Thundy's Mod App

Basic Information

Byond Account: Thundy

Character Name(s): Charlie Dove, Karis (Dobbs) Straughan, Mel Hanford, Steph Hodge

AI Name(s): EVE, KARLOR - pAI

Preferred means of contact: Skype, KIK, occasionally TS.

Timezone: UTC + 10? Sydney, Australia time.

When are you on Aurora?: Afternoons and evenings and most hours on weekends

Experience

How long have you played SS13?:

Since the end of September

How long have you played on Aurora:

Since the end of September

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?:

Not sure what base it off, however I am learning new things all the time. I plan on making a new character for every department in order that I may learn all of the little bits and pieces that I am currently missing.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?:

Not for ss13, however I was an admin on a hightraffic modded minecraft server named Voids Wrath and that was high stress, long hours, squeeky abusive players, so I feel like I am ready for anything.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:

On bay. Running in the halls. Just kidding. I'd JUST started, first time playing. Wasn't antag. Tried to hack a door. 24 hour ban. Not sure if that counts...

Personality

Why do you play SS13?:

I love to roleplay. I have played DnD and call of Cthulhu games for years and used to build roleplay adventure maps for people in minecraft. When I found SS13, I felt like everything I liked about those games was incorporated into this one. I also really love the community you have here and it is unlike any of the other online communities that I have come across thus far.

Why do you play on Aurora?:

Like I said, the community. After I got banned from Bay, I looked for another heavy roleplay server and Aurora sounded like a pretty cool name so I stayed. I still don't remember who did this but back before there was locks on the airlocks, I accidentally walked out the shuttle one and was sent flying off into spess. One of the admins PM'd me and I told them I was embarrassed and it was an accident. Thinking I would be banned again, I was teleported to a room with Moon bears which slowly devoured my insides. I couldn't help but stay after that, you guys are awesome.

What do moderators do?:

Moderators are overseers. They are the workers behind the scenes, helping things run smoothly and efficiently. They fix issues and tend to problems pertaining to the server, including helping new people and banning people when necessary. All hail the BlueSpess Kitty.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?:

It means hard but rewarding work. It means being communicative and open. It means trying to make the best judgement of the situation at hand that you can and to the very best of your ability.

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

I feel that this server has been especially good to me and that I would like to give back in some way. I do not code or sprite or anything so moderation is really the only way I believe that I can help out. I have also had ideas about custom events and feel that I may have good ideas to input into this team.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:

I try to listen and wait before making my comments, to articulate as well as I am able. I try to judge fairly and honestly and to be sensitive to peoples feelings. I try not to hold a grudge and to resolve issues through peaceful means. I learn quickly. Generally.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:

Anger and stress are okay. If I am either, I usually take a second to calm myself down and figure out the problem as carefully as I can. Insults I can be oversensitive about, to be completely honest, though I always try to make peace with the person and see that the relationship is restored.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

Like Baka and Nano, if I were to be moderator, I would need to be trained. I am a fast learner and try to be careful and considerate when dealing with others and their issues. If I could deal with a million 13 year olds crying that someone removed a block from their dirt house, I'd like to think that I can deal with mature 20-something-year-olds. At least you guys have hit puberty...

Thundy, if I may ask, because I notice this a lot whenever you're antag and caught, you rant on LOOC screaming about leaving the server or that it was not fair that you were captured. What would you do if security has caught you antagging, either with solid evidence or in the middle of the act? Would you claim it as meta? What would you do especially if you are in a position of power? Because that's the biggest criticism I have against you is that certain behaviour.

I find "whenever" to be a weighty criticism, however I believe that when I have had an outburst of this kind, I have withdrawn and either taken my point to the forums or commented on someone else's complaint (or just left it completely as I didn't see it as being worth the pursuit.) If I have offended you personally, please PM me and we can talk it through, however I feel that all other matters have been sorted out with the people that were in the situations themselves. Taking complaints to the forums is my answer, then, to your questions.

I'm offering negative support for the same reasons Baka brought up; I have consistently seen Thundy either get upset and start fighting in LOOC or repeatedly attempt to just run from people over and over again with no concern for what happens to her in character. The fact that these LOOC fights happen at all is the problem; they are typically instigated by you, and as such whether or not you excuse yourself or take it to the forums is irrelevant. It is the fact it happens at all is what I have an issue with.

I'm just going to say that I like Thundy, and I've never seen the fights that the others speak of. I have no idea of the validity of the claims, but if they are true, she is a pretty good player at other times. I have seen the admins we have currently start raging about things over Teamspeak, starting arguments and such, but as they are admins, nobody seems to care.

I'm not trying to insult the admins, I'm saying that even though they get into arguments and yes, believe it or not, get mad sometimes, they are still perfectly fine, and I do say, pretty good staff regardless. Perhaps you should not dwell on the arguments Thundy has had in the past, but the good points.

Insults I can be oversensitive about, to be completely honest,

If you'll recall, she already included roughly what you guys are saying in her application, so stating it again is redundant regardless.

If you'll recall, she already included roughly what you guys are saying in her application, so stating it again is redundant regardless.

In my opinion, this is a topic that deserves to be discussed nevertheless. There is a difference between an applicant stating a weakness in their application and other players actually reporting their thoughts on specific instances of that weakness regarding the applicant. Two people could both say "I sometime lose my temper", but if one receive many reports of temper problems and the other one doesn't, it does bring extra information that wouldn't be had otherwise.

Without actually stating whether the temper issue brought here is a directly bad point or not for this application, I would think opening dialogue about it would definitely help the applicant. Players applying to be mods will have their behavior closely scrutinized, and should have the ability (and mindset) to discuss it openly and in public as long as other involved parties are being reasonable.

There are also different types (and degrees) of ranting, and I believe there's a difference between the typical kind of public venting I have encountered from staff, and the kind that was reported here.

Just my two cents.

To be honest, I don't really believe you saying "when I have had an outburst of this kind, I have withdrawn and either taken my point to the forums or commented on someone else's complaint (or just left it completely as I didn't see it as being worth the pursuit.)" Considering last night's nuke round in which a player was killed for pulling out a crossbow while we were handling a hostage situation. Where the following was said between you and myself:

LOOC: Thundy: ignore that, sec are idiots

LOOC: Aqy: Really, thundy?

LOOC: Thundy: sorry, was that within ear shot, pardon me...

If that's not passive aggressive and unnecessary, I don't know what is; I really think it's a major display of immaturity, especially when you're under scrutiny for this exact situation, while applying to be a moderator.

• 2 weeks later...