[Accepted]Xevanthraxis' Skrell Application

BYOND Key: Xevanthraxis

Character Names: Sarah Edwards - Paisley Ward

Species you are applying to play: Skrell

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Teal.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I wish to play this race as they follow my own personal interests, that being science; of which would mostly be Physics and Biology. I find them interesting in these aspects, from biology to their society along with their unusual relationship with slimes and their wanton to advance scientific understanding. They also have a suspicious tendency towards synthetic life due to the Glorsh Rebellion and Glorsh Omega, this has much potential in terms of RP.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Their aspects such as their dietary needs, along with their latent telepathic ability. Being the Wake and the Dream. With Receivers and Listeners, those who influenced directly and those who just listen. The wake is more passive compared to the Dream; as whilst the wake can allow Skrell to share thoughts, the Dream can allow much more. Allowing Skrell to share both memories and emotions, this can be dangerous for those who hold secrets. However, there are precautions such as plated walls, or headsets. 

This along with how their society works, being - whilst similar - different from humanity such as their handling with relationships and how their humour operates. Skrell experience humour as a mild pain in the mouth, similar to spicy foods. This can be enjoyed by younger Skrell, however older members find even the most mild jokes as rude and impolite. Their familial structures are different in that Skrell do not marry, but instead form Unions: that can include from 2 to 12 members, joining and leaving is a simple process and there is no shame in leaving such a union. 

And whilst humans do indeed take pride in their scientific works, the Skrell take it one step further. Wanting to know more about the unknown in the universe, having a drive in my opinion is stronger than a humans. The difference in opinion on AI is also another factor, and shows that the skrell can get by without the use of AI.

Character Name: Shae’Jurlp Ghlubleuc

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

Shae’Jurlp Ghlubleuc was born on Qerrbalak in the year 2411 to a semi-wealthy family. The family would include a member that lived during the Glorsh Rebellion, having been one of newborns to receive the Genophage from Glorsh-Omega during the years following 2098. He himself was a Xenobiologist and was one of the major members of her familial union, which would be made up of around 7 members. Her early life was filled with learning of the natural world, more so on the life that would live alongside skrell; mostly taught by Phlur’gun, the eldest family member.

He would explain that there isn’t just the life on Qerrbalak, but also on the many worlds that span the galaxy. One of which she would have been told about, would be Xrim, where Phlur’gun onced worked towards the end of the Synthetic rebellion, where he would go on trips from time to time. Helping with both conservation efforts due to Glorsh-Omega having used the planet to store other Xeno species, with the Skrell living there had to deal with the new Synthetic danger along with the already dangerous wildlife.

It is during her she started to pick up on his own dislike of Synthetics and AIs, however despite not liking them directly; can see why they may be needed by other species. She also developed a hate for violence in any form. Unless it is to keep her self or others safe. 

2416 to 2431 CE: Is where Shea’Jurlp would study her Kindergarten years, during this time she would occasionally go with Phlur’gun on various trips around Qerrbalak, which was when she saw one of the first slimes she’d seen. She had seen pictures and stories from Phlur’gun, but this along with his stories and the wonders of life on other worlds. Spurred her inspiration to follow his work. Sadly, a few years before she managed to be accepted onto The Gliutip’lyaz University board; Phlur’gun passed away. And over the time of her life she spent with Phlur’gun she had developed a love for the natural world. Loving everything nature can give and understanding that some things need to be done to survive. 

2432 to 2454 CE: Due to missing a more influential family member made the first 5 years at  Gliutip’lyaz University hard for her, only just managing to pass her tests; but this only pushed her further, wanting to continue the work of Phlur’gun. Training mostly on Biology side subjects, such as Xenobiology, Anatomy and Xenobotoney. Even after the initial 5 years she still struggled in other areas, however soon managed to graduate at the end of the 23 years, gaining her PhD in Xenobiology.

2455 to 2461 CE: After having Graduated from Gliutip’lyaz University, she then moved to Aliose to continue further training in her field. She now has a residency at NNTC Odin, and works aboard the NSS Aurora as a Xenobiologist. She would have been in this residency since 2457, two years after living on Aliose. She lives on the NNTC Odin for around 10 months. Spending one month at Aliose and another at Xrim. Having been able to get in touch with a fellow, and older Xenobiologist who knew her grandfather, and allowed her to take month long trips to the overgrown world. With her love for life she doesn’t like the part of her job that is extracting the slime extract with her dislike of violence. However, only does it due to her wonton to expand her own knowledge for the betterment of others, having a great care over the slimes. She would also share notes with fellow Xenobiologist Dr.Ward, being curious on the Human’s work on Slimes and their theories on slime biology. 

What do you like about this character?

I like this character as it follows similar interests of my own, that being biology (In her case Xeno-biology); in both flora and fauna, which would allow me to also do my own passion whilst also doing one of the activities I like doing. She also has a love for the natural world, be it other races, or the Flora and Fauna she researches. She is kind to others, offering to help however she can. And with my own knowledge on biology, incorporating what I know well allows me to make my RP more believable, allowing me to make the best out of this character. It is also completely different from my other character (Sarah), who tends to take part in simpler jobs, and in a way this is me branching outwards from my usual role when playing on the server. (Minus Paisley Ward: Who is my Xenobiologist.)

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I would rate my RP ability between a 7 or 8/10. I have been doing Rp in multiple forms for a good 6 years now in games such as Gmod, as well as various tabletop games. However I have been on the slow burn lately, hoping this will get me back in action. I do often make mistakes, mostly due to the odd spelling or grammatical errors, but they usually aren’t too prevalent.

Edited by Resilynn

The applications has a few good things and a few things that could be improved.

The good for me is that you used known and notable locations to this species and incorporating the appropriate ones to suit the character backstory. There's also a measure of acknowledgment in regards to the synthetic issue. While the aspect of information volume here is not much, it is enough to allow me to get some amount of insight to this character you created.

Unfortunately, I do find a few other things lacking.

The question regarding what makes them different in my opinion to not be enough. You mentioned diet, humor and relationship to be different than humans, but you didn't mention how. 

Your history with the server is limited and far in between. You have five rounds in May and one round in August as a total of all characters you have listed. Your last log in of the server was actually a couple of days before you posted this application. 

So overall, while I'm not averse to endorsing your application as a deputy, given that my gripes are addressed and the background fleshed out a bit. I cannot see myself doing so currently, due to your low round count and lack of feedback or endorsements of other players. My personal recommendation is you log a number of rounds and to advertise your next application for feedback. 

You mention things--places, events, happenings, things--but you never expand on it. You talk about their dietary restrictions and humor but... just end it there. Expand on it. How is their humor like? What was the synthetic rebellion? What are these places and new worlds you talk about in this app.

You also never elaborate on your character's personality. Right now, it seems like it is a shell for a job you want. It doesn't feel like a character, it feels like a mechanism to play a job you like. Why do they want to have that job? Why are they doing this? How does skrell society affect that choice?

This app is pretty barebones as it is. It needs expansion for more criticism to arrive.

Hi!  Sorry for the lack of response on my end, it's been a crazy busy week.  I would like you to answer DeadLantern's questions.  I see you've played a good handful of rounds since Abo pointed out your low activity, thank you for that effort.

I plan to give you my decision on this tomorrow, so please get to those questions if you have a moment to.

Busy is okay, it happens to all of us. I like the exploratory nature of this particular froggo. This is a skrell following a passion, who doesn’t feel pressure to succeed as much as she feels a thirst to know more and be involved. I think, in skrell society, this could be taken as a lack of ambition in the sciences (where are all your other degrees?!  Why aren’t you trying to pioneer a field?) and it makes perfect sense that she is studying in human space.  

Application accepted. I hope to see you around soon.