Modular shields and rework tactical shields

Modular Shields

I intend to construct a modular system for shields. The system is pretty simple. You will have a frame, following some steps you will attach plating to it or remove it. Presently I imagine it in two ways. This won't touch things like the energy shield and other niche items present in the code base, at least for now. 

Spoiler

Installation: Frame > Attach Plating > screwdriver plating into place > shield type is finished.

Removal: Unscrew plating > Crowbar plating out > yield frame and plating 

Fluff wise, it's nothing spectacular, has screws and slots to place plating into place. 

Spoiler

Installation: Frame > Attach plating over a timer

Removal: Select option to remove plating over a time > yield frame and plating

Fluff wise there's something akin to mag clamps that you can enable or disable. Timer is explained by needing to hold down the button for a while for it to do so.

In this project, I'll most likely only make three variants.

1- Riot. This already exists but might improve it slightly as some of its stats seem somewhat lackluster.

2- Ballistic. It'll come with a slowdown as the plating would be heavy and specialize against ballistic projectiles. It'll have the potential to perhaps stop some of the weaker energy/beam weapons as well as it literally being bullet proof, similar stats like the riot shield towards melee.

3- Ablative. Essentially the inverse to ballistic in terms of its specialization. Things like the slowdown, protection against lower calibers and stats similar to the riot shield will be present. 

Tactical Shield Rework

Presently stats wise the tactical shield which come in two variations, standard and TCFL, do not really match their description. 

"A highly advanced ballistic shield crafted from durable materials and plated ablative panels. Can be collapsed for mobility."

I intend to rework it to allow both those shields to have some protective measure against ballistic projectiles and ablative instead of just using the same code as riot shields.

Check List:

• Code modular system [ ] 
  • Code variants [ ]
  • Rework tactical shields [ ] 
  • Acquire necessary sprites [ ]

Addendum: I'm accepting sprites from people. Though speak to me so we have mutual understanding on what I need.

8 minutes ago, Lemei said:

Sounds cool!

The only worry I might have is due to balance. What's stopping someone taking say, an ablative shield and ballistic armour and becoming a nightmare for off-station antags to kill? Speed aside, anyway.

Shields work by direction. If they're carrying two shields, they can't really use anything if their hands are full. Furthermore, it's a percentage chance to block.

var/base_block_chance = 50

This is the standard block chance, which could be changed for items but I don't think I'll change it. So even if they just carried two shields, a ballistic and ablative, it's not a full guarantee everything will be blocked plus there's direction to consider and the slowdown I intend for the heavy duty shields to have.

Addendum: I misunderstood. Even if they're carrying ballistic armor and a ablative shield, what I mentioned above applies in that it's not a 100% guaranteed block chance, there's also the slowdown and direction. Carrying a shield nullifies the efficient usage of the heavier guns which needs to be held with both hands. Overall it's good from a defensive point at the expense of offensive capabilities. 

6 minutes ago, BoryaTheSlayer said:

I like this. Question though. Since now they are modular, wouldn't it be possible for someone to deconstruct them while someone is holding them? Unless I'm dumb and this isn't actually possible when the object is held by a person, and is only possible when on the ground.

The steps or timer for action is meant to deter that. You could stand still and remove the plating at the expense of being shot at. 

4 hours ago, NewOriginalSchwann said:

I like it a lot more than what we currently have. How long do you think it will take to remove a shielding panel, and how long would it be to install one?

Original thought is 5-10 seconds of it’s a simple add or remove without steps. If it’s a multi step thing, split the timers into every action. 

• Gem locked this topic