Forcegloves: what they are and where to put them

duck

It doesn't change that the gear is never handed out. Engineers never see plasma cutters, for example, but I've caught multiple scientists with them in their satchels.

Isn't this an IC issue? Have you ever actually asked? I find that if I bother to ask any department for something (Chemistry, RnD, Cargo) politely that it is pretty common to get them. Heck, I've had a goodly number of RDs both here and on Bay12 give me Bags of Holding without prompting at all! Getting components is often as easy as a single PDA message with a polite request. I've even tested out a few genetic powers (shock resist)a few weeks back when a geneticist was advertising his finds over the newscaster. You can't fault someone for not giving out equipment if you fail to ask for said equipment in the first place. (Also, plasma cutters are junk. Completely pointless. Welders are more versatile and more useful.)

I mean, hell, just yesterday I saw that science was collaborating with Security to give out stun revolvers to officers.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did it. You did the thing. The "when I" thing.

I've asked on six seperate occasions for a swap the revolver for a stun variant and was ignored. I've seen other players attempt to gain access to Law Givers and other things as HOS and be denied.

for every 1/10 rounds that someone has ever bothered to hand things out, you'll find six where they already had the thing in their satchel to robust someone and three where they'll tell you to eff off.

The main point isn't that, tho. This doesn't increase Sec's potential. It increases RD AND antags who are scientists. That's what it always is. That's why id rather not see them even in RD, because then they just become another Lawgiver (I won't stop mentioning them, they have been nothing but a pain) or Laser Cannon. Something I wish I had while I watch a scientist rush up to my dying body to put a few more into me for good measure.

Our experiences are simply different then. Again, I don't generally have problems with science when I ask for things as long as I'm polite about it. I've done so as Engineering, Medical, and will happily do so as Security tonight. Perhaps rather than being a widespread issue, it might be your approach to attempting to gain access to said equipment?

Also, I state on my personal experiences as it is impossible for me to state on the difficulty of other players to get special equipment. We are all limited to our own experiences, and often reputation and actions IC have significant impact in getting equipment. Also, to be frank, many officers are kind of dickish (as can be several engineers), which can and will make science disinclined to help that department.

Don't forget the speed neckgrab. With both hands you can choke someone to death ridiculously quickly and they can't do shit because they're being neckgrabbed. Can't scream over headset, can't resist, can't move...

So, like. Why, again? So that duck can be a terrible terrible powergamer and live out their terrible dreams? I mean, with duck, it'd be okay. But if this is readily available to any other murderboning cock, then there's an issue.

I foresee forcegloves being nerfed harder than the sleepypen was.

please, people. if i wanted to stunlock someone, i'd use stungloves.

if i wanted to speed neckgrab someone, i'd stunglove them first.

get with the program, okay. stungloves: cheap, easy, risk-free, nearly cost free murder.

These don't really do anything stungloves don't do better, for cheaper. I don't really have any issues with lightsabers hitting as hard as bullets. That doesn't seem terribly wrong or bad to me. 60 seems okay.

this is more time and resource efficient.

you don't need to do crap, just know how to pop things into a machine and know what things give you research, or just buy it out of a damn uplink that requires nothing except rng.

i don't see the tradeoff here that makes it weak.

i hope your argument isn't that r&d is quicker and easier to do than making stungloves.

or that telecrystals are worth less than the time it takes to grab a battery out of assistant storage. i don't really understand what you are trying to say.

forcegloves: a semivisible rng/luck-controlled chance to stun someone for long enough to beat them silly or cuff them or whatever

stungloves: an invisible, 100% chance spammable stun that lasts long enough for whatever purposes you need (because you can spam it)

you can say, i guess, that 2x damage will let you kill people faster. well okay. it doesn't take very long to kill people who are down. the time difference between say, 4 esword hits and 2 is pretty much negligible. also, your sword can embed with forcegloves so if it happens on the first hit, you'll have to waste time pulling it out.

"Well stun gloves are arguably even more OP, so if we add this in, it's ok. Even though stun gloves serves its purpose better, apparently"

Can you understand why I disagree with this? Forcegloves wouldn't add anything to the atmosphere of roleplay. They'd be fucked around with and abused firsthand, just because robustness. Traitor/ERT-only or not, they're not really helpful for the roleplay perspective.

On the contrary, they add everything to roleplay; they open up more options for an enterprising antagonist who wants to do something besides shoot you or bomb you. There's definitely easier ways to kill people than walk up to them and punch/melee them to death - so why fly into a rant about it? "Balance" is not as relevant here as expanding options; to expect the station's equipment to be on par with that of the antagonist is, as I've stated in previous threads, ridiculous.

Corny as it sounds, the most powerful weapon in this game is your mind. I'll bring up the example of Janitor vs 2 Nuke Ops again. If pressed, I could probably even find a way to escape from the permabrig without any pre-planning. Equipment doesn't matter half as much as the individual making use of it.

The last 4 pages are just composed of 4 or so people screaming loudly through walls of text about how unbalanced the idea is, or complaining about who will have access. I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to place a vote of confidence that duck has done this before and knows what he's doing. It would be nice if you guys would give it a damn chance before devolving into the hypotheticals and condemning it prematurely.

I am all for the trial rounds if we can talk skull into it. We should make an online petition.

1138: i hope you are being dense for the sake of being dense. i really don't feel like explaining how adding rp values works. again. if you want to compile a list of things that 'don't add to the atmosphere of roleplay,' we can start with eswords and move on to, say, pepper spray and then onto all the extraneous improvised weapons lying around until we strip everything fun out of the game. the watered down version we're proposing for sec is not gamebreakingly powerful or a gamechanger. they're a cool option. i had to delete the rest of this paragraph because it was getting too condescending and i don't want to talk down to you. please, tell me you can think of at least one scenario forcegloves can throw off-kilter. it should not be very difficult.

brage: stay beautiful

rusty: i appreciate your faith but i have no idea what i'm doing and that has never stopped me from doing things

canon: yes please.

Okay, I was out of line. New viewpoint: Forcegloves look fun. They will add to people's fun and force people to play it more carefully around people with force gloves, right there it provides a challenge, and shows a tell that people need to think on their decisions, or they get rekt. That is, assuming it ever gets added to security any time soon. So, add force gloves, yes. To security, since really, in my opinion, antags have enough stuff at their disposal to have fun. They could even go out of their way to illegally procure them, so there's that.

But yeah, as for force gloves in general. Add them in, regardless of any of the points currently brought up. Test drive them, and those points will be addressed later. Provided people don't be dickbutts and say in an annoying sing-song tone of "I told you so!" Hypotheses for what could happen are not valid data. If it's broken, it gets fixed. You can't fix what's broken, otherwise you change something for nothing.

If they get abused in the worst-case scenarios with an intent to get them nerfed, then smak da utah shite outta da wankahs.