Station Management

Zundy

Who's job is it on station to ensure folks are adding value to nanotrasen, that is to say, whe's job is it to make sure people are making money for the company?

As it stands, pretty much every round the station would actually be operating at a massive loss, who monitors this? The captain? The IAA's?

EDIT: This might be more of a normal question so feel free to move it if need be, sorry!

First and foremost, the Captain. Who is in charge of coordinating the entire station and acting as NanoTrasen's Chief Representative onboard, in the absence of any higher presence such as Duty Officers.

Next, Heads of Staff are responsible for ensuring all of their departments are operating efficiently enough to support the Research Department's research and development.

Lastly, we have Internal Affairs, who rather than being at the bottom of the ladder, is more to the side. Their entire purpose is ensuring the productivity of the station, and reporting to Central if it lacks.

Well, how does the station make money?

I was under the impression Aurora wasn't there to produce plasma, but was rather able to harvest its own plasma to use for various research. The main revenue the station would share would be in the form of patents, research, etc. Sadly, there is no way to quantify this in-game. :(

Basically, see the station as something NT pumps money into as an investment in exchange for great plasma research :)

Well, how does the station make money?

I was under the impression Aurora wasn't there to produce plasma, but was rather able to harvest its own plasma to use for various research. The main revenue the station would share would be in the form of patents, research, etc. Sadly, there is no way to quantify this in-game. :(

Basically, see the station as something NT pumps money into as an investment in exchange for great plasma research :)

The station is expected to mine plasma and ship it to Central as well, that is why you get extra points in exchange for plasma filled crated.

The station is a Research and Mining installation.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

The Aurora's primary goal isn't to make money, but making money is a goal. The Head of Personnel and Captain are supposed to have it as a goal in their minds.

The Head of Personnel especially, since they have access to the station accounts, and authority over the moneymaking civilian department.

Thanks for the answers guys. Would it be fair to say that IAAs would be monitoring the station to ensure it's actually adding value (producing use able raw materials and shipping them off to central at the very least, creating new technologies and shipping them off to central at best)?

As it stands the station which largely be a drain on NT what with nothing going on followed by a retooling of the station due to shenanigans. Most departments actually have a way to add value but no one seems to do it.

Food stuffs could be produced, raw/processed materials from mining, medical research/products, technologies, weapons etc. All these could be produced and shipped off to central for the mega-credz.

I just feel that NT would have more of a "that's great but when do we see the money" attitude with the station with the HoP and Captain getting the brunt of that pressure.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
Thanks for the answers guys. Would it be fair to say that IAAs would be monitoring the station to ensure it's actually adding value (producing use able raw materials and shipping them off to central at the very least, creating new technologies and shipping them off to central at best)?

As it stands the station which largely be a drain on NT what with nothing going on followed by a retooling of the station due to shenanigans. Most departments actually have a way to add value but no one seems to do it.

Food stuffs could be produced, raw/processed materials from mining, medical research/products, technologies, weapons etc. All these could be produced and shipped off to central for the mega-credz.

I just feel that NT would have more of a "that's great but when do we see the money" attitude with the station with the HoP and Captain getting the brunt of that pressure.

Finances and budgets will be more important and in focus once Skull finishes coding, testing, and implementing our impending economy system! :D

In my opinion the IAA has one primary task, to ensure regulation is met on all levels. They make sure paperwork is being handled, records are in order, arrests are valid, and that standard operating procedure is being handled. The civillian sector, cargo, and command should be worried about building a "funding" pool for the station, and that's how I view the cargo point system. I'd like it if the cargo points were a money value pulled from the cargo account, we could then easily charge for cargo items and in emergencies a head of staff could make a deposit into cargo accounts from the station account to be sure enough money is there for the situation. In non-emergencies, the system is designed in a way that should only show an increase in profits. At the end of the day, the money in the various accounts belongs to NanoTrasen anyways.

Perhaps I'll make a thread suggesting proper "registers" since the ETFPOS is used so rarely that it confuses most people. I've "stolen" money because most people don't realize they are paying me instead of the cargo account.