Fix Machine Overload

sonicgotnuked

Ah, glorious machine overload. I remember back on the exodus when an AI would blow a fully charged APC and it is equivalent to a max cap bomb anywhere on the station. Sadly, I thought it was fixed about over a year ago. It wasn't to my surprise after doing some basic testing. The AI can seriously gib you anywhere there is an APC and turn you department into a hole in the rock. Seriously. I got some photos bellow with a SMES and APC. SMES should be pretty big booms in my opinion, but the APC needs to be weaker at full charge. 

a6f4ad58ce3b0202dc2f0a0d236cda65.png

7a6241e6d27ea46f85b7b005fc79c921.png

7 minutes ago, TheSleepyCatmom said:

Every time you start to use it, you're told by the admins that blowing maxcaps randomly will result in punishment.

At least I am. It's the equivalent of blowing a maxcap randomly, because that's literally what you're doing. It doesn't need to be fixed, it just needs to be policed. Which it is.

I understand that Sleepy, but some naive AIs learn about it the hard way. We will always get a new person who gets machine overload and blows up the glowing green thing on the wall. How does a little APC destroy entire departments? Why don't we just nerf the explosion size so it can be serious but not instantly remove five people from the round?

I gibbed the entire of security before back on the Exodus when I learned APCs equal max cap bombs. Perhaps this was just a long overdue bug by whoever coded machine overload accidentally copied the SMES equation. 

Perhaps while we are at it, we should code a warning to the SMES's that they can be pretty big explosions whenever you decide to click on it. There are substations that an AI can charge if they wish to blow up a portion of the station.

Edited by sonicgotnuked
added some stuff
5 minutes ago, TheSleepyCatmom said:

APCs are, yknow. APCs. They hold the power of a cell but also are wired directly into the grid. It makes /sense/ they have large explosions and I don't personally see a reason to change that. A warning would be fine, I agree.

I mean, a SMES holds a lot more power. I can see that blowing a massive hole. Meanwhile, APCs I don't see that. I don't think it was ever intended either because whoever made the code put the same equation into the SMES. Probably something from bay.

How I see it, is that when a Rampant AI does Machine Overload onto an electronic. They quite literally re-direct all possible forms of electricity to that one machine within half a second and then all that just goes KABOOM. So it makes sense that APCs would be big. You also have to remember that Machine Overload is AoE and supercharges other electronics of the same type. So if you overload a room with  a lot of APCs near each other, its basically 3 maxcaps. I also think this is already balanced itself as to do Machine Overload, you need to have camera coverage and when you, you know, OVERLOAD it. It destroys a shit ton of cameras and most Rampant AIs don't get Camera Reactivation or don't know the trick to using it on cameras you have down so it does keep the AI weak in those parts. Plus, most of the time: it never actually breaches zlevels.

3 minutes ago, GreenBoi said:

How I see it, is that when a Rampant AI does Machine Overload onto an electronic. They quite literally re-direct all possible forms of electricity to that one machine within half a second and then all that just goes KABOOM. So it makes sense that APCs would be big. You also have to remember that Machine Overload is AoE and supercharges other electronics of the same type. So if you overload a room with  a lot of APCs near each other, its basically 3 maxcaps. I also think this is already balanced itself as to do Machine Overload, you need to have camera coverage and when you, you know, OVERLOAD it. It destroys a shit ton of cameras and most Rampant AIs don't get Camera Reactivation or don't know the trick to using it on cameras you have down so it does keep the AI weak in those parts. Plus, most of the time: it never actually breaches zlevels.

I forgot to mention that. It actually does breach three Z-levels.

1 hour ago, sonicgotnuked said:

I forgot to mention that. It actually does breach three Z-levels.

Well, it does very rarely and still, with that, very rarely does it also affect the levels above or below it unless strategically planned like pulling down specific parts of a house of cards or blowing up precise points of a pyramid

5 hours ago, GreenBoi said:

Well, it does very rarely and still, with that, very rarely does it also affect the levels above or below it unless strategically planned like pulling down specific parts of a house of cards or blowing up precise points of a pyramid

The three times I did it and looked, I saw Z-level damage. They were fully charged APCs.

I would like to add some clarification.

Explosions act like a cone that only travel upwards when it breaches Z-levels. If I blew an explosion on the main level and it was powerful enough, it will travel to the surface. Now on the other hand, an explosion on the surface level will only damage the surface level and nothing bellow it.

I think APC machine overload should blow off limbs, but I don't want to see it travel Z-levels and gib people like an SMES should.

3 minutes ago, CampinKiller said:

Okay, the robotics picture is because a fuel tank got caught in the blast, making it larger. But yes, there will always be some poor soul who discovers (accidentally) the maxcap. That was me the other day

The tank and its radius of effect is completely out of the picture. This is the damage that occurs every time a max-charged APC explodes. 

• Gem locked this topic