Human Social Media in 2462

Type (e.g. Planet, Faction, System): Idris, although there's a few bits for humanity in general.

Describe this proposal in a single sentence (12 word maximum): Humanity: Social media in the future and how Idris dominated it

How will this be reflected on-station? Think it could be shown through spam messages, loadout items and if VR is ever played up further, interesting things to link it to the lore.

Does this faction/etc do anything not achieved by what already exists? For something as big and only getting bigger these days social media has a very low presence in the lore. It's very vague, we know it exists but there's just nothing that can be ICly referenced outside of things like the relay, Elyra's VR things.

Why should this be given to lore developers rather than remain player created lore? I think it would give an opportunity to add another angle, however minor to certain news articles. Another thing is that really, if it entirely remains in the players hands it just becomes hard to really reference a specific "platform" and you'll run into some saying they're on Spacebook, others on Idrisgram. Giving something concrete for people to mention specifically goes a long way, I think.

Do you understand that if this is submitted, you are signing it away to the lore team, and that it's possible that it will change over time in ways that you may not forsee? Yep.

Long Description:

The key thing here is that in the year 2462 social media has a long time to develop and is used by billions upon billions of people. Humanity has been at this a lot. Titans have risen and fallen. Idris as the primarily service based megacorp has ended up victorious on the social front when it comes to humanity and continues to punch above its weight, as in the end they reach the widest audiences and so the other megacorps have a vested interest in engaging on these platforms.

Of course, in such a diverse and large place like the Spur, there's far more platforms than the few things listed here. Some may be banned or regulated harsher in many places in the Spur. Still, when it comes to humanity. This is what you would likely see.

Chirper: A twitter/facebook/instagram hybrid owned by Idris. Managed to roll over almost every other social media option by simply buying them out. A lot of companies have shares in this purely because advertisements reach a huge amount of people. This is the most-used and easiest-access social media platform in 2462, owing its success to a simplistic and catchy design. Chirps are much like tweets, and users can also post stories, much like Instagram.

Holo-Dive: Essentially an entire digital world, carefully managed and curated by Idris. It could be thought of as a merger between social media and an MMO, allowing its users to express themselves and live out their lives in ways they would not be able to in reality. People are mostly free to create and interact as their idealized selves as they "dive", though there can be issues with societies that ban certain personas, such as synthetics. The barrier to entry is not significant in any well developed space, utilizing Idris VR stations, neural laces or equipment that is very much like a stripped down, more comfortable to wear RIG (like a cybersuit). Perhaps family and friends are too far away to get together, so they meet within the virtual space and check out a holofilm at a theater. Just one of many reasons Holo-Dive is used.

64tan: A "privately-owned" social media alternative. Anonymous board chatting. One of the last truly free social media platforms. Nobody knows who actually owns it, and it is mostly lawless. It’s divided in many different boards. Conspiracy theories are quite common here, and this site has been the subject of many documentaries.

IRC (XRC): Because text chatting is simply never going to go out of fashion, and needs not be fancy. Many different clients. Likely something Frontier worlds would be quick to set up in absence of much else.

Note: Been sitting on this for a while and figured it'd be worth posting now. Credit to Matt as well, we thought up and wrote this together months ago 

There actually did used to be IC social media. There was a roleplayed out imitation twitter (Social Screeching) which can be found here: 

Really the whole NanoTrasen Public Network was essentially supposed to have that IC functionality. 

21 hours ago, WickedCybs said:

64tan: A "privately-owned" social media alternative. Anonymous board chatting. One of the last truly free social media platforms. Nobody knows who actually owns it, and it is mostly lawless. It’s divided in many different boards. Conspiracy theories are quite common here, and this site has been the subject of many documentaries.

A mysterious hacker known as "64tan." So who is this "64tan?"

Memes aside, I see you, I hear you. I think this is a tree we should be barking up and are only missing out on by not touching. I'm gonna spend some time mulling it over to get you some feedback, get ahold of me if I don't get back to you within a week.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...