Kitchen: Food warming cabinet.

Everyone who has worked in the kitchens of Aurora knows that space is at a premium. Everyone there has struggled with finding that one pixel of free space just so you can fit another dish on the counter and cursed loudly as they now have blocked another dish from sight.

Everyone has at some time prepared ingredients ready to be cooked and been heartbroken over the fact that the "Smartfridge smartly refuses this item".

No longer, I say.

I humbly suggest that we add a heating/chilling cabinet to the kitchen which will not only keep ingredients cold but also already prepared dishes hot so that they are ready to be served to hungry customers.

Even the bar has their drink showcase where they can insert already mixed drinks to be served, so let the kitchen have somewhere to store the different foodstuffs and ingredients that are ready to be utilized or served.

Now, you are asking me, why don't we simply modify the Smartfridge to deal with this?

It's because the Smartfridge can be accessed from the hallway and foodstuffs can both be stolen and/or poisoned. It's also unhygienic.

heating and cooling cabinets sound like microwave and fridge (which we already have) unless you mean something different but then i'd ask you to clarify.

And yes, smartfridge is access locked. You can look but you can't touch. Storing it into the smartfridge is safer than storing it on the counter as people can come up to the counter, look into the fridge, ask for a certain dish and have you dispense it for them.

heating and cooling cabinets sound like microwave and fridge (which we already have) unless you mean something different but then i'd ask you to clarify.

And yes, smartfridge is access locked. You can look but you can't touch. Storing it into the smartfridge is safer than storing it on the counter as people can come up to the counter, look into the fridge, ask for a certain dish and have you dispense it for them.

A heating cabinet is a cabinet to keep food warm.

zoom_Victor_Banquetline_BL100H2_-_Mobile_heated_holding_cabinet.jpg

Cabinets-Heating-Holding.jpg

You keep food in there which is ready to be either plated or served.

As it is, the smartfridge refuses anything which isn't grown in the garden, in addition to that it's an actual fridge and not a heating cabinet.

Then again, I suppose I wouldn't object if the fridge used spess technology in order to keep things both warm and cold as long as we get somewhere to store everything.

You could just stop being gross and leaving food out and instead - cook to order.

A la carte? On a space station with hungry people showing up whenever?

I'm frankly surprised we don't have buffet trays to set out.

Edit: Which is another thing you could replace the counter with.

Added a variant of the smartfridge called the smartheater that allows to store prepared food inside of it.

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/4633

Still needs sprites and still needs to be mapped in.

If someone has sprites for it, contact me on discord

Before you complete this, could you make it so food that is left out gradually loses nutriment and gets the adjective 'Cold' on the front of it? This would make using a heating cabinet... Worth it beyond just RP.

Before you complete this, could you make it so food that is left out gradually loses nutriment and gets the adjective 'Cold' on the front of it? This would make using a heating cabinet... Worth it beyond just RP.

We already have a similar system on donk pockets, so I have no issue with expanding it to All cooked food.

That is, my opinion of it as a player who tends to be a chef.

I actually have current plans to implement food temperature coding and staleness. I'll basically just have to rewrite the code if you do this.

• 8 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic