the contents of our ticket.

Spoiler

image.png.5d9f4bbfef9af73f0a1becb702ab4bd4.png

Approximate Date/Time: 04/29/2024, about 5 PM EST?

DISCLAIMER: I swear I don't mean any of this in bad blood, I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, but I was told to make a character complaint so a proper investigation could be opened just in case this was out of line. I said in the ticket and I'll say it here, I got there about 20 minutes until the end of the round, I know literally nothing.

Hello! Disclaimers, formatting is weird because I am typing this from my phone, and it is 2am. So if things come out a bit jumbled, sorry for that.

First of all: No offense taken. I understand that this is probably the most effective route to get something like this handled.

As for the round. In the round, Security (consisting of two investigators and an officer), as well as myself as Osisra, were just done with a manhunt that can only be summarized as "man fires a shot, hides and isn't seen for another forty minutes". As XO, and sole Command member at the time, I was juggling this situation together with managing an expedition done by the two BC. Almost immediately after the antag went to the residential lift, I was informed by the BC flying the Intrepid that they were fired upon by the Freebooter ship. The Freebooter ship had been in touch with us earlier in the round, but this was their first act of hostility. 

After securing the ship, and picking up the other BC who was stranded on the derelict mining station, I opt to appoint an interim CE, as well as declare intent to eliminate the hostile ship. I announced over hailing that they had the option to surrender, or we would shoot. There was no response, and I noticed that the ship was drifting in one straight line. Because of those facts (lack of response and the sudden drifting of a vessel after they just engaged in combat), I decided that boarding them would be a better option. My motivation was that a ship drifting in the sector would pose a danger to other spacefaring crafts, and the least we could do is reverse their speed so they stopped moving. With the information I gathered in mind, I determined that this wasn't a 'full' combat mission.

The boarding team consisted of a BC, a Physician, the one Security Officer, and the two Investigators. Had there been any semblance of population in the Security department, I would not have sent out the Investigators. It is a bad practice, since they are effectively being asked to be combatants, which is secondary to their normal tasks. The alternative, however, was to send the Security Officer in as the only combatant. This did NOT seem preferable at all to me.

I decided that engaging with the Freebooter would be an interesting way to spice up this round that was, in all honesty, made dull by the active traitor shooting once and then disappearing without a word. This involved a lot of the members of the crew in one way or another.

What went wrong?

- Perhaps you're right, in regards to the Grems! I should've had someone deal with them. But also, by the time the Grems were called, the Canary just took off. 

- The communication between the entire boarding party was poor, and I did not use the tools I had available to me at that time. This resulted in the entire boarding taking longer than it should have.

- My communication with the Warden got off on a really wrong foot, due to me trying to clear up the confusion with the boarding party both over Command and over Security, while also trying to answer the questions posed to me. The culmination of this, together with the mild frustration over the basically-fake manhunt earlier, made my answers towards the Warden abrasive.

In my optic, these all contributed to what I think is the core of this complaint. It is very possible I may have overlooked something (I am very tired), so I will get to those tomorrow.

Edited by Nagito Komaeda
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bear said:

@Nagito Komaeda did you believe the vessel was still a threat at the time you dispatched a team to it?

Once I noticed the vessel drifting, there was no active threat anymore. They weren't shooting at the Intrepid, or at us. However, it was still a vessel drifting through space, and my IC justification was that it would be dangerous to leave that unattended to. That being said, it would be irresponsible to send the one officer in, when there could still reasonably be danger- we were talking about a ship that opened fire on an SCC ship.