Removing Malfunctioning AI as a Gamemode

On 29/02/2020 at 01:13, Carver said:

I'm not sure how malf would even fare in those modes, truthfully. Wizards and Ninjas can both effortlessly kill the malf in about under 60 seconds of deciding they want it dead. Perhaps it may do better in other modes, I suppose.

Ideally the Malf AI and the other antags coordinate to some degree, the main problem in malf rounds when it's solo is that the AI and Stationbounds in general shine in giving utility to a round, and not in driving tension in them, and yet they're put into a position where they're supposed to drive tension and stuff without any scaling (2-3 'borgs max regardless of the Station population, it's the same at 20 crew and 80 crew) and with just really powerful, potentially round-destroying abilities that don't add a whole lot aside from escalating 1>100 in three clicks. P. much unless the AI and 'borgs are completely in sync on the gimmick and are VERY loud it's p. darn hard to do a good malf round with a compelling progression/etc

This is p. much why I think being in combination rounds nearly solely will make the Malf able to just help the other Antags and play around them to help drive up tension instead of trying to do it with 2 'borgs and and themselves in a round of like, 70 people. It should turn out better.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, where an AI shines in antagonistic assistance is when it's been subverted. A malf AI cannot be controlled and is thus an incredibly unreliable element when it comes to an ally, compounded with that multi-antag role modes are the roundtype equivalent of 'Freddy vs Jason/Alien vs Predator/insert your favourite corny monster v monster movie'.

As for malf and antag AI on it's own, I've made my piece elsewhere on the subject. AIs at their core are mechanically designed to relentlessly halt and harry their opposition, no matter their status as an antag or otherwise; leading to very slow, predictable and otherwise stagnant stalemates in conflict. Little more than a tool, fitting to their lore.

24 minutes ago, Carver said:

Generally, where an AI shines in antagonistic assistance is when it's been subverted. A malf AI cannot be controlled and is thus an incredibly unreliable element when it comes to an ally, compounded with that multi-antag role modes are the roundtype equivalent of 'Freddy vs Jason/Alien vs Predator/insert your favourite corny monster v monster movie'.

That's true but if you're playing an antag mode as antag vs antag you're probably not going to make a fun round anyhoo. Just the AI not being under Crew control makes it helpful for an Antag even without subversion/etc, it means more than likely it's not going to help lock you down. ?

That coupled with it being antagonistic/etc will be a really big help usually, and if the Malf does get destroyed the 'borgs are still lawless and can do whatever they want to do (Usually going to be to survive and help the Antag) so it's still p. positive for the round.

Edited by Chada1
  • Gem locked this topic