Influx of deaths in Toxins

Mofo1995

Aurora has been getting tons of new people, and one trend I've really noticed are people who join as bald scientists, drag plasma into toxins research, and immediately flub up and gass themselves. They also usually ignore me on comms in the process, but not always.

I remember Killerhurtz's Skrell RD had some excellent rules in a safety briefing for toxins researchers (and I'd love if he could put them here), but how can we cut down on all these dead newfriends? Could we come up with rules for Toxins that could be standard for it and clearly put up on a wiki or something? I'm getting tired of all the toxins leaks and I'm going to start giving safety briefings to everyone.

See, the funny thing is, when we were given said safety briefing from Killerhurtz some months ago, we memed like that, and then Bling gassed himself. But still the rules were actually pretty good. They went something like...

1. Never open a manual release valve unless a tank is in the canister.

2. Always supervise your burn chamber until the fire goes out.

3. Do all bomb assembly at the toxin's launch area.

4. Announce all bomb tests ahead of time on public comms.

And then there were two suggestions [That researchers should follow but were not mandated to.]

Morkai ALWAYS gives a strict safety debrief for any scientist he's not familiar with, over PDA, that they are required to respond to to be allowed into Toxins. He'll go as far as to have Toxins Storage and the mix room bolted down until confirmation is given. It's basically the same thing.

Take it slow, take it steady, wear your safety gear, ALWAYS ask if you're uncertain of something, it's not stupid, it'll save your life, and that of everyone else in the department when the plasma leaks out.

I think I'll have to go with Jenn's method and make safety lectures mandatory for unfamiliar researchers. Additionally, I think Shkor'll make biosuits mandatory for them while he's RD to enhance survival rates, since there's now a toximate 3000 that hands them out for free in toxins.

I think I'll have to go with Jenn's method and make safety lectures mandatory for unfamiliar researchers. Additionally, I think Shkor'll make biosuits mandatory for them while he's RD to enhance survival rates, since there's now a toximate 3000 that hands them out for free in toxins.

Always wear your PPE (personal protective equipment). I wish more heads would tell their subordinates off, or even punish them for not wearing the proper protective equipment on the job. I've had coworkers get fired from landscaping jobs for not wearing a filter mask when working with something as simple as silica dust. You'd expect a large corporation like NT to be super strict on that kind thing. Especially where most science and engineering jobs have hazards that aren't just long term health concerns but can immediately kill you.

HAAA my science sense was tingling.

But yes, my four rules were named correctly - the canister, the fire supervision, the bomb safety and the announcement.

The four guidelines were:

-When dealing with gasses, always wear a gas mask.

-When possible, never work alone - always have a second person work with you.

-Never ever EVER bring any source of fire (lighter, welder, tobacco products) into Toxins

-Before assembling a bomb, don internals and put on one of the EOD suits available to you.

Though since then I had seen some dumbassery so I'm in the process of writing a new document

But yes, my four rules were named correctly - the canister, the fire supervision, the bomb safety and the announcement.

-Never ever EVER bring any source of fire (lighter, welder, tobacco products) into Toxins

-Before assembling a bomb, don internals and put on one of the EOD suits available to you.

Though since then I had seen some dumbassery so I'm in the process of writing a new document

Please make this a thing,I'm sick of having baldies ruine a round for me when I play science because they turn one fucking valve.

Please make this a thing,I'm sick of having baldies ruine a round for me when I play science because they turn one fucking valve.

perhaps toxins can have a redesign?

lock the mix tanks behind a door so its a small 3x3 glass walled room with emergency doors around the whole thing. it only keeps someone from fucking up at initial mix stage, but if someone is going to turn a valve its going to be here

Or maybe make it so the doors automatically bolt themselves in addition to the emergency shutters, that way they can't crowbar their way out. It'd turn the place into a coffin if they don't wear suits with oxygen tanks, but it should be standard procedure to wear standardized protective gear in such a high mortality job, and so that'd be on them. Otherwise, the huge air scrubbers can just sort out the toxins, and then boom, they can waltz out A-okay rather than gassed to death

EDIT: That is, A-okay other than having one very pissed off boss at the loss of a whole toxins canister and probably administrative action.

Or maybe make it so the doors automatically bolt themselves in addition to the emergency shutters, that way they can't crowbar their way out. It'd turn the place into a coffin if they don't wear suits with oxygen tanks, but it should be standard procedure to wear standardized protective gear in such a high mortality job, and so that'd be on them. Otherwise, the huge air scrubbers can just sort out the toxins, and then boom, they can waltz out A-okay rather than gassed to death

EDIT: That is, A-okay other than having one very pissed off boss at the loss of a whole toxins canister and probably administrative action.

exactly

obviously have the huge scrubber, i THINK atmos can handle the load from that if properly configured. Haven't really looked at the atmos efficiency in new code. If they're properly protected they wont die, if they're not they get what would happen anyway, AND it doesn't affect anyone else in the department.