Player Complaint: XanderDox and his entourage of Heads

Guest 1138

BYOND Key: OneOneThreeEight

Player Byond Key: XanderDox

Reason for complaint:

• Incompetence in a command role

I'll make this short. Every time I have encountered one of Xander's heads in action as a head, I've constantly had to go through painstaking rituals in order to even communicate with them. They're constantly geared in this mindset of 'I'm always right, everyone else is in the wrong, and they had better stay out of the way even if it means the death and general unproductiveness of every other department.' It is absolute torture to have to negotiate issues with Xander, or his characters. They will do everything within their power to completely obstruct the efforts of another head to actually get shit done.

• Consistent Engaging With Other Heads

Applies to the point above. On command channel, Xander will always engage in arguments for his own enjoyment. I absolutely hate it when he starts completely irrelevant or stupid arguments and then continue to keep going. He does this in OOC, too. He doesn't know how to shut his mouth, or accept when he's wrong. This leads to a very toxic experience and atmosphere, having a jerk and an incompetent jerkwad to add onto that. I don't enjoy people who RP complete wastes of space and time. Xander's characters are constant dampers on the attempted work ethic of other heads.

Unfortunately, the issues I often have with Xander as command staff go on and on. He didn't used to be this petulant before he got whitelisted.

Haven't noticed much. Haven't been playing much. Do have to second this by adding that a lot of people have complained to me about Xander's heads, and while I didn't get any specific info (I asked for it to be added to notes), I /am/ expecting to see some of it here.

One personal complaint: I noticed a few days ago that Xander's HoS was arguing in Gutter (?) over comms with someone else, even after being told by several people, including his own officers, to stop - very unbecoming of a head, given they're there to enforce corporate regulations, not break them in an awkward manner over poor judgement calls.

I'm surprised this complaint has slipped under the radar so easily.

Here's my take on this, and I'll get right down to it.

During my stay on the server, Xander's characters have been the target of many an informal complaint. Now, I say informal because, although everyone likes to complain, nobody will actually do anything about it.

As a member of the staff, I'd like to abstain from recommending a course of action regarding this complaint, and only bring up relevant information that I've observed over the past few months.

I have had to play as a head with Xander more times than I can remember. He has a tendency to make irrational decisions on what I'm assuming to be impulse. An event that I can remember is when I was my CMO (Senri Ishikawa) during a nuke round; Xander was his head of personnel character. So, we get reports of a hull breach. Xander's character immediately bypasses any negotiation over assuming the Acting Captainship even though we were in the same room. The issue here is that, if an emergency situation arises, ALL heads of staff are to convene via some means to decide who takes possession of the spare ID. When confronted with the issue, he falsely claimed that the HoP is always next in line in Chain of Command. Now, momentary dispute, I won't get on him too much for it. What really gets me is what occurred afterwards.

After wrongly assuming the Acting Captain position, he proceeded to barricade himself in the Bridge, and 'ordered' me to stay inside. After pointing out that he had no actual jurisdiction in the matter, I proceeded to leave the Bridge to actually coordinate my medical staff, and was threatened with a demotion or some other asinine and empty threat over the command channel. From what I recall, he attempted to coordinate what security we had, although poorly.

Now, here's my own issue. When I log into Aurora, I want to have a good time, as I'm sure everyone else does. I don't want to babysit other characters because they're incompetent as a head of staff, but I can accept that it'll happen because nobody's perfect, myself included. But when I see Xander's characters in a head of staff position, I narrow myself down to two options. One, play in a different department and avoid contact if at all possible. Or two, I just ghost and do modmin things. It's really sad, in my opinion, when somebody can have this effect on my experience. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who feels this way.

• 2 weeks later...

This complaint and the following comments perfectly explain why I left the server, I was ruining other's experiences completely, and I wasn't happy about that.

Haven't noticed much. Haven't been playing much. Do have to second this by adding that a lot of people have complained to me about Xander's heads, and while I didn't get any specific info (I asked for it to be added to notes), I /am/ expecting to see some of it here.

One personal complaint: I noticed a few days ago that Xander's HoS was arguing in Gutter (?) over comms with someone else, even after being told by several people, including his own officers, to stop - very unbecoming of a head, given they're there to enforce corporate regulations, not break them in an awkward manner over poor judgement calls.

On this note, I don't have a character that speaks gutter. My medical workers speak sign language, and my Head of Security speaks tradeband.

However, I don't argue over comms in other languages, and am a frequent enforcer of the, don't use other languages expectation.

This complaint is completely valid, honestly, I'm surprised I haven't been revoked of my whitelist (and action I support in full) . But at this point, doesn't matter because I don't play anymore. I took action against myself due to the lack of staff action against me..

Also, on the note of CMO Senri, I ordered him to stay in the Bridge because there were hostiles onboard, and he proceeded to leave the Bridge, and get his head shot off in his lobby. Just a note.

Hey, now. We all fuck up once or twice and "ruin" rounds for people. There isn't a single person on this server that hasn't "ruined" a round for someone. Everybody wants everything to go things their way. The magic in it, is that it never does. It's an equal balance of chaos and fuckery that everyone gets over and enjoys thoroughly.

As long as you improve upon your mistakes and not make them over and over again, that's good. It's not necessary to leave unless SS13 is actively ruining your life

The odd thing is that I've never seen you play a subordinate role. You took a dive into a head position, were met by critique and scrutiny, and instead of simply taking one step back and reassessing, you up and exited.

Here's a story, I've done exactly the same mistake in the past. Been chewed out to fuck because of it. But I took a step back, watched, looked and talked, and then slowly reengaged. Unfortunately I did this too late, and still elected to hang up my hat.

Just, instead of trying to soldier on through, take a step back, play a subordinate role for a change. Don't try to take command unless necessary, and just look and listen. After that, try to slowly ease yourself back in.

• 1 month later...