Offical unoffical cybernetics megathread

Guest 1138

So, like, everyone hates genetics. Almost everyone.

Instead of just deleting it from the game entirely, why not create a medical science in its place that encourages helpfulness as a whole?

So, yeah, pitch ideas for optimal cybernetic implants for any body part. Please be serious to some respect, I don't wanna ask people to delete your post.

Go.

One thread per suggestion. Mixing multiple ideas into one thread actulally makes managing this forum or deciding what to add more difficult to manage

This applies here too. Mega threads are hard to manage, I don't even like using the one for the bug reports.

I'm actually a little confused as to the point of the thread, cybernetic implants? Where did these come from?

So, when I read this last night I thought it was an awesome idea. Because lets face it, pretty much anything is better than the current way of getting powers with genetics (which is essentially useless 'cause of rules, and rightfully so). But here's the thing, half the crew seems to have cybernetics just 'cause it's an option. And, perhaps, 'cause there's a slight advantage from cybernetics being easier to repair, but it's not much of an advantage given all the disadvantages.

So while tool arms and compartment legs and speed legs and strength arms and nightvision eyes and wired reflexes and so on are cool... this isn't supposed to be Shadowrun Station, and roboticists are not supposed to be street samurai any more than geneticists are supposed to be psi-hulks.

One thread per suggestion. Mixing multiple ideas into one thread actulally makes managing this forum or deciding what to add more difficult to manage

This applies here too. Mega threads are hard to manage, I don't even like using the one for the bug reports.

I'm actually a little confused as to the point of the thread, cybernetic implants? Where did these come from?

I plan on making a more centralized thread for a medical science to replace genetics altogether. Maybe.

I just need some ideas on the amount of potential implants for one bodypart.

Cybernetics would fall into the Roboticists jurisdiction, not the Geneticists. I'm all down for expanding on the Roboticists repertoire, but this thread seems geared toward tweaking Geneticists.

For the Geneticist, you just need to remove the abusive powers, like Hulk and Telekinesis, and instead allow you to tweak pretty much every other statistic associated with a character on an individual scale, but make each change balanced. Genetics shouldn't be about creating Superpowers, but rather about creating 'freaks of nature' that would either be better or worse than a baseline human depending on the situation. I've not been able to figure out Genetics myself yet, so I don't actually know how the mechanics could be adapted. Maybe there's already a game version with an appropriate Genetics system we can, ah... merge?

I mean things like increased resistance to heat/cold, at the cost of being much slower, or on the flip side increased speed at the cost of being more vulnerable. Heightened regeneration, but with the dionae weakness of requiring light sources and a heightened metabolism requiring you to chuff more food more often. X-Ray vision might still be acceptable, but it should add a disorientating filter similar to the new Mesons. Things like that.

Cybernetics would fall into the Roboticists jurisdiction, not the Geneticists. I'm all down for expanding on the Roboticists repertoire, but this thread seems geared toward tweaking Geneticists.

For the Geneticist, you just need to remove the abusive powers, like Hulk and Telekinesis, and instead allow you to tweak pretty much every other statistic associated with a character on an individual scale, but make each change balanced. Genetics shouldn't be about creating Superpowers, but rather about creating 'freaks of nature' that would either be better or worse than a baseline human depending on the situation. I've not been able to figure out Genetics myself yet, so I don't actually know how the mechanics could be adapted. Maybe there's already a game version with an appropriate Genetics system we can, ah... merge?

I mean things like increased resistance to heat/cold, at the cost of being much slower, or on the flip side increased speed at the cost of being more vulnerable. Heightened regeneration, but with the dionae weakness of requiring light sources and a heightened metabolism requiring you to chuff more food more often. X-Ray vision might still be acceptable, but it should add a disorientating filter similar to the new Mesons. Things like that.

Yes, I like that. And I have an idea for how it could be (more) easily implemented. If each power required multiple SE's of sufficient level, and comes with some random disadvantages unless certain other SE's are above a certain level. And for the really sick superpowers (like TK and hulk), have serious risks/downsides and lots of SE's involved. Like, without certain extra enzimes, psychic powers would likely cause brain damage (or even physical side effects... imagine a telekinetic accidentally breaking their own bones), either just for having it, or for using it. And hulks... well, shit. Hulks should have a serious chance of going apeshit berzerk, essentially becoming a mob. Also, blowing up in a horrable meatsplosion after however long makes a good danger.

With delays, a little complexity, and some very real danger, genetics could be actually useable. Though not self-testing, that's silly. But getting an assistant or two to sign a concent form, and doing thorough tests on protohumans first, could allow genetics to be actually cool.

Also, different enzimes for different species. Which means most of the research would be done on human enzimes, but that makes sense since NT is a human corporation.

A way to fix EMP'd mechanical eyes and hearts. Or maybe just eyes.

For reference, this can be done already. Just do typical organ surgery and utilize NanoPaste instead of an Advanced Trauma Kit. I believe a screwdriver functions as a ghetto nanopaste in this case but I may be mistaken.