An Essay Regarding Transparency Which Is Also Kind of a Staff Complaint I Guess?

BYOND Key: Resilynn

Staff BYOND Key: MattAtlas, sort of

Game ID: N/A

Reason for complaint:

I'm going to start off with a fair warning that this is going to be a very long, very detailed account of number of different issues.  At its heart, I suppose it is a staff complaint.  I was temp banned and I want it off my record.  But I also want to encourage meaningful changes to how Aurora staff conducts itself and handles internal investigations.

Objectivity is, in my opinion, a huge issue in how Aurora handles its investigations.  I'll go into more detail on this later, along with my suggestions for fixing it.  But for now, I'd like request that the discussion over this complaint is handled, here, over this complaint.  I know the second I told anyone I was going to make this, about an hour ago, I got DM'd by someone totally separate on staff asking "Are you going to kick up a cloud of shit again" (which is totally unacceptable, both the rate the rumor of me considering a complaint was spread, that the existence of the complaint was reported to staff before it even existed, kicking up biases before I even got a word in, and also because don't consider this a cloud of shit and calling it one undermines the very point I'm trying to make, here).  My last few months of exploring other servers I've found this tendency to immediately go 'omg did you see this complaint' and 'oh man did you hear..' is fairly unique to Aurora and how it handles conflict, and I'm sure we can agree that it's not ideal.

I received a 7 day ban for making the following comments in OOC.  

image.png.4e14cd08c3f4f761a34f41e6f3efdb38.png

I explained to Matt that my comments, specifically 'whoops and here I thought I was going to play', were because I learned it was extended.  Matt, and, as I understand, other staff, decided for me what I meant, and a ban was applied on their opinion of me alone.

But let me explain the context in the months leading up to the ban, because I feel it's necessary.  I'm going to be highly subjective here and explain what I learned, in the order I learned it, to show my thought process.

Spoiler

As I only understand it now, this conflict began with an incident with Vrow in November (I could be wrong about the month, this was a very long time ago).  

Vrow and I had been building tension over RP for a few months between their chemist, Neith Mekesatis, and my CMO, Gonzales.  Gonzales is a notorious bully, of course, that's the character.  I am not a bully.  I checked in with Vrow regularly as I escalated conflict to be sure everything I did was done with Vrow's enthusiastic consent.

This ultimately resulted in an incident, on extended, where Gonzo privately drank truth serum, failing to drug Mekesatis, in order to convince him that his concern for Mekesatis' well being was genuine.  Mekesatis, in round, laughed at a crying Gonzales, and basically, it was just good old extended drama.  Again, Vrow seemed pleased with how this was going.

image.png.372ca9c9ecc9a570f013975af111c1d2.png

Feeling now was a good time for just a bit more escalation, I contacted Vrow to be sure he was okay if I took things up a notch (without telling him exactly what that was for fear of spoiling it) and made sure I was good to move forward.  That escalation was removing Neith's organic eyes and replacing them with prosthetics for a bunch of character and story reasons that I won't get into.

Again, I made sure to OOCly get consent.

There was a lot of Discord text RP after this incident.  I don't have those logs, I've left every Aurora discord.  But this text RP, not on server, resulted in Mekesatis having some sort of panic attack thing were EMS were called and he stopped breathing etc etc etc.

This is when I stopped and told Vrow I wasn't comfortable with how text RP was impacting server RP.  On the server, there are mechanics in place to prevent something like a stress induced heart attack or whatever that was, and for good reason.  In text RP, there's no such thing.  I was finding that text RP, off server, which has no reason to be canon without everyone involved's consent, was gravely impacting my experience playing on server.  

I've always struggled with the distinction between me, Resi, the relatively nice player who tries to follow fules, and Fernando Gonzales, the absolute bully who breaks rules as he sees fit left and right.  People assume I'm playing a self insert, it's happened a number of times.  Not only was my character not being treated well for giving Mekesatis an off screen heart attack, but I was noticing some negative feelings towards myself, the player, too.  

So I contacted Vrow and explained I was upset about the impact off server RP was having on Aurora canon.  I did so respectfully, mostly, though I'll admit I was pretty annoyed.

image.png.9b2f967e605e5222f431c43d60511508.png

In this same conversation, Vrow expressed enthusiastic consent again.

image.png.cd382d406f67af58c7b2d01ed463aabf.png

The conversation ended without resolution, and a few days later I expressed that I'd lost interest in playing the character.  This was my last conversation with Vrow, the last thing I said before my ban.  Remember this, it's important.  "I don't want to ruin your character for you, or your experience" is how I ended my friendship with Vrow.

image.png.ad7adb545e5bec2b7745473fc9d7fa37.png

Around this time, I was noticing some rather poor interactions with people OOCly.  I felt like I'd somehow offended people, but I assumed it must have had to do with my recent Skrell arc somehow.  My character was demoted by CCIA shortly after this time, though I'd already stopped playing the character.

I took some time to consider, made an appeal, the appeal was accepted.  But I'd just moved across the country and was starting a new job, I didn't have time to play much.  I made another CMO and was surprised to see that those same medical characters who hated Gonzales for somehowgivingNeithaheartattackoffserver also immediately hated this new CMO, and my first or second round playing her, an IR went up alluding to 'like other CMOs recently demoted...' or something like that.  This screamed meta to me, but I brought it up to both the handling agent and Lancer, and it was dismissed.

I did not understand, at the time, where this insistence that I was being a bully came from, following me between characters and OOCly.  I never would have expected it came from Vrow, our last message had largely been amicable.

I'm going to admit, I wasn't my best at this time.  When you are treated like something, you tend to act like that something.  I constantly felt like I was on the defensive.  I was getting IRs immediately on new characters, referencing my old characters.  I was wrapping up the staff complaint on Lancer to get my character's permanent demotion turned into something appealable.  I was constantly justifying removing characters like Bear's Yahir, where words were put into my mouth on the staff complaint on me, outright lies were being spread about what I'd actually communicated as lore dev.  Naturally, I provided screen shots and cleared that all up.  But my point here is, constantly being put in the position of having to justify yourself, multiple complaints, and this strange new situation where so many of the players I'd gotten along with great seemed to strongly dislike me, I was definitely more abrasive than normal.  I still was following all of the rules.

This sense of constantly being on the defensive was compounded when Matt contacted me over discord.  I'm not used to admins handling anything over Discord instead of server side or forum complaints, but I (confusedly) responded anyway.  The issue that needed clearing up was security records that I'd deleted after IC interactions without ahelping- I hadn't known you needed to ahelp.  I explained this to Matt and it took a couple weeks, but it was resolved, no administrative action.  During those couple of weeks I had the compounded sense of being on the defensive because there was now a whitelist ban dangling over my head.  

image.png.eadf9438376143256b30ca332b906149.png

Shortly after, Matt contacted me again, still not over the server or forums, asking to explain the Neith situation.  I didn't go into as much depth as I did on this complaint, I didn't feel the need to, I wasn't asked to clarify, and no resolution was given to me regarding my answers.

image.png.2b6de4618547204cad3ff6bd30ad1915.png

Also around this time, between the first and second time being contacted by Matt, Juani removed me as a mod from the medical discord.  This was done for two reasons- one, because I had gone to a headmin regarding a staff decision (I wasn't able to come on server and  ahelp, and I felt a player complaint would kick up too much drama).  Juani told me I wasn't allowed to go directly to headmins, though the headmin said nothing about it.  Secondly, because of an ongoing investigation into me, according to Juani, which Juani said he was unable to explain.

image.png.d0249990510fdbd0c71840a1df3c00e2.png

I spent the next few weeks trying to figure out what investigation Juani was even talking about.  I'd heard nothing from Matt yes- note that Juani said there was an investigation on March 7th, and I wasn't contacted by Matt for questioning until March 22nd.  There was no open ahelp, no player complaint, several other staff members said they had no idea what investigation was open.  

Now, consider you are in my position.  Your long term character is no longer playable.  You get an IR the first round you play a new character, alluding to your last character.  This is dismissed as not a grudge.  People are acting like you're doing something wrong.  You've been told by an admin that there is an ongoing investigation, but no one explains it.  You have no idea what over.  You've just finished up a staff complaint where another staff member lied about your decision making very publicly on the general discord.  You've been removed as a mod from an affiliated discord with no explanation.  You have an ongoing staff complaint trying to (ultimately successfully) argue a permanent demotion is way too much for the first IC offense in two years.  Literally all of my time related to Aurora was being spent defending myself, and looming over it all was this vague, nebulous, someone somewhere is looking into something you did but no one will say who, what, or why.

I was not a very pleasant person at this time.  Would you be?  So, I distanced myself from the server.  I was playing less and less every week.

Finally, with no resolution from Matt's inquiry regarding removing Mekesatis' eyes, after a full month, nearly, of having this investigation open that no one would talk about, Matt contacted me for the third time.  Again, no ahelp, no player complaint, no accountability or transparency on the admin end of things.

image.png.c4c494d826071adb7333ce62a7f655d8.png

image.png.035117a4be52c3227b445b153e0dc11e.png

image.png.6bd55d6e708565e8baf8baf4ffe734f3.png

image.png.616dc4cdda41cc681cedaa467d8748c1.png

image.png.3e437f2596ca31dc52f5f13251638891.png

image.png.ed3a4416cbec0b2dfd78f038ba91f147.png

For the record, this OOC conversation Matt is asking about?  I had, literally, 100% seriously, been bitching about it being extended.  I hadn't yelled at Vrow over DMs, why would I be yelling at Vrow over OOC?  

At this point, tired of the nonstop infighting and defending myself and convinced, since I'd had an admin tell me there was an ongoing investigation against me for weeks before I heard anything from staff, since I had another admin independently DMing me over and over again, twice over incidents months old, as if he were looking for a reason to ban me, I resigned from staff and left the server.

It was only today, when I told Juani that I was planning on making a complaint because I STILL didn't understand what investigation he was talking about, after all, my ban was over an incident that happened nearly a month afterward, that I understand something about what happened.

I'm not sure how much of this was speculation on Juani's side, and you don't need to believe me here- this paragraph is 100% speculation, as far as I'm concerned, but it does explain things.  Apparently Vrow, dissatisfied with how I stopped playing Fernando after the Discord RP stuff, complained that I had removed Mekesatis' eyes due to a metagrudge.  Clearly, this isn't true- again, enthusiastic consent, and the eye removal was well before our argument and falling out.  Given I wasn't questioned beyond my initial explanation to Matt, I never provided logs to prove that consent had been there.  Then, when I made the comment on it being extended (whoops, and here I thought I was going to play), I believe it served to confirm Matt's bias that I was speaking from a place of, you know, metagrudging.  I believe the pile of previous staff complaints and figuring things out with CCIA, on top of my own attitude which was hugely impacted by the nebulous threat of an anonymous investigation into me (though I mostly just distanced myself from the server to avoid lashing out, I totally still lashed out, especially over the first-time-I-played-another-character IR that was somehow not declared a metagrudge even though it referenced my past character IN the report)- I believe it all piled together to sour my reputation in the community, and among administrative staff.

Now, all that history aside, here's my argument.

My ban was, frankly, bullshit.  Sorry for the language, but I don't know how else to put it.  It is entirely unreasonable for an admin to say 'No, you said this but I've decided you MEANT this, take a ban.'  Especially because I wasn't given a chance to present the logs that clearly show I wasn't being a dick at Vrow.  Especially because I was told 'drop it' by Matt while he was asking for my side of things.  It is also entirely unreasonable to leave a player pending with 'there's an investigation on you but no one will tell you anything more except it exists, and most staff will deny that in the first place.'  It's legitimately just gaslighting.  'Look how miserable Resi is, super paranoid, very defensive, she probably WAS metagrudging Vrow'- except I was concerned over very real threats of an impending investigation.

I did not break the rules.  It is incredibly unreasonable to put words into my mouth, saying I said what I said at Vrow instead of at extended, and then to ban me for the motivations you decided I had.

Bans, even temp bans, should require concrete evidence.  Not the bias of a bunch of people thinking I'm a bully because of my character and staff complaints, not the bias of a shadow investigation into a metagrudge that I wasn't even aware of, that I couldn't even defend myself against.  I don't think I need to argue that concrete, objective evidence is important, but, well, here we are.  You cannot prove, in any way, what I meant.  Only what I said, and what I said was nothing close to against the rules.

So, that's my first point.  I want the ban removed from my record, and I want it written down very clearly for the future that concrete evidence is needed.

Second, and importantly, I have a suggestion for the future.  This entire experience has soured my view of the Aurora.  I don't know if I'll ever come back, I've been enjoying what I view as a significantly less toxic environment elsewhere.  I have no plans to come back, currently.  But, for people who are in my situation in the future, I suggest that player investigations are handled with transparency.  I had no idea what my investigation was over, I only knew there was one, and even then, most staff was denying there was one.  This complaint should not have needed to rely almost entirely on Discord logs.  Your investigations should be done over player complaints and ahelps.  Apparently, in the same week I was reprimanded by Juani for going to a headmin with a problem instead of making a staff complaint, Vrow was able to make a complaint on me without touching the forums.  That is a double standard.  Vrow should have had to make a player complaint, Matt should have directed Vrow to the forums.

If player complaints  are too transparent to the entire community (I have not seen another spacemen server that treats complaints in the very dramatic, petty, cliquey way they're handled here), then the complaint should be handled internally on the staff side of the forums.  

This will benefit you in a few ways.  First, if someone who had been handling a case drops out of handling it (Juani said this happened in my case), you have a record of the conversations that were had.  Second, you'll avoid another novel-length complaint from whoever Resi 2 is.

This mismanagement, this assigning motivations to me and banning me for the motivations you gave me, this allowing one player to tarnish my entire reputation here independently of any of the formal complaint systems we have implemented, this not giving me the chance to properly defend myself and telling me to 'drop it'- I find all of it ridiculous and inexcusable.

I was told, for weeks, there was no investigation into me (though Juani said there was).  I was never told the conclusion of that second line of questioning, where Matt asked why I removed Mekesatis' eyes, so I could never prove it was done with consent and good intentions.  The moment I brought up writing this out, I was accused by a staff member of coming here to stir shit up.

I want to know why this investigation was handled this way.

Additional remarks: I deleted evidence and logs section since they're included in the whole thing.

For the purpose of this complaint i can only really speak to the legitimacy of the ban. Suggestions and policy updates are beyond the scope of a staff complaint. You would need to create a policy suggestion. I will just start by asking @MattAtlas for more information on why he banned you. 

I know the second I told anyone I was going to make this, about an hour ago, I got DM'd by someone totally separate on staff asking "Are you going to kick up a cloud of shit again"

I assume you have proof of this?

3 minutes ago, Garnascus said:

For the purpose of this complaint i can only really speak to the legitimacy of the ban. Suggestions and policy updates are beyond the scope of a staff complaint. You would need to create a policy suggestion. I will just start by asking @MattAtlas for more information on why he banned you. 

That’s reasonable, and I don’t expect any public resolution here, but I do hope there is an internal conversation regarding transparency. 

7 hours ago, Resilynn said:

Matt, and, as I understand, other staff, decided for me what I meant, and a ban was applied on their opinion of me alone.

This is correct. What do you expect me to do? Ask you if you broke the rules, you'd say "no" and then go on your merry way? You don't get to decide if you broke the rules or not.

Let me paint a picture of who exactly you are first of all.

immagine.png.5cc6f03cca791148e69761bf7dc788e6.png

656213123_Senzanome.png.923da47b9cf97bd408cba7a73e30ed88.png

Not looking good so far. You're very well known for being an asshole in OOC and being passive aggressive. In addition, I also had people send me screenshots of you telling them in Discord that "they're the reason you stopped playing Gonzales". From my point of view, my perception of you was already poisoned due to these notes. Let's take a look at what made me ban you.

unknown.png

It's not exactly new that there's controversy regarding you and Vrow. You explained it. Your justification for this comment was that "I hate extended" or something, and you learnt it was extended like this:

immagine.thumb.png.d23060908d7540343ea87d3890acf697.png

This holds no water. Considering your prior behaviour I have no reason to even remotely believe you.

Now let's talk about the complaint. The fact that I have to spend a morning writing on this to indulge someone who is this pretentious is frankly infuriating. You wanted to decide the timeframe in which I handled complaints. You went to one person in the whitelist team and asked them if there was an investigation, to which they replied "I don't know of any", and you are now using this excuse to go off on a moral grandstanding tirade about how we're not transparent. But, let me humor you for a few minutes.

Your investigations should be done over player complaints and ahelps. 

Why? You haven't even given a reason for this. I'm not going to go hunt for you in the server to find you. You're on a very different timezone from me. I live in Europe and you live in Canada or wherever the fuck. You also wouldn't get any more info than what I told you in Discord, so I'm confused as to why you'd even put this in here, other than trying to tell us what to do because Hestia does it better or whatever is going on in your head. I also asked you for your opinion on everything that I was handling. If Juani confused you about an investigation, you could have gone to me or someone else. Here's a hint: you didn't.

This mismanagement, this assigning motivations to me and banning me for the motivations you gave me, this allowing one player to tarnish my entire reputation here independently of any of the formal complaint systems we have implemented, this not giving me the chance to properly defend myself and telling me to 'drop it'- I find all of it ridiculous and inexcusable.

immagine.png.ab5a8295690a7df90c57aac2683c0dc0.png

I told you to drop it because you were complaining that I was investigating you too much. Which is a completely fucking stupid thing to say of you. I don't even understand how you can come in here and say this shit, dude. The reason I investigating you is because a few people went to Abo regarding some issues with Gonzales, who went to me, and I investigated them after a month because I procrastinated. There's no secret police here. You're just paranoid. To add to this, I didn't punish you for any incidents, because they were not rulebreaks.

I couldn't even defend myself against [this investigation]

You could defend yourself when I told you about it. Unfortunately your defense was a lie, so I banned you. It works like that in admin PMs too.

I only knew there was one, and even then, most staff was denying there was one. 

I'm not sure if you talked to a CCIA or lorewriter about this, because when I made my admin decision I spoke to nearly every admin for an opinion. I made a google doc on this explaining everything and sent it to the aforementioned people to ask for their opinion.

I want the ban removed from my record, and I want it written down very clearly for the future that concrete evidence is needed.

I had concrete evidence to say that you were lying to me.

Finally, your reputation was not tarnished due to a single player. It was tarnished by yourself, Who knew that being an ass would have repercussions?

For the last segment, I don't appreciate how you went off on Juani complaining about me. Juani isn't even staff anymore. He retired. Here's what you actually said:

unknown.png

immagine.thumb.png.b0302e5f0e8a562da63388c9f33da58f.png

I don't think you have any credibility left and my ban holds out. Do what you said you would do and stick to "the other server", please.

One last self-explaining screenshot to end my post:

unknown-392.png

Edited by MattAtlas

I made the IR. The comparison to Gonzales was because the characters were very similar - bullies, unable to take criticism, ect. I didn't even know it was you who played her until after, and I'm not entirely sure where your evidence of supposed metagrudging comes from?

Whilst I absolutely have problems with people playing characters that directly, negatively impacts the enjoyment of other people in a group setting, it's not against the rules so far as I know. Though if people dislike joining rounds and departments due to how someone acts IC and OOC, that seems like an issue to me. But otherwise:

a) I've never spoken to you at length.
b) I have fairly limited contact with Vrow. Our DM history is something like four messages long, and whilst we run in similar circles, I wouldn't say we're close or the like. So, again, I'm not entirely sure what the basis of this is - especially as I did't know anything about this discord RP thing and, quite frankly, didn't care.

After the IR - during which I made it very clear I didn't want any OOC punishment as the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth - whilst I can't conclusively prove it, I have my suspicions you were attempting to be petty and metagrude yourself. Things like DMing Alb (I think it was?) over something Rooster supposedly used to do, despite the fact they'd had another admin ruling saying it was fine, what felt like targeting my characters; things like running around with a recorder on, monitoring people via getting officers to spy on them, ect.

Now obviously I can't prove any of this came from a malicious place, but it wasn't exactly rare for you to OOCly complain about supposed medical 'cliques' when you didn't get your way. Maybe it was all IC. In which case there were more than enough similarities between Peace and Gonzaeles for the comparison to be made, to the point where these allegations of being meta'd by myself and other med players is somewhat ridiculous.

Your response is very angry. You call me an asshole several times. 

This is exactly my issue with how all of this was handled. 

I have no idea what that note regarding jackboot is. How does jackboot causing a shitstorm (which is a very vague and very rude description) have anything to do with me?  My well documented passive aggression, from alb’s warning, was literally all at burger. The person who was calling women (including me)cunts, who used the N word on server, who was actually going after people, by name, on ooc. Does that justify how I handled it?  Nope. But it doesn’t establish a pattern. 

Do you see how your core argument here is that you dislike me?  I’ve never called out slurs on people. I argue with people, sure, but the screen shots are right there to show how I argue- no name calling, always interested in working towards a solution instead of tearing the other person down. Your screenshots from the conversation with juani lack a lot of context- here’s another from the same conversation. 

699B4F66-0E43-49A2-97D1-C93922758DC0.thumb.png.bbd518426ddf73b9522ffe19983943b4.png

Anyone can go through any conversation, especially one where I am, frankly, pissed off, and pick out quotes that don’t show how the conversation was ultimately handled.  This is, again, one of the big reasons handling these sorts of things over discord is hugely inefficient.

“This is correct. What do you expect me to do? Ask you if you broke the rules, you'd say "no" and then go on your merry way? You don't get to decide if you broke the rules or not.”

The rule I apparently broke here was being passive aggressive at vrow.  I was commenting on extended.  That is the truth, that was my motivation.  It is ridiculous that you can decide what I actually meant for me, especially since you’d literally come into this expecting that to be the case.  Like you just said, “my perception of you was already poisoned”.  

Getting a ban for reputation alone is ridiculous.

In any case, you still haven’t provided an explanation for why I was told there was an investigation nearly a month before I was contacted about it.  You do a great job of reinforcing that gaslighting though, in your response here.  You say I’m just paranoid, but we know that an investigation was going on about me, for weeks, before I was contacted.  And we know that this investigation was being handled by an admin whose perception of me was already poisoned.

I am not the person you seem to think I am.  It’s not my job to convince you that I’m not, but your subjective opinion of me should not result in a ban.  A ban, again, should be for a rule that I actually broke, for a thing I actually did, not because you think I am a pretentious asshole.

13 minutes ago, Resilynn said:

things

I have zero interest in arguing with you. My perception of you is never changing. What I did is, in my opinion, correct.

For the record, this entire reply contains a very malformed perception of how administrating works.

Edited by MattAtlas

When we finish or deal with an issue related to a player we generally make a note on their ckey detailing what the issue was and what the result was. Usually this manifests in the formula of "Player did X told them not to do X". If the player continually does X greater and more severe punishments can accrue. Lets assume for a moment a player has thrown someone down disposals and killed them. Upon investigation they claim it was an accident due to lag or some other reason. Someone with a clean record is likely to be given the benefit of the doubt and get off with just a note telling them to be more careful. Now lets say they do this same exact thing again a few months later. They claim once again that it was an accident. Its a lot harder to believe they are genuine but lets say the stars align and they are only warned for their behavior. In just a few short months the player once again "accidentally" throws someone down disposals and this time their chances are up. They have defied fate too long and are banned.

The point i am trying to illustrate with this example is that it is absolutely permissible for us to moderate off of someone's "reputation" as you say. In my example we can clearly establish a pattern of problematic behavior. In his case its tossing people down disposals. In your case it is being rude, passive aggressive or otherwise to fellow players in OOC and LOOC, You have a handful of notes documenting this in just the past six months. 

In the context of your notes the comment you made does indeed to be directed at vrow. You unfortunately have too many notes and instances of passive aggressive behavior for us to believe this is your one moment of being genuine. 

In your example, shoving someone down disposals, that’s a thing you can see. There are logs. It’s concrete. 

Here, I said “lmao and here I thought I was going to play”. That, by itself, isn’t against rules. I don’t know where this reputation of never being genuine comes from, but I assure you, I am being genuine.

Dude, i am literally looking right at your notes. You have FOUR instances of being rude and passive aggressive to people in OOC or LOOC. Two of them i gave you and all of these instances in the past year. Thus the comments you made against vrow definitely follow as also being passive aggressive because it is how you operate. 

I do not really know how else i can explain this. 

I understand you won't drop the record.

I do hope, though, that you realize I have a ban for passive aggression, but you have an admin over here swearing at a player.  If passive aggression is bannable, so is aggression.  Fix your double standard, please.

You're very well known for being an asshole

The fact that I have to spend a morning writing on this to indulge someone who is this pretentious is frankly infuriating.

You're just paranoid. 

Who knew that being an ass would have repercussions?

Matt is definitely engaging in some choice words i would try to avoid. The sentiment though is not lost on me. You definitely engaged in behavior i would describe as "dickish" and "assholeish". I am certain matt just had a hard night arm wrestling american chefs for overcooking his spaghetti but never the less i will admonish him for this @MattAtlas . If we can move on from this particular point there is still this whole "investigation" point that i do not really understand. Is your contention that people can and have PMed admins in the past about things?

Its rarely as nefarious as it sounds. Usually just goes like this

1. Player PMs staff about X

2. Staff asks if they ahelped

3. Staff looks into it

4. Staff makes a determination

This with the caveat that anything past "IM BEING GRIEFED" or "Joe schmoe is spamming the n word on discord" is usually responded to with "You need to make a complaint/ahelp". Might be i need to remind staff of this. 

That's reasonable too, aaaand I won't deny I've been a dick.  I've said that from the start, I think I say it twice in the initial post.

What was particularly frustrating about how this was handled was that I was told there was an investigation against me early into March, was not contacted about the investigation until the end of March- so I knew something was up, but didn't know what, and couldn't, y'know, improve.  This definitely fostered paranoia on my end, since the staff I asked had no idea what investigation I was talking about.

Once I was contacted about the investigation, that line of inquiry was dropped with no resolution.  The next message from Matt was days later, with no follow up to the inquiry, about another topic.  Juani convinced me there was no ban fishing, which is why I haven't mentioned ban fishing here- the only mention of it is coming from screenshots with my conversation with Juani.  But I hope you understand the way this was handled- being aware of an investigation but told nothing about it for weeks, explaining my actions and getting no follow up but, instead, just getting a new line of questioning, regarding a new incident, and that all of this was done over Discord by the same admin instead of over player complaints or ahelps (I was on the server when I made those OOC comments, I played the next round, too, the one that wasn't extended, that vrow was also playing on, no bwoink)- it seemed very poorly handled and I did strongly suspect there was some sort of grudge.  It was handled poorly.

3 hours ago, Resilynn said:

What was particularly frustrating about how this was handled was that I was told there was an investigation against me early into March, was not contacted about the investigation until the end of March- so I knew something was up, but didn't know what, and couldn't, y'know, improve.  This definitely fostered paranoia on my end, since the staff I asked had no idea what investigation I was talking about.

When somebody makes a complaint on you, do you go to a staff member that is completely unrelated to ask what it is about? The answer is  quite clearly "no". Of course nobody else knew about those incidents, because I handled the logs for most of the time they were a thing.

The reason you didn't get responses is because I was under the assumption that not getting a response would be the same thing as being in the clear. This is quite simple to understand when you look at how I handle tickets in game, where I ask people why they did X, then close the ticket later if they've done nothing wrong.

Abo brought the security incidents thing to me on 24 February. Around this time I asked you about it. I got sick for an entire month (adminchat logs will support this) and later asked you about another incident I had on the backburner which was the Gonzales eye incident. During that, someone brought up you saying what got you ultimately banned up to Abo as I recall, who forwarded it to me and I investigated it.

The grudge thing is blatantly false. I can disprove this with screenshots, and I assume you know this, considering you're using past tense.

8 hours ago, Resilynn said:

When an ahelp is closed the player gets a notification that it has closed. That doesn’t happen over discord. 

Then this complaint is a lot of nothing. I'm glad you understand that this is the only thing that could be seen as a problem so far - that I didn't tell you things were handled because I thought you'd assume they were after not getting followups.

Edited by MattAtlas

This complaint is over an admin not using the forum complaint system.  It’s over an admin telling a player there’s an investigation into them weeks before contacting the player and providing no resolution. It’s over an admin banning a player for passive aggression, but swearing at that player repeatedly. 

Why are players held to higher standards here than staff?  I can’t comment on it being extended without you deciding I was actually yelling at someone in ooc, who I wasn’t yelling at in DMs, (If I said I wasn’t playing because it was vrow, why did I play the next round, which vrow was also playing?) but you can call players assholes and tell them they’re just paranoid?  You can be aggressive, but I can’t be passive aggressive?

I understand if my ban sticks because a pattern was established, but your pattern should be recognized too.  

I decided you were being toxic in OOC because you lied to me in DMs and I had the proof necessary to think this. This is usually what staff do. They decide if you broke the rules or not. If a player tells me "I didn't actually gank anyone" when they did in fact gank someone and they have 7 notes for this, I'm going to assume they ganked someone. This is the same thing. You can stop repeating this part now. It has no point beyond just being fluff with no meaning. e.

36 minutes ago, Resilynn said:

but you can call players assholes and tell them they’re just paranoid?

21 hours ago, MattAtlas said:

Sure. The language I used was a bit over the edge.

Have you missed the part where Garnascus said this was a problem?

36 minutes ago, Resilynn said:

It’s over an admin banning a player for passive aggression, but swearing at that player repeatedly. 

Where's this part in the original post, again? I am dead tired of you changing what this complaint is on a dime. Decide on something and stick to it before your credibility evaporates even further.

Edited by MattAtlas

Should I make another complaint for the swearing?  And generally, very unpleasant attitude, including, hilariously, a lot of passive aggression?

I figured it could just be handled here, since the thread was already up. 

Edited by Resilynn
15 minutes ago, Resilynn said:

Should I make another complaint for the swearing?  And generally, very unpleasant attitude, including, hilariously, a lot of passive aggression?

I figured it could just be handled here, since the thread was already up. 

I've already been warned by Garn for it.

• 2 weeks later...