CakeIsOssim's Chief Engineer Whitelist Application

BYOND key:

CakeIsOssim

Character names:

Milton Schrader, Shaun Redd, Erik Patton, Jason Clarke

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:

About a month

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:

I'd like a little bit of change in the way I play engineering.

Why did you come to Aurora?:

I came to Aurora for the Heavy RP setting, and I stayed for the same reason.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:

Yes.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

I think roleplay is a chance to create a story about a character that you yourself have formed. It's a chance for you to explore other stories, as well. It's almost as if roleplaying is writing a book, and every character is a book of their own. In order to understand both their stories and your own, you have to read them start to finish. Roleplaying is just an interesting and fun activity that I love to partake in.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

The purpose of a Head of Staff is to bring and maintain order to their respective department, and possibly other departments. A chaotic department is an inefficient department, and an inefficient department is a useless department.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Whitelisted players should be setting an example for other players so other players know how they should act and behave. If someone higher on the ladder acts professional and mature, it is likely that most of the people below them will act the same way.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:

Milton Schrader

Character age:

38 Years.

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Milton grew up in Mons City, a city atop Olympus Mons on the planet Mars. He attended public school for the first years of his life, and after graduation, attended basic engineering school. After graduation from the basics, and he decided to take his knowledge in engineering further, and took up advanced engineering classes. However slightly lacking in knowledge of atmospherics, he excels in knowledge of engineering and construction. He is trained in the use of hardsuits and extra-vehicular activity. Milton finally finished all of his schooling when he turned twenty-three. As much as Milton loved his home planet, he decided that he needed a little more 'action.' He signed up with the Sol Alliance, and after a few months of basic training, received an assignment as a damage control engineer aboard a Sol Alliance warship. He remained with the Sol Alliance aboard that warship for five years, where he learned several new things. He learned how to quickly repair things like hull breaches during emergencies, he learned things like discipline and how to follow the chain of command. After Milton resigned, he returned to his home planet and took up contracting work around Mons City, as well as some fire departments.

He stayed on Mars for four years working as a contractor and occasional firefighter. He decided to put his knowledge to more use without joining the military, and started searching for private corporations. He eventually found NanoTrasen, and submitted an application. NanoTrasen contacted Milton fairly soon after he submitted an application, and they informed him that it had been accepted. He was shuttled off to Tau Ceti, and from there, he received his first full time shift aboard a NanoTrasen space dock. Here, he maintained and repaired shuttles and other vessels for two years. NanoTrasen transferred him to a mining station as a part time job until another full time job became available. He helped out the miners occasionally, learning how to operate things like Ripley's and how to smelt ores. After about a year aboard the mining station, he was transferred yet again. This time, to a research outpost. Nothing occurred that would be out of the ordinary for Milton for the next three years. He befriended the chief engineer and a few other colleagues aboard this station, whom he spent most of the time with. However, it was a sad goodbye when Milton was contacted by NanoTrasen for yet another reassignment. This one was to another research outpost, the NSS Aurora. He was designated a full time shift as a station engineer, and has been active aboard the station for a little over a month.

What do you like about this character?:

Milton likes formalities. Always calling his superiors by 'chief' or by ma'am or sir.

What do you dislike about this character?:

Milton sometimes forgets things. (Like insulated gloves...)

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff? (Please note that Head characters must be over 30, unless given special clearance):

I believe Milton is fit to lead the Engineering department.

Why?:

However lazy, Milton is a hard worker. He never leaves a job unfinished. He also likes to teach people new things. He's always there for the engineering apprentices to teach them the ins and outs of engineering, maintenance, and construction. There has also been more than one occasion where Milton has taken the impromptu role of leader, and successfully saved the lives of all of his engineering coworkers, and then some.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

On a scale of one to ten? I would rate my own roleplaying a seven. I mess up sometimes, but usually it's little stuff that doesn't make a huge difference. There's also always more room for improvement.

Extra notes:

Edited by Guest
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm here because I have a particular concern with your character's biography.

Character age:

32 Years.

... Finally, he received his full time assignment as a Station Engineer aboard the NSS Aurora on his thirty-second birthday.

Now, I wanted to state that I think that the character you plan on using requires one, very important change. It appears that the character is exactly 32 years old, but didn't start working as an engineer for NT until he was 32 years old. Along with the requirement of being at least 30 years of age, the character is required to have worked a minimum of five years before being considered for a head of staff position of said department. You could set his character age to 37, and keep that he didn't get his job in NT until he was 32; thus solving the issue.

This one is just a minor suggestion at most.

BYOND key:

The purpose of a Head of Staff is to bring and maintain order to their respective department, and possibly other departments. A chaotic department is an ineficient department, and an inefficient department is a useless department.

From this, it seems like you're probably gonna be a hardass Head of staff. That's 100% fine, but do remember that you have an -extra- responsibility to make an environment conducive to roleplay as a Head, Don't be a dick to be a dick. Be a dick for a real reason, and have that reason invested into your character.

I will also add that because your application was relatively short, and none of you really seem to know your characters well, I'd suggest you get one or two people to come and give you feedback on the application - simply so we can have a better idea of what's going on.

You're free to advertise your app in OOC, and request feedback from people you have played with.

Edit: Made a bunch of changes. Mainly retconning the silly, basic, almost-non-existant background and replaced with a hopefully more interesting and in-depth one. The last was really lacking in origin and detail, and I thought for a while and finally came up with one that makes sense and could stick with Milton.

Hello! I'm here because I have a particular concern with your character's biography.

Character age:

32 Years.

... Finally, he received his full time assignment as a Station Engineer aboard the NSS Aurora on his thirty-second birthday.

Now, I wanted to state that I think that the character you plan on using requires one, very important change. It appears that the character is exactly 32 years old, but didn't start working as an engineer for NT until he was 32 years old. Along with the requirement of being at least 30 years of age, the character is required to have worked a minimum of five years before being considered for a head of staff position of said department. You could set his character age to 37, and keep that he didn't get his job in NT until he was 32; thus solving the issue.

By retconning and rewriting the backstory of Milton, I hopefully solved this issue.

This one is just a minor suggestion at most.

BYOND key:

The purpose of a Head of Staff is to bring and maintain order to their respective department, and possibly other departments. A chaotic department is an ineficient department, and an inefficient department is a useless department.

From this, it seems like you're probably gonna be a hardass Head of staff. That's 100% fine, but do remember that you have an -extra- responsibility to make an environment conducive to roleplay as a Head, Don't be a dick to be a dick. Be a dick for a real reason, and have that reason invested into your character.

The plan was never to be an ass just to be an ass. However, the plan was to enforce rules and regulations when they should be enforced.

I will also add that because your application was relatively short, and none of you really seem to know your characters well, I'd suggest you get one or two people to come and give you feedback on the application - simply so we can have a better idea of what's going on.

You're free to advertise your app in OOC, and request feedback from people you have played with.

Thank you, I will definitely do that. And as for the 'not knowing my character too well,' I have hopefully solved this be re-writing almost his entire background with something less basic and more in-depth.

• 2 weeks later...