Letz Shake's Head Whitelist Application

BYOND key: Letz Shake

Character names: Nehma Ga'dan, Crystal Brookes, Chef (Various Replacement First Names) Vortivask, C.H.E.F.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: A few months. I played on the very similar Alium Deathtrap server for much longer.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: There seems to rarely be any heads of staff on. I am pretty experienced in playing heads (mainly Research Director and Chief Medical Officer) on other servers, and I'm a good, careful roleplayer.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I was looking for a serious roleplay server. I previously played a lot on Alium. I fell out of playing there, not really for any reason in particular. I rarely am online at times that it is active, but Aurora is active when I am. I find the staff of Aurora is a lot friendlier.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Habitually. All the time, for no reason in particular and also literally every time I play a closely related role. I'm a wiki addict.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: This is a hard question. For me, role play is about really immersing yourself in the setting and the character. Not just to play a game but also to make... basically a really unqiue dynamic creative writing environment. It can lead to humor, silliness, seriousness, action, suspense. Bringing out real emotions because you're invested in the game, in a way non-interactive storytelling can't, and sharing that experience with others.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: Every department needs organization, OOC and IC. While they aren't the same as actual admins, heads of staff maintain discipline among the crew since it can cause problems, if lacking. Lack of IC order takes fun from the game for all involved, because it bleeds into IC and OOC frustration. Heads of staff are the in game 'rules' that come before staff interference.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: As I said in the above section, as a head of staff, it's your job to keep order among your department and the crew, and also to protect them in ways they don't normally have access to, themselves, such as calling the shuttle in an emergency, and extending access for the greater good of the station.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Nehma Ga'dan

Character age: 50

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs): As a young boy, Nehma was orphaned after a syndicate incident that led to the death of his birth parents, whose identities have been lost to time. He was adopted by a Tajaran family, his father a Tajaran miner who later climbed his way to Research Director in the White Nebula system station, colloquially known as the "Alium Deathtrap".

Due to the large amount of life threatening events in the White system, Mishaal, the patriarch of the Ga'dan family, transferred to the Aurora's system.

Though the elder Ga'dan has since retired, his son followed in his foot(paw)steps, first as a miner, then as a researching scientist. Unlike other scientists, who attempt to be multidisciplinary, Nehma prefers to keep to the R&D lab and robotics, and rarely ventures into telescience and xenoscience. Though he seeks to expand to these new departments.

What do you like about this character?: Besides that I generally enjoy the Tajaran speech patterns and mannerisms, I like Nehma's almost single-minded devotion to science. He has social quirks that don't really come out as much since he is rarely approached, but he's fun to roleplay, even if he fades into the background.

What do you dislike about this character?: Because of his somewhat awkward social natrure and dedication to his work, he often fades into the background and is ignored by the rest of the crew.. Also his unwillingness to study up Xenobio (ultimately, out of fear) and to a lesser extent, telescience can make rounds boring if research stalls or is completed.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff? (Please note that Head characters must be over 30, unless given special clearance): Yes.

Why?: Nehma, with his intense love of science, strives to make his department the focus of everything he does. He is calm, and never reckless with the safety of anyone but himself, and tries to see everything as objectively as he can. He will stop at little personal risk for the advancement of science, and takes great pride in his work. Becoming a research director and having to learn the other parts of his department would be excellent character growth as well.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: TENOUTTATEN! Nah not really. I have weaknesses. I still have trouble not seeing SS13 as a game, even though I get very immersed in RP. It's sometimes easy to forget "this is a character, I am not just trying to reach a goal, THEY are trying to reach that goal". I manage to avoid powergaming, but sometimes the temptation to pack away a bag of guns as Science or a syringe of sedative as a chemist is hard to fight.

I do feel, however, that I do a very good job staying relentlessly in character and being true to the characters I play. Many times, people don't realize that I'm on because my characters can have such radically different personalities from each other.

Extra notes: I played for a long time on Alium Deathtrap which is not entirely dissimilar to this server. I was whitelisted there, as well, and to my recollection never got in trouble for in-character actions (I was banned once, for telling the admin Sniper Sarah that she sucks at events, but was unbanned later). I've been playing Space Station 13 for probably around 6 years now, and have been roleplaying for something close to fifteen.

Having had numerous interactions with Nehma Ga'dan, with several of my characters, my impression is that he is a competent individual, and well fit for the position of research director. Also, in my opinion, Shake is a good RPer and is fun to play with. +1 from me.