Tenenza crashed the server again.

Tenenza

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so. This was my long week at work, and we had a decent load of stuff to do. So I neglected to check the Discord after waking up. I also managed to forget my phone home for the entire day, so I also couldn't check shit while on my lunch break or while coming home. So, shit circumstances squared, yaay. I usually don't go off the radar for this long without notifying folks. Since the phone was at home for 12 hours, GG.

As for admins touching buttons. Deal with it. On a less aggressive note, what happened is that the entire OS shat itself. I am doubtful that Tenenza managed to cause any of it. DreamDaemon instability, aye, maybe. But I am doubtful that DreamDaemon could clog up the entire server machine enough for it to hard crash like this.

Last point, the server itself. First off, understand that we are talking about a full virtual machine that also houses logs and other fun things. Though some operations might be restricted through user accounts (Would have to look that one up), I'd still consider it on par with giving someone full Root access. That is to say: they can do whatever they want. Lately I have been toying around with the idea of server maintainers. But since I also have other administrative things running alongside this, coupled with work and getting my shit sorted with the Defence Forces, this idea has been in the backburner. I did have a few candidates, however. Maybe in a few weeks.

Also, protip to everyone saying that this should have been tested on a private server: if DreamDaemon indeed somehow caused the OS to hardcrash, then testing this would have either: resulted in nothing, or crashed the server anyways. The first one would have happened if the private test server was hosted on the admin's local machine. Since no one runs server software (OS-wise) on their personal machines, chances are, this crash wouldn't have been evident due to differences in how the systems are set up. The second one would have happened if we had used a second session of DreamDaemon running on the same box. Since the crash was OS wide, both servers would have been kill, despite the fact that the testing was done on a "private" server. So again, if this crash was caused by an admin, which I doubt, as I have never seen DD kill an entire OS (even with the abuse YeahChris threw at it), it would have been unforeseeable.

The only thing that sucked was that we weren't able to restart the server until now.