Mechatronic Engineering Questions

What is the lore behind mechatronic engineering? Which species build mechs? What kinds of mechs are there other than the ones we have in code? How new is the field of mechatronic engineering? How prevalent is it in warfare? Are there chromehounds? Which corporations excel at mechatronics? How common are mechs in varying regions of space? Tell me all about mechatronic engineering, I think our wiki is a bit lacking on something which has widespread implications and possibly importance on our universe.

1230494-chromehounds.jpg

Note that mechatronic engineering is actually a real life profession. And it's not all about mechs, though mechs are the logical progression of it.

Anyways. My little snowflake nation that I keep as a safe-haven from lore uses mechs in active service. Specifically, designs similar to the battletech universe (as they're the most feasible IMO). They're primarily meant for relatively open terrain, such as desert wastelands and large ruined cities. With infantry support backing them up. Mechs like that, without support, would be relatively vulnerable to smaller, more mobile weaponry. Specially in urban environments, where the enemy has more vertical space to hide, and the mechs don't have room to maneuver properly.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Mechs are used in orbital and deep space environments (like on space stations) because as you are no doubt aware, driving an ambulance or battle tank is extremely difficult in zero-G environments.

Mech's are basically giant hardsuits.

RIPLEY - Industrial mech used for mining, hauling, cargo moving, and generally everything it was used for in Aliens. It's common, and relatively cheap for a mech (given how easy it is for robotics to pump one out).

ODYSSEUS - Medical mech with super ninja speed. Driving an ambulance through depressurized and zero-g environments is very difficult and an engineering obstacle our major hospitals have yet to design around. This suit is the ambulance for space because it can sprint through any sort of disaster situation with the victims safely stored inside the sleepers instead of having to use rollerbeds to bring someone across a hallway flooded with burning plasma.

GYGAX - Security mech with average ninja speed. It's like an entire SWAT team condensed into one. Most cities have 1 - 2 sitting around.

DURAND - Combat mech with heavy armour. These are very rare, and they (and other admin-spawned combat mechs or deathsquad stuff) are used as battle tanks in space. They're used by military, mercenary groups, etc.

HONK - Admin tool for breaking up eRP. IDK, it's used in extreme circus acts.

Humanity and Skrell built mechs and use them primarily. The Unathi are trying to design their own and they've succeeded in more or less copying Durands, but they haven't yet fielded anything specific until we ever get a unathi mech coded in. So far it's humanity and skrell, with humanity being predominately the ones that use them.

This suit is the ambulance for space because it can sprint through any sort of disaster situation

You know, sprinting requires contact with a solid surface

The Odysseus should really have a built in jetpack imo. it's not actually useful for EVA as is

This suit is the ambulance for space because it can sprint through any sort of disaster situation

The Odysseus should really have a built in jetpack imo. it's not actually useful for EVA as is

I think he means some sort of magboots or otherwise ability to connect itself with the ground in a zero-g environment. The fact that it has powerful arms and hands makes it able to grip the sides of things to pull itself along the edges of asteroids/space stations/ships. I think a jetpack would also make it very nice if it were omnidirectional in order to properly prevent it from spinning out of control, but I'm assuming the current design makes this unfeasible. Plus there are likely coding concerns preventing it. All in all, better for space than an ambulance.

Thanks for the answers JB, I'm glad to have them. The only thing really lacking is the history, but as Skull pointed out, it's already a profession with mechs being the future of it. I like the ideas presented of them in combat situations, or even riot/crowd control, and I'm glad that we didn't take the absurd anime approach.

Guest Complete Garbage

I think he means some sort of magboots or otherwise ability to connect itself with the ground in a zero-g environment. The fact that it has powerful arms and hands makes it able to grip the sides of things to pull itself along the edges of asteroids/space stations/ships. I think a jetpack would also make it very nice if it were omnidirectional in order to properly prevent it from spinning out of control, but I'm assuming the current design makes this unfeasible. Plus there are likely coding concerns preventing it. All in all, better for space than an ambulance.

Thanks for the answers JB, I'm glad to have them. The only thing really lacking is the history, but as Skull pointed out, it's already a profession with mechs being the future of it. I like the ideas presented of them in combat situations, or even riot/crowd control, and I'm glad that we didn't take the absurd anime approach.

(Sorry for the long quote, I'm on my phone so snipping it would be annoying af)

As for the coding concerns preventing the Odyseuss from jetpacking; I don't think it would be too hard to move the code that lets the hoverpod do that over to the Odyseuss, and make it faster.