[Completed] Cochlear Implant

Baka

BYOND Key: bakagaijin

Character name: Samantha Mason

Item name: Hearing Implant or Cochlear Implant

Why is your character carrying said item to work?: It is a ear piece for Sam who has waited a good chunk of her life for the ability to hear but was unreachable until now due to expenses and other outside factors. She's taking it to work to help her learn how to hear and understand verbal communication outside of reading lip and finally start working on fixing her terrible lisp.

Item function(s): Basically a glorified radio headset. It functions like one with no real specialties to it, taking key cards and whatnot. It's more of a fluff item.

Item description: "A specialized earpiece and headset combination. It appears to help those who are deaf hear."

Item appearance: Maybe either the goon sprite of the auditory headset (same function, really) F04F1Hd.png or a sprite version of a real Cochlear Implant ((Reference http://i.imgur.com/3vbD5mu.jpg))

Additional comments: Maybe it can also be a medical item that is coded in to check for deafness and can be handed to people who are deaf from cloning and waiting for clean SE or medication? *shrug*.

What if, instead of an item, it's a setting available in the character setup menu, similar to how you can have missing/mechanical limbs? Say, you can adjust your ears with the options of normal, deaf, or assisted? I'm sure it would be useful for a number of characters, including one of mine (I've been RPing Raelene Sagan having implants).

What if, instead of an item, it's a setting available in the character setup menu, similar to how you can have missing/mechanical limbs? Say, you can adjust your ears with the options of normal, deaf, or assisted? I'm sure it would be useful for a number of characters, including one of mine (I've been RPing Raelene Sagan having implants).

It is an idea to be entertained, once specific mechanics can be figured out. And I will keep it as a postit on my monitor, however. I'd like to wait a bit, because I'm running an update on some large chunks of code, and I'm unsure whether or not I'll be dipping into mob/say code with it.

But, the next project I'm tracking will involve preferences, so setting up this could go along with it. I'll make a discussion thread once I get around to it.

On topic: I really like the idea of this custom item (simple, nothing special mechanics wise, encourages roleplay), and will get it done (won't be using GOON sprite, however, because GOON is closed and I don't want to fuck with the potentially issues using that sprite may cause).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...