Jackboot Mapping app

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Ckey/BYOND Username: Jackboot

Position Being Applied For (coder, mapper, spriter): Mapper

Past Experiences/Knowledge: On a (now defunct) server a friend hosted that was up for extended periods of time (days, or even weeks without a shuttle call) I'd build around the station, adding new additions. My limited knowledge in atmospherics means that things I built would have atmospherics consisting of ~10 oxygen tanks spawned in and having their valves released, but I enjoyed building stuff and making areas for people to explore. I have experience in the basic build commands and spawning in furniture, but haven't touched Dreamseeker (I don't even know how any of that works.)

Examples of Past Work:

Small mining outpost at the asteroid. Built with the build commands, and going in as my character to build things not easily built with the build commands. I took the screencaps in a progression, so there are noticeable addons in the later pictures. The server was recently shut down for an indefinite amount of time since the host's computer is having issues, and this is the only project I took photos of.

http://i.imgur.com/pPiKw88.png

http://i.imgur.com/TtFW4yJ.png

This is the final product, shortly before the server was restarted.

http://i.imgur.com/XyxlGd0.png

Preferred Mode of Communication (Skype, Steam, etc.): Skype.

Additional Comments:

I'm already on the lore team, and am pretty invested in the server. I remember enjoying building, so thought I could see how well I do making actual, permanent z-levels for people to wander around in.

You say you haven't worked with Dreammaker before?

I would love another pair of hands on the team to help out, but I personally would suggest that whilst the app is being processed, grabbing the bay mapping guide and just having a little play around in DM and get a feel for how it works and fiddling with variables.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
You say you haven't worked with Dreammaker before?

I would love another pair of hands on the team to help out, but I personally would suggest that whilst the app is being processed, grabbing the bay mapping guide and just having a little play around in DM and get a feel for how it works and fiddling with variables.

I'll do that in my free time tomorrow evening, if possible. I had planned on it as soon as I figure out where to get started, but with the advent of christmas eve it might take awhile to get a handle on the most basic features. :?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

With Skull's help I got Dreammaker working. I worked on a little outpost in Z-6; it was extremely ugly, but I at least know /how/ to build walls and floors, and I think I have the turfs down.

R0OdwwN.png

I just gotta learn where everything is, now, but I'll get there. What sort of help would you want on the map? I currently have a few ideas - both for new Z-levels, and station improvements in general. (Mostly adding blast doors to medical or virology for quarantines or moving the bridge blast doors down so they actually secure the bridge and not leave the conference room wide open.)

• 3 weeks later...
With Skull's help I got Dreammaker working. I worked on a little outpost in Z-6; it was extremely ugly, but I at least know /how/ to build walls and floors, and I think I have the turfs down.

R0OdwwN.png

I just gotta learn where everything is, now, but I'll get there. What sort of help would you want on the map? I currently have a few ideas - both for new Z-levels, and station improvements in general. (Mostly adding blast doors to medical or virology for quarantines or moving the bridge blast doors down so they actually secure the bridge and not leave the conference room wide open.)

Don't leave it completely sealed off. Every server has designed their bridge in a way that, even if locked down, it's still accessible through ID-locked doors. This is a balance thing.

The bridge is plenty secure as it is now. Anyone attempting a serious assault has to force their way through a bottleneck at the meeting room. You could easily keep them at bay here, shooting them through the glass airlock(s) with laser weaponry, especially if they had to hack their way through each airlock and get into the helm of the bridge.