Server's down

Just so everyone's aware, yes, the server is down. Sounds like there's a DDoS hitting the datacenter, or something to that effect. I do have a monitor set to poke it every 5 minutes and let me know when it starts responding again, and I'll reply here and change the title of this thread when it's back.

It baffles me that someone with the capability of generating enough traffic for a DoS attack would choose to target an online game. I've noticed this happening with increasing frequency, and not to tell the hosts their business, but maybe it's time to fiddle with the firewall and see if we can't optimize it.

It baffles me that someone with the capability of generating enough traffic for a DoS attack would choose to target an online game. I've noticed this happening with increasing frequency, and not to tell the hosts their business, but maybe it's time to fiddle with the firewall and see if we can't optimize it.

It's the datacenter being hit from what I was told, not the hosting provider or server itself. That's waaaay beyond what the admins can do anything about.

also another thing with DDoSing/firewall relationships

Whether or not you have a firewall will not really make much of a difference, because even the more expensive and highly acclaimed firewalls are still very limited in defense against DDoS. As soon as it hits, the connection is still paralyzed regardless of your firewall.

you need a damnably expensive firewall with generous bandwidth upkeep to be able to defend itself against against an attack on the distributed level, if we're counting out what makes firewalls so horridly ineffective against DDoS in the first place. In short, firewalls are not designed to defend against such sophisticated attacks.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/traffic-anomaly-detector-xt-5600a/prod_white_paper0900aecd8011e927.html

^for more info on the matter.

To be fair, a few of us have been attempting to refresh reconnecting to the server on-off since the past few hours.

I'm headed to sleep, as well. DDoS requires a lot of upkeep, it'll stop eventually.

As a note, they are not attacking the server but the framework the server is on.

The server is held in one of the most successful databases in the US that has a large amount of DDoS protection and firewalls, but no amount of DDoS protection or firewalls can protect from a framework attack.