[Accepted] McKinney's Head of Staff Whitelist Application

BYOND key: McKinney

Character names: Andie Metzger, Carl Anderson, Mr. Flibble, Fibo

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Since I came back, about a month/month and a halfish, played nearly every day.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: So I can take the research director position that is usually vacant when I play Carl. I recently showed a new player the ins and outs of robotics and it was rather fun. I would like to help players who are new to science and I want Carl Anderson to take the next step in his career.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I played on here a loooong time ago back when it was still the exodus. Before that, I played on Hypatia and I absolutely love the roleplay I have had on both stations.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: I have, it would be rather silly If I didn’t right?

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay, in my own words, is when you create a character for a world and ‘become’ that character. Now, my definition isn’t a large one so I will elaborate. You create a character to fit in with the lore and setting of the world, give them quirks, a personality, and then play as them, acting how they act and taking actions they would. It should be about staying in character and experiencing a new, unique and different world or, meeting new people. It could also be just continuing to exist in that world you’ve established them in.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

In my eyes, the head of staff’s purpose changes from department to department. But generally overall, they serve as a sort of guide to the newer players or someone they can go to in order to be given a mentor. They also exist to provide order and ensure that the roleplay is kept going and is rather structured. In essence, they provide structure.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

The responsibilities of the whitelisted player is to ensure that newer players are shown the ropes and get good roleplay from being shown the ropes. They are also expected to uphold a somewhat higher standard than a regular player as your position comes with an elevated responsibility. I strive to be welcoming to new players and help them through learning the process of SCIENCE, or you know, robotics too. Thats a cool place. But in all seriousness, I loved learning this game but it was difficult to do so by just guides and when you have someone to ICly help you learn it, really, REALLY helps and I strive to do the same.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Carl Anderson

Character age: 42

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Carl Anderson was born to a rather well off family, his father owning a successful bioengineering firm specializing in the maintenance and installation of mechanical prosthetics. He had an easy life for the most part, but in exchange for the ease of it he was expected to have a good education. His education was paid for by his family though, starting off in a private school then managing to, through hard work, make it to Solis Cognito University. He began his degree in Synthetic Intelligence Theory, wanting to create something that was greater than himself and progress scientific progress. Throughout his time in Solis Coginito University, he had learned to hate the ATLAS supporters who seemed nearly ubiquitous on campus. Where they thought the other species were lesser, Carl instead chose to view them as rivals, wanting to see who was more intelligent or advanced instead of blindly assuming they were. He had planned to, once his degree was finished, to head back and work with his father, expanding their business but, towards the end of his first stint at Solis Cognito, he was swamped with job offers much greater than his family could provide. With a somewhat hesitant stance, he warily accepted the juiciest job offer, at Nanotrasen.

The beginning of his career in Nanotrasen was spent working on improving and helping test and research station bound units such as cyborgs and AI. Finding it hard to simply instruct others to do what he was thinking, as he technically lacked qualifications to maintain or fix the units, he immediately began his next degree, this one in Robotics. Throughout his time in making the AI as efficient and compact as possible and his thesis on these aspects, he earned his First PHD, this one in Synthetic Intelligence Theory. Once his robotics degree was finished, he bounced between stations as a roboticist for a while, furthering his studies, these in Information Technologies when he was interested in the personal AI’s that had sprung up and wished to know how they worked and how well they worked. And now, he finds himself aboard the NSS Aurora as a scientist or roboticist, still furthering his studies, a singular, explicit goal in his mind, Progress.

What do you like about this character?:

I like this character as he dedicated to furthering scientific knowledge and theory. I also love him because every single shift I come on with him I have a specific experiment to attempt in order to give myself and the other scientists something to do instead of the usual RnD grind and waiting for materials. He is focused and dedicated to his colleagues as well.

What do you dislike about this character?:

He is cold and harsh to those he does not know, his personality is much different from my own which is admittedly good and bad. Despite him wanting to view people from other species as Rivals, he tends to view Unathi as annoying, stupid barriers to progress. I don’t like the idea of outright hating people like that but it is interesting for Carl.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

Carl is a tough, experienced character, he is admittedly a very old character of mine from all the way back when I played on Hypatia, he was a research director there where he made sure that the scientists were on task, the roboticists were fulfilling orders and that no one was making bombs for no reason. Carl is extremely loyal to his department, making sure to put the needs of science above his own and wanting to make sure his colleagues are happy, supplied and are able to do what they wish to.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

Well, I have done far too much roleplaying than I ever should, between DND, Dark heresy, roleplays on different games, Pathfinder, some homebrews. I have dozens of characters and I feel as if I am good at staying in character and a competent roleplayer. But I still do have much to learn as every group has its own different little ways of roleplaying.

TL:DR, 7/10

Extra notes:

I would love to be able to bring more of science into my experiments, as a regular scientist usually I can only get one or maybe two in on it. I appreciate any criticism so long as it is constructive. I will also answer any questions if this is not clear enough.

+1 from me.

I've had a lot of interaction with McKinney and can say they have created superb RP experiences just as an assistant on Andie Metzer. Whether it was through PDA messages or interactions during personal events, they've created a memorable experience for me and, I'm sure, for others as well.

+1.

I have a very enjoyable experience roleplaying with their characters; each interaction is memorable and I would think that it would be a great idea to allow them the opportunity to play as heads of staff.

Honestly, I think it'd be quite beneficial for all of us to grant them the opportunity and I have a lot of faith that they will help effect more enjoyable experiences for everyone in the rounds to come, whichever way this goes.

Besides_we_need_more_research_directors_anyways.

+1

I've had nothing but good experiences with McKinney. They're very nice OOCly and I believe they are a valuable member of the community. Their characters are also a pleasure to see and interact with, being some of the only characters I know that actually go out of their way to interact. McKinney would make a fine head whitelister, and having them represent a basis of roleplay wouldn't be so bad at all.

+1. I dream of Carl as RD.

But seriously, normally I'm very against whitelisting anyone with less than 6 months on the server, but Carl is an exception. He's always pushing science in great little projects. His player has a firm understanding of RP and the world lore. He's the best candidate I can think of.